What did you keto today? Part V (son of the cousin of the sequel)

food

(Robin) #221

Why is it I never remember to take a photo until I’m putting away the leftovers? Here’s the remains of a lovely pair of hunky pork chops, air fried. I wish there had been some fat, but it’s a good change from my usual beefy fare.
If you’re a wagering type, odds are good that I’ll finish it off cold, straight from the fridge.

Oh sorry for being late! It’s pork, I am almost sure that it was pork chuck, a bit too fatty for this so it released some fat. Leaner or leaner parts of chuck would be fine for this… Not like it was any bad :wink:
We don’t have scotch eggs here, I heard about that dish a few years ago. That has a smaller meat part. This is a meatloaf with multiple eggs in it :slight_smile: But they are probably similar ingredients wise… Considering people obviously do them differently. The traditional recipe for my dish had buns soaked in milk, I don’t know why, it really doesn’t need it. Probably to make it cheaper…? Though it’s a somewhat fancy holiday dish… Or people can’t handle protein sources alone, I don’t know, I can :slight_smile: (And even so, it’s eaten with potatoes or something. We had potatoes with it when I was a kid. Well, one very common dish is potato pasta, carbs with carbs, this thing is better even with carbs… But it so, so, so doesn’t need them, in the contrary.)

Today I made a 4 cheese not-pizza (pretty much an omelet) but it was kinda ugly so no photo :slight_smile: It was very, very good, my SO was happy with his carby version as well. I realized I LOVE Gorgonzola, I just shouldn’t use too much as it’s super flavorful. And creamy.

You all put so lovely photos here… :smiley: I think I should do some big egg dish myself, I never do that and it’s not always fun to make every few eggs differently, I don’t really want several course meals… I decided I won’t do scrambled eggs below 5 but adding interesting things is probably useful. I made quiche a few times but somehow stopped (probably due to the too much dairy in it. I have times when it’s fine but I like to keep it low. And I am a big lover of the simple scrambled eggs…)

Sounds nice… After all my simple roasts and stews in the last 2 years, I start to think making something like this. My high-carber SO could eat it with pasta… I am not interested in most vegs anymore but onions and tomatoes are still my favs. And nothing is wrong with mushrooms.

Though at this point I would be quite happy with pork and salt only. I happened to find myself without my staple meat for a while, I never miss meat but now I am back to carnivore-ish and need it (and I love it, I just don’t miss it. but I miss something when I try to live on mostly eggs).

I keep reading and looking and now I wonder why I ever try to make photos about my food. It never will be nearly as pretty as yours! I am not envious, I never wanted to be good at gastro photography. Some decent, still not awesome flower macro shots are enough for me (and good photos of hummingbird hawk-moths! that’s my passion). But sometimes I am displeased and want to get better. But I don’t want it sooo much…

And I want a blue plate. My best friend has one too and it’s a great color, one of the very few blue shades I like (about the same as @Hallie’s)… it goes well with scrambled eggs…
But it seems I will get some Snugglepot and Cuddlepie stuff and that will be fun :smiley: I only have a Hansel and Gretel one but the pattern is always covered with food… Maybe one day I just put it there empty…

I usually have the idea right before I decide my food is ugly, it’s nothing interesting or I am lazy and especially hungry…
But sometimes I am inspired.
I keep the camera in the kitchen (old half-professional Canon with 3 lenses and multiple CF cards nearby). Hungry me surely wouldn’t go upstairs for it and it’s a huge chore to get the photo from my phone (I need to get the mini SD card out and put into a card reader. even my fingers are big for that almost nothing. the cord doesn’t work), the tablets aren’t so great.

Is there some other way for it…? I am pretty serious. I love my cold pork :smiley:

Tonight was my return to my weekly favourite! I made two platefuls…one for tomorrow as well, a la lazy keto.

So that’s savoy cabbage steamed for 4 minutes, added to (already frying in garlic infused olive oil) mixture of lardons and smoked pancetta, add a generous (2 table spoon fills at least) of salted butter, sprinkle with garlic and pepper, transfer to other pan to keep warm, then fry off a punnet of quartered mushroom in that olive oil again until browned, transfer to the cabbage/pancetta pan, then fry the chopped liver slices for three minutes each side in same olive oil at about 3/4 heat. Plate up and enjoy flavour heaven.

(Robin) #224

Wowzers! That’s awesome.

(Butter Withaspoon) #225

@coopdawg Yes yes yes YESSSSS!!! That is a gourmet delicious dinner there!

Thanks for the blue bowl compliments Shinita, I’m especially happy because I made the bowl with clay and glazed it myself. Love the blue I discovered.

I just had an uncolourful yet delicious chicken and zucchini soup, from scratch of course. I’ve done a bit of insulin reset the last 2 days, breaking my fast late after exercise such that I am buzzing with ketones (probably) and shouldn’t talk so fast to my students. Buzz buzz buzzzzz.
I have enough soup for days

Unfortunately, I’m the opposite…this week I’ve been breaking my fast at about 10am, and maybe having a keto friendly snack at around 10pm as well. I’ll need to wise up as I’m getting my bloods done Friday week. The weight is staying off though, and I feel fine.
Just broke my fast this morning with this bad boy:

I bag of spinach sautéed in olive oil, add chopped spring onions and half sliced baby plum tomatoes.
Add three eggs for the omelet, season to your taste, then top with cheddar cheese and stick under the grill to melt. Took about 10 minutes to prepare, cook and eat!

(Cathy) #227

Blackened shrimp and asparagus

(UsedToBeT2D) #228

The rooster was not very tasty. But the beagles are still enjoying him.

(Robin) #229

Snort

I had a delicious one tonight.

Asparagus spears steamed for about 4 mins whilst I sautéed the mushrooms and red pepper.
Then I added asparagus to the mushrooms & peppers in the pan, added a little more olive oil, a few dashes of Soy and Worcestershire sauce, sprinkled liberally with garlic granules, then seasoned with paprika, pepper, salt and So-Low salt (for the potassium content). I added the Worcestershire sauce by accident thinking it was soy sauce…but the combination of everything made a very tasty sauce. The rib eye steak was cooked last, 1 minute each side on fairly high heat, add a bit of oil and do a further minute each side. Was lovely and succulent pink inside. Yip- rib eye is the way forward, and the rarer the better.

(Butter Withaspoon) #231

That looks freakin a-mazing coopdawg! I’m out of meat at the moment so I must make a mercy dash to the butchers for some lamb. I hope tonight’s meal looks half as good (I have mushrooms!)

And clackley, same goes for your divine looking shrimp and asparagus. So good!

I love asparagus and have been trying to grow a patch, but the big trees compete after a few good years. It’s a pity because I have a magic purple variety that changes colour when cooking

Back again to being a bit lazy tonight for main meal.
But absolutely delicious all the same.
Can’t get enough of cabbage and pancetta / lardons at the moment.
And mushrooms, of course.
Savoy cabbage steamed for 4 mins then added to already frying smoked lardons and/or pancetta. Mushrooms were in there too. Season to your liking.
That photo is about a third of a savoy cabbage…wee are talking pence. But delicious and nutritious.
The mushrooms were half price. The lardons are comparatively cheap these days, compared to other meats. The drink is a pint glass of slimline G & T…because I’ve been on standby all week and i deserve it! :wink:

(Robin) #233

Your version of lazy looks like my version of having my act together. Yummo!

It doesn’t take long, and cooking takes one’s mind off the news in the background.
:slight_smile:

(Robin) #235

I bought my husband ear buds so he can listen to the news 24/7 if he wants. Best investment ever!
My recent cooking expeditions have been with my new air fryer. Man oh man, great for meat!

I have one of those Tefal air fryers. All I used to use it was for frozen chips (French fries) and scampi and the like. Since going Keto, everything is oven or pan or steam.

Or slow cooker!

(Butter Withaspoon) #238

Good evening all. I made short work of 2 eggs on a bed of buttered zucchini with onion, on a bed of gold satin with mythological creatures

(Robin) #239

I have not found a steak I like better than air fryer. Can get the outside beautifully crispy seared and the inside rare. Medium rare, whatever, and all the juices trapped inside.

I must try that. The Tefal air fryer has a moving paddle though, so I don’t know if that would ruin the steak flesh before it cooked.