What did you learn today?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1384

I learned that dreams can be metaphors for life. “There I was running to catch the train to the amusement park. Where is everyone? Why no lines? Oh no I missed the train!” You see earlier in my dream I had stopped at a buffet table and had to stuff my face with salty, crunchy potato chips.

Literally carbs take the fun out of life.

I also learned the blur is back. :+1:

(Libby) #1385

What I learned yesterday: a 200 pound pig produces roughly 20 lbs of bacon.

That’s a good tagline, Eric!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #1387

I learned that cold bacon is even better that hot bacon!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1388

When I’m not too lazy to prep my 3 lbs of bacon ends and pieces on the weekends I take a baggie of bacon to work for lunch and eat it cold and I thoroughly enjoy it.

It’s because the fat solidifies in the fridge, it’s amazing.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #1390

Today I learned that my favourite kind of olives come with a blend of olive oil and rapeseed oil…and that I’m not happy about that! Kinda annoyed at myself for not looking at the label before. I shall be buying olives in brine until I find a trustworthy source that doesn’t mix nasty oils in with my lovely olives!!!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #1391

I’ve had to hold back on a couple of things I’ve seen on Facebook…can’t be bothered to comment! :joy:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1392

I doubt it, but a lot of them talk from out of theirs. Crotchbook.

(Diane) #1393

I learned out it’s easy to pasteurize eggs by sous vide.

(Heather Meyer) #1394

What is the difference between…

RAPEseed oil? and GRAPEseed oil???

We have GRAPEseed oil in our store but we dont have the other one?? I hear rumors that RAPEseed oil is bad for you? So is GRAPEseed oil bad to use too???

(Heather Meyer) #1395

#jealous

I wish i had a sou vide just for that purpose…would make ice cream making faster i should think.

(Janelle) #1396

You probably do. Rapeseed is basically Canola oil.

Grape seed oil

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1397

Rapeseed oil is canola oil, or rather canola (Canada oil, low-acid) is made from a variety of rapeseed.

No seed oil is a good idea. Nina Teicholz has a lecture on YouTube in which she describes the steps through which seed oils have to pass in order to be shelf-stable and palatable. Stick to olive, coconut, and avocado oils, or switch to butter, tallow, lard, and bacon grease!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1398

Oregon farmers maintain huge fields of rapeseed for oil production. Pretty to look at, but let’s leave it at that.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1399

I recall learning about rapeseed oil years ago and that it’s a great crop because pests won’t touch it because it’s nasty and also that the oil is used in machines as lube. I quit canola oil after that and never looked back.

(KCKO, KCFO) #1400

Ketoers are not the only people to love their butter. Interesting article about Irish and Scottish butter in bogs from Early Bronze Age (c. 1700 BC) to the 17th century AD

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1401

Yeah, we canvassed that earlier.

(Karim Wassef) #1402

Always good to take published results with a pinch of salt… and why n=1 (self experimentation) is likely to become more prevalent… in my n=1 opinion :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1403

I like Derek. He’s a very interesting guy.