What did you Keto today?

(TJ Borden) #7757

Have you had any issues with smoke detectors going off when you go to sear?

(Karen) #7758

Gorgeous! Low carb, balanced with well oiled keto veggies, and lovely herbed fatty lamb. A feast for the eyes!

K

(Karen) #7759

Mmmmm mushrooms, perfect meat. And, while still low carb, a pretty salad.

K

(Sophie) #7760

Thanks! It was really yummy too. I just ate the second half of that meal for my lunch (breakfast). :yum:

(Ernest) #7761

Nope, never. You really don’t need a super hot pan to sear meat. Just dry the surface thoroughly.

(Lonnie Hedley) #7762

This was my mistake years ago when I was first learning how to cook in cast iron. Now I don’t go over medium, and most everything besides steak is actually medium low.

(TJ Borden) #7763

When I go from the sous vide to sear, I get the pan to where it’s nealry smoking on its own

(Steve) #7764

It really depends just how much sear you’re going for. (and whether it’s a sear or a char) - char (blackened) is super thin, at a higher temperature. I’m a fan of that for some things (eg. catfish)
For the caramelization (Maillard reaction) that you’re looking at on a lot of meats, medium-high is fine.

I’ve actually been finding I’ve been using my Searzall a lot more for steaks, rather than my cast iron. (was using the two in tandem before) - the torch is handy for getting the edges. Making sure you get the fat as crispy as you want. :slight_smile:

(Mike W.) #7765

One olive burger, one burger with a whipped smoky jalapeño cheese, and a healthy serving of Brussels gratin.

(Aimee Moisa) #7766

Steak & grilled onions and asparagus cooked in bacon nectar. Plus avocado, of course!

(Ernest) #7767

I sear the steak on the sides while the pan is heating up.

(Steve) #7768

Yep, that works too. :slight_smile:

(Ashley) #7769

What all do you put on the Brussels?

(Mike W.) #7770

We loosely follow this recipe. I usually pour the “leftover” bacon fat over them before baking.
http://12tomatoes.com/bacon-brussels-sprouts-gratin/

(Candy Lind) #7771

Do you go to a butcher for these, or cut them off a primal yourself? I ADORE beef ribs but haven’t found a place to get them.

(Sophie) #7772

That looks awesome! Added to my recipe list, thanks. :smile:

(Shayne) #7773

I got them at Kroger already cut. Nobody wanted them, apparently, and they were in the discount bin. Heck yeah, I snatched them up!

(Ashley) #7774

Thank you

Paprika fried chicken thighs, corgetti (fried in ghee) mushrooms and a freshly made garlic, basil & pinenut pesto (sitting on top as hadent mixed into the zetti yet)

Pesto is just a large handfull of fresh basil, pinenuts, parmisan, fresh garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper. All mashed up together.

(Andrew Anderson) #7776

First try at clotted cream in the crock pot. A tad over done but yummy, creamy, and rich. Almost to good!