Bog butter? Uhh...I'll pass

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

“[W]axy, phlegm-colored chunks” that “resemble greasy, anemic soufflés, or sweating cheese balls” that smell like “parmesan cheese, baby vomit, and rancid milk” is not the international foodie keto experience I’m lookin’ for.

But they dug up a bunch of them in Ireland, you know, case you’re interested.

What I Learned Today, The Sequel
(Karim Wassef) #2

wow. If they don’t find pathogens in them, I’d absolutely try some!

We’re talking 3500 year old butter made from ancestral cow breeds stored in the only state that could keep for millennia!..

Please pass it forward… (once the doctors have checked for bugs, of course)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Two words.

Baby. Vomit.

(Karim Wassef) #4

That’s someone’s opinion.

some people would never touch blue cheese cause it’s “stinky”… or whisky cause it “burns”…

acquired tastes.

(less is more, more or less) #5

I get it, it stinks. Here’s a different way to think of this: butter was so valuable to Ireland that they went out of their way to uniquely store it. They’ve done so for centuries. And to think the potato (introduced by the gentry in the 17th century) is what wrecked Ireland.

This was an illuminating and fun read, thanks!

Now we know how all those 1st century trendy keto diets all played out. :wink:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

Marinated in the same bog as mummies ain’t my taste. Blue cheese, on the other hand, is delicious.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

Hey, I’m all for the stinky. Stilton, blue, whiskey-soaked goat (sounds like a wild weekend in a Portland pub, don’t it?), bring it on. I tried Limberger for the first time a month ago and couldn’t understand what the fuss was all about. It wasn’t half bad. Baby vomit, on the other hand…

(sigh) They should’ve stayed keto.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

I love blue cheese so much I smoke store bought Blue for extra flavor on beef.

(Karim Wassef) #9

Bah!! That’s like saying don’t eat dairy cause cows poop… proximity isn’t necessarily contamination. :smiley:

It’s fat … unless there are pathogens, it’s food.

Another thought- a group of people labored really really hard to make and preserve and store that fat. They probably perished without sharing where it was (or some other horrible fate 3500 years ago). There’s so much of it, it may have been an entire village’s backup. That contribution should be recognized, respected and appreciated by any beneficiaries… always thank the chef.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Still not eatin’ it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

@daddyoh I’ll have to load up my bong!:crazy_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Rancid oils are not at all healthy or ketogenic. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Karim Wassef) #13

don’t know if they’re rancid … not what I got from the article.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

The smell is a clue!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

‘Xactly. Not eatin’ that.

(Karim Wassef) #16

bog is a unique curing/preserving environment. I need to know more before judging it as rancid.

some people’s sense of smell is oversensitized and biased :smiley:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

And I ain’t tryin no Paleolithic antelope jerky they dig up either for that matter!

(Karim Wassef) #18

mmmm mammoth jerky…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #19

Hummmmmm

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

I needed that laugh, thanks!