Ability To Mute A Member?

(Allie) #25

He told me he was taking a break after an incident on here, but heā€™s still not come back :slightly_frowning_face:

(Marcos E Gonzalez) #26

Great suggestion Sophie - would LOVE for this feature to be implemented! OK dudes, get to work :grin:

(Ellen) #27

Damn, I was hoping to start seeing jalapenos again soon.

(Allie) #28

Hopefully @rustyk61 will see all these tags and come backā€¦ :grinning:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #29

I bet thereā€™s some scripting that could be obtained to do the blocking for you. Something for Chrome or Firefox. I recall having all sorts of cool Vbulletin tools in Firefox that may have included a block feature. Of course this site uses much better software than vBulletin.

(hottie turned hag) #30

Yep annoys me too.:expressionless: but I get annoyed by many things that smack of melodrama, attention seeking, and anything that generally makes more of something than it actually is. ā€œI fast (avoid eating) for 12 hrs, from 7p to 7aā€ :no_mouth: ermā€¦okā€¦ thatā€™s basically just not eating after dinner.

I learned today that thereā€™s no feature on here to ignore/mute users, only threads, and that too annoys me as this forum is my new obsession, and not being able to not see certain posters is spoiling the experience somewhat. What a nifty feature thatā€™d be, I wonder why it is missing.

What did you learn today?
(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Itā€™s missing because the programmers who developed the Discourse software, on which these forums run, have strong ideas about the type of on-line community they want to foster. If you want to learn more about their reasoning, go to https://meta.discourse.org/ and poke around. Youā€™ll find it highly interesting, whether you agree with them or not.

(hottie turned hag) #32

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I shall def read it now because I cannot fathom what harm they perceived could be done to any online community by allowing folks to place other folks on ignore; as long as the ignored party isnā€™t notified thereof, where is the harm.
I see only benefit from the feature.

ETA: oh hecknaw too much to sift through over there. If you feel inclined sum it up for me willya? Their reasoning? @PaulL

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

I learned to just live with the mute thread option. It is more frustrating to see postings by those who just joined and didnā€™t do any reading of what came before them, than someone whoā€™s opinions/ideas I donā€™t value/agree with, so I just mute the topics and get one with my life.

Besides if you have to read a certain personā€™s posting you can use the search button, just type in their name and voila, their posting are right there for you.

edited to add: Oops, didnā€™t mean to direct this your way Paul. Just a general comment on muting in general.

(hottie turned hag) #34

@collaroygal but the dilemma is when a poster whose posts one wishes to not see posts in a thread one is interested in following thereā€™s no way to avoid the posts without avoiding via muting the entire thread.

Iā€™m truly baffled as to what harm could come of having a mute/ignore poster feature. If thereā€™s some logic behind it Iā€™m missing Iā€™d feel better about it not being available but cannot think of any :woman_shrugging:
(sorry to belabor the point)

(Running from stupidity) #35

Yeah, me too. #BECAUSECOMMUNITY, apparently. Which is also why likes are rationed, I guess. #BECAUSELOGIC

(hottie turned hag) #36

@juice hang on I am well and truly baffled :confounded:
I admit I eschew all social media except anonymous (one can choose to be I mean) type forums like this and though a geek from way back am pretty clueless as to popular cultural mindset online these days so do expound on #becausecommunity.
I fail to see how an ignore feature (which I have utilized on other forums with zero detriment to anyone) would harm anyone?

If anything it enhances the vibe of the ā€œplaceā€ because one may eliminate that ick feeling one gets when seeing certain posts/posters and as the blocked poster cannot know they are on ignore, no offense can ensue.

(Running from stupidity) #37

We can form a club! (If I did clubs, I mean.)

No idea, thatā€™s just what I kept reading when I was looking into it months ago, when I was trying to work out how to do what all forum software does, that is, block posters you donā€™t want to see.

Mmmm.

Yup. I really only live in the accountability threads these days, and a few posters Iā€™d rather not bother reading have been popping up in the threads I read quite frequently in the last few days, and Iā€™m jammed - I donā€™t want to see their stuff, but I do want to keep reading the threads. As you say, itā€™s very heavy-handed and paternalistic.

(hottie turned hag) #38

*hug * for solidarity @juice
#misanthropy4lyf
#IntolerantOldCrone

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Since I have already pointed out that this is a feature over which no one involved with these forums has any control, and since I have already posted the site where you can constructively direct your complaints and suggestions, and since you are all still continuing to bitch here on these forums where it cannot possibly do any good, I am forced to the conclusion that you are not interested in dealing with this matter, but rather in complaining for complainingā€™s sake.

The Dudes run these forums as a free service to benefit the greater community, and it seems base ingratitude to complain, especially about something over which the Dudes have no control. The other admins and I are getting tired of hearing these complaints, and I in particular am ready to start dealing with them directly.

(Running from stupidity) #40

Because I can only like this once: :heart::heart::heart::heart:

(Running from stupidity) #41

So what does this mean, exactly?

(hottie turned hag) #42

@PaulL Ack confrontation makes me super anxious :open_mouth:
I was truly asking and truly baffled, not complaining so much as wishing to understand the why of it as Iā€™ve not encountered it prior to now.

You did give me a link and I did look around there but thereā€™s so much info it was hard to find the reasoning itself so figured some wise heads here would be able to explain.

As a longtime Linux user I am def grateful to and well aware of the labors of any devs who provide free awesome ā€œstuffā€ and in no way am blaming whomever runs the forum; that you inferred as much from my posts honestly amazes me. Apologies to the admins as no aspersion was meant to be cast upon them. At all.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

We have repeatedly tried to direct complaints to the place where they might do some good. Discussing the matter here is pointless. When we can do so, we are more than happy to shape the forums in whatever way works best for the members. To keep harping on matters we cannot change is simply not helpful.

(hottie turned hag) #44

@PaulL I gotcha on that aspect. I only posted about it more than once in REPLY TO those who replied to my initial query; I wasnā€™t trying to belabor the point (and actually said as much) itself or badger. I hate that it came across that way.

Had no one replied I surely wouldnā€™t have made multiple posts about it.
I swear I just wanted someone to explain the thinking behind it, not CHANGE it as I figured that was futile or itā€™d already have been implemented. Seemed quicker way to get an explanation than digging round the other site.

#chastised