What did you Keto today?

(Rob) #4618

How long does that take?

(Candy Lind) #4619

In small batches like this (quart jars), it ferments faster and might actually taste good by about Wednesday or so. I can let it go much longer than that, however, based on my taste preference (I like it sour, so it might be next weekend before I dig into it.). Like I said, itā€™s my first batch, but Iā€™m excited because itā€™s actually pretty easy (and I will no longer have to pay $7 a pint :astonished: for good fermented kraut at the farmerā€™s market).

(Tessy M.) #4620

Man thatā€™s pricey! Weā€™re spoiled here! Franks Kraut is from the small town of Franksville a few miles from where I live. Same county. Itā€™s a staple in the diet around here!

(What The Fast?!) #4621

Do you grease the cast iron pan? Does it stick at all?
How long did you bake it and at what temperature???

(Victoria Mc Coy) #4622

Iā€™m usually not a food photo type, but as a newbie, Iā€™m amazed at how good these new keto meals actually are. Fathead pizza totally rocks!!!

I so need to start doing this. I love sauerkraut.

Iā€™m sure I have recipes floating around for it but would you mind sharing yours?

(Lonnie Hedley) #4624

All my cast iron is well seasoned so nothing ever sticks, although I did add a small amount of lard. I do these in my toaster oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Iā€™ll just take your word on that one, Ernest. :laughing:

I had some riblets soaking in beer since yesterday and wasnā€™t sure what to do with them. I pulled out the cast iron, wrapped them in peppercorn bacon and into the oven they went.

Forgive meā€¦ No picturesā€¦ Roasted chicken breastsā€¦ Covered in melted cheddar cheeseā€¦ Sprinkled with crispy baconā€¦ Top this with some pico (onion, tomato and cilantro)ā€¦ So goodā€¦ Served with shredded cabbage topped with mayo and a squeeze of limeā€¦ Awesome dinner!

(Candy Lind) #4628

Hereā€™s the link, but itā€™s so basic even a 63-yo can remember it! :crazy_face:
Homemade mason jar sauerkraut
Itā€™s basically cabbage & a little salt, and the fun part is massaging and mashing it by hand. :innocent: I decided right off that I would want fermentation lids, and these looked to be high quality and not as complicated as some others:
Fermentation Lids

(What The Fast?!) #4629

that egg souffle fit in your toaster oven??! Also, any tips on caring for the pan or for seasoning? I just got my first cast iron - it came pre-seasoned.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #4630

Your frittatas are always so fluffyā€“how? Mine fall flat once they cool.

~Class of 2017

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #4631

My Mother-In-Law had a cast iron pan from her grandmother. I have it now. The most important rules she told me were:

Preheat before putting anything in it
Never use soap or detergents
Always burn off the food, re-oil and reheat before putting away

Have fun!
~Class of 2017

(Rob) #4632

That crackling looks amazing!

I got some pork skin from Morrisons for pennies, and while the edges crisped to some extent, it curled up in the open and the majority of it was still chewy. How do you cook yours?

(Jennifer Patterson) #4633

That crackling was from Morrisons! Always snap it up when they have it!
Just lay it out on a baking tray, sprinkle some salt and paprika and roast. I check it around 30 mins, add a bit more salt if its not crackling!

(Rob) #4634

Iā€™ll try again. Do you cook it starting from room temperature or straight from the fridge? The last lot I did was previously frozen, so maybe that had some effect.

(Jennifer Patterson) #4635

Straight from the fridge. Iā€™ve never cooked it from frozen but have defrosted it and cooked it and it work out.

(Rob) #4636

It was defrosted before cooking. :wink: Iā€™ll give it another go anyway. Thanks! :smiley:

(Lonnie Hedley) #4637

Disclaimer Mine flatten to about half what the picture shows. But that doesnā€™t look as nice. :blush: