What did you Keto today?

(Laurie) #8639

Hi, I’m a new member returning to this way of eating. Happy to be here! These are the “meals” I ate today–a bit more dairy than I normally have:

1. Cheese, bell peppers.

2. Celery, hummus.

3. Italian sausage, kale, cheese.

4. Small amount of sour cream with stevia.

5. Powdered greens, supplements.

(Ellie) #8640

Hummus is pretty high in carbs. Do you stick to less than 20g carbs per day?

(TJ Borden) #8641

I actually skip the oven and just bring it to temp in the smoker, so it generally ends up smoking for 3-4 hours.

(Jane) #8642

Ah, thanks. I wondered about that. Lots of trouble to soak to mesquite or hickory chips and fire up the smoker for only half an hour and then move it to the oven.

(Lonnie Hedley) #8643

(Doug) #8644

Disappointing picture; fluorescent lighting makes it look more green/yellow - in reality it’s more orange.

From a 2 lb/907g block of colby cheese. Warmed up some from refrigerator temperature - I’m guessing it’s halfway or a little more of the way to room temp. - still cool to the touch. It gets softer and more pliable, then, and it’s easy to grab a hunk and bend it, breaking it off the main chunk.

Vastly different than just cutting a piece of colder cheese with a knife - there is considerably more aroma, and the taste is magnified. There is also that visible “curd structure” and somehow this makes a big difference too - you put some in your mouth and don’t even have to chew it - magically, the essense is there.

Absolute Heaven.

(Laurie) #8645

Thanks, @Jacymac. Between the hummus and lots of veg and the powdered greens, plus 6 carbs in the sausage, I guess it added up to too much; pee stick didn’t show any color.

I do want to stay below 20 carbs daily. I am aware of the carb content of everything I eat. I think it’s more of a discipline problem, thinking I can get away with a bit of this or that. If I want hummus-like dip, I can make it out of canned black soybeans (no tahini). And cut back on vegetables and/or powdered greens.

Lesson learned!

(Sophie) #8646

All cheeses benefit from allowing to come to room temp. I always take mine out of the fridge an hour before dinner. It really does up the flavor factor! :+1:

(Lonnie Hedley) #8647

Mmm, fat.

(Carol M) #8648

yummy! I have been making creamy mushroom sauce after cooking a steak lately. THE BEST FOOD AROUND! I feel so deprived… ha.

(Doug) #8649

:smile: Lonnie, you can darn near just put that bowl back in the cupboard.

(Lonnie Hedley) #8650

Who said I didn’t? :joy::rofl:

Yes ma’am, I think I can put creamy mushrooms in thickened sauce on top of anything I eat. :slight_smile: Sometimes I do mushrooms with broccoli added, but mostly just mushrooms.

I usually use a good amount of butter and heavy whipping cream, and let it cook while I’m making the meat. Whatever I’m cooking, be is steak, hamburger, chicken, etc. Once that’s done, I move the mushrooms and sauce over to that pan to make sure to gather the remnants of the cooked meat to finish them off. Just takes in the butter, Olive oil, seasonings, etc. … Comes out really good.

(Christine) #8652

Forgot to take before photo of my ridiculous burger…

(Wagyu burger rare in goose fat, leeks, mushrooms, garlic, fried egg, 1000 island, horseradish, siracha, pickles, FECKING BONE MARROW, salt and pepper!)

But here’s the after:

(matt ) #8653

I’ve found there is no good reason to soak wood chips. Others agree

(TJ Borden) #8654

So more like what I might Keto (or not Keto) tomorrow: I hit our local watering hole tonight for happy hour wings and a few gin and sodas (Bombay Safire muddled with lime is DELICIOUS). I was thrilled to win a rack of ribs, then I saw the package. So… to Keto, or not to Keto?.. That’s over 80 grams of sugar for the rack. They’re already pre-cooked, but I’m thinking (as crazy as it sounds) of rinsing them off, hitting them with my dry rub, and bringing them to temp in my smoker. I know they won’t be as good as normal ribs, but I can’t bring myself to chuck a rack of ribs either.

(matt ) #8655

My guess is you will be just fine with rinsing off the sauce but I am sure others will disagree. I don’t sweat the small stuff like that…

(TJ Borden) #8656

I don’t usually either. It’s not terribly uncommon to have a 100 grams carb day, but I have a feeling there would be a noticeable difference of too much fat head pizza and an 80 grams of sugar hit. :dizzy_face:

(Ellie Baum) #8657

Still teaching myself to eat more fish…tuna and cabbage in two different ways:

Tuna coleslaw with homemade mayo. It was quite nice and light.

Tuna “Noodle” Casserole. It was creamy and heavy. Noodles were sauteed cabbage in Buffalo butter ghee

(TJ Borden) #8658

That’s one of those dishes that looks to good to be Keto. Nicely done