What did you Keto today?

(Lonnie Hedley) #4638

I have a TON of cast iron. It’s all I cook with. This little beauty is a 6.5 inch that a friend gave me so it fits just fine in a toaster oven.

Even though your pan came preseasoned I like to add 3-4 more seasonings before use. You can just start cooking with lots of fat, and that should be fine, but extra layers don’t hurt. I heat the pan to 300, then coat in fat of choice, mine is currently lard. Let cook for 15 minutes, take a dry paper towel (I use the blue shop towels because they have less lint) and wipe out excess oil. Raise temp to 350 for 15 minutes, wipe excess oil, raise temp to 400 for 15 minutes, wipe excess oil, then raise temp to 450 and bake for an hour. Let cool, rinse and repeat 2-3 more times.

Or, just cook a lot of bacon and fatty steaks.

(What The Fast?!) #4639

Do you use soap to clean it? Or just water?

(Lonnie Hedley) #4640

When you heat oil to a certain temp it changes the polymers. Soap will not break down the polymers, so you can use soap if you want. If you cook on low heat, you won’t need soap. If anything “sticks”, when the pan is still hot, I just toss a little water in the pan to break up the bits for a few seconds, dump water out. Wipe excess with a paper towel. Leave on stove to dry.

Nothing sticks in my frittata pan, so that just gets any excess oil wiped after removing the frittata.

When you preheat the pan, it gets hot enough anything you might be worried about by not using soap is killed off. So if it’s been seasoned properly, there is never a need to use soap, but don’t feel like you can’t.

(Candy Lind) #4641

What she doesn’t know WILL hurt her!

(Candy Lind) #4642

The only way I’ve ever eaten tripe was in Christmas menudo. I may have to scare up a traditional recipe and keto-fy it this year. Someone always brings tamales, and I need to keto-fy those, too. I know some bits of the Latino community are coming around to low carb, but it’s slow going.

(Candy Lind) #4643

Yes, it IS pricey. Frank’s is what I put in my food tracker since I have no idea on the nutrition for the FM stuff, and I’ll probably use it when I’m eating my homemade stuff as well. Close enough, I figure. It’s not “horseshoes or hand grenades,” as the saying goes! :crazy_face:

(Sophie) #4644

My lunch (break fast) of cold, left over smoked turkey thigh on a keto bun slathered with baconaise and half a left over avocado…I’m full as a tick! :blush: The dog begged me for what she could get. :dog:

(mary6aros) #4646

My nine year old helped me grocery shop and I was pleased that he found cheap Brussels in the freezer section! To my dismay though I didn’t read the package…

Do not dispair, however, they are salvageable.
I’ll just fry them up in some healthy bacon fat,:heartbeat:

(TJ Borden) #4647

Repeat of the Costco pork roast like yesterday, but this one was sous vide for 24 hours (versus yesterday’s 18 hours), because…science. I realized the pork is actually REALLY lean, so I made a quick Alfredo like sauce to top it with. There was a noticeable difference with the extra 6 hours.

(matt ) #4648

Cooked up some odds and end.

Italian sausage, ground beef, pepperoni, oregano, thyme, garlic and onion

Serve with sauce and cheese of choice. I just had mine as-is.

(Rob) #4649

Baked Pork Belly Slices with Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Bacon & Sliced Almond, cooked in goose fat, Halloumi Fries and Garlic Mushrooms…

I’d already had 3 pre-cooked bacon rashers, with some cream cheese to break my fast, so I was unable to finish it!

Belly Pork left-overs will go well on my Fat Head Pizza for tomorrow night’s dinner.

(Rob) #4650

I made @tammy_steve1219’s Super Simple Cheesecake with Pecan crust yesterday. I took lots of photos and adjusted the recipe by adding a couple of pinches of salt to the crust for a salted caramel taste… was delish!

I’m going to put a new topic in the recipes section when I get a mo. along with all the photos.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4651

@Ernest, Where and what kind of sausages are you getting? Every time I look at them I see CARBS. Scares the hell out of me to eat one. Have you found a lower carb version of a good sausage?

(Garry (Canada)) #4652

Broccoli & Cheddar Soup.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4653

Notable improvement or just difference?

(Lonnie Hedley) #4654

Meat lovers frittata. And my nonstick cast iron.

(TJ Borden) #4655

18 hours still had a “roast” texture. I could cut it with a fork, but it was easier with a knife. 24 hours and the fork cut it very easily. I liked the 24 hour better. I’m might try s 36 or even 48 hour after this weeks Zornfast.

I wasn’t sure what to expect. Pre sous vide, I generally cooked these in the slow cooker and after 8 hours on low it would fall apart and I’d turn it into pulled pork.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4656

Very lean pulled pork, I would guess.

Thanks. I tend to keep em short and steaky.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4657

Decided to change it up a bit tonight…

(TJ Borden) #4658

No jalapeños?