What did you keto today? Part V (son of the cousin of the sequel)

food

Tonight I steamed the rest of the cabbage (shredded), then fried it with pancetta and butter, garlic pepper and paprika. Served up with three beer battered chicken goujons from a local takeaway. I know!!! It’s cheating…but I was called out to work (HV network problems causing plant to trip out on phase imbalance, going to be like this all bloody weekend) and couldn’t stop myself calling in to it on the way home.

(J) #242

Grilled flank steak with okra, cheddar, & pork-rind stuffed poblano chile, along with a spinach & guac salad.

(Butter Withaspoon) #243

That looks amazing, and such nicely done steak. Okra is fabulous, I never see it around here although I’ve enjoyed it in restaurants.

Ronnie I like that you’re keeping it real :slightly_smiling_face: What I really like is that you bought some takeaway food but still cooked the rest of the meal. Probably you’re going to feel ok after that. Nice! Goujon sounds pretty fancy too.
Takeaway food always gave me a hangover :face_with_head_bandage:

I’ve put on a pot roast. I suppose that’s what I’m doing. I bought a roast on special, got it cut into 3 and have put one in a saucepan with vegetables to slow cook. I don’t have an oven so I never buy roasts. Fingers crossed this works.

In the mean time time I made a salad to keep me going, especially after enjoying a pleasant walk in the bushland with a friend. I’m so grateful to get out because a knee injury has restricted me to home strength training for many weeks and it was sending me crazy

I’ve been drinking tea with jersey milk all morning too.

Avocado, olives, homegrown cucumber and tomato. Will probably make another with the rest of the avocado

(Robin) #244

Man, that’s living!

Yes, I know what you mean- I felt more guilt though…any hangover I felt was from the pint glasses of gin! By way of mitigation though, I have to compliment these goujons. They are freshly made in front of you in an open kitchen with fresh chicken breast, and the beer batter is spiced up to perfection, tasting almost like the spices of a KFC. There are also no breadcrumbs used. The batter is crisp and the chicken is succulent. Still fried in seed oils though no doubt :confused:

Lazy night tonight after many reactive callouts. I had eaten half the food before I remembered to take a snap. Pork ribs accompanied with delicious salted and chilli roasted pork belly:

Beautiful photos, everyone!!!

I only bring some fried eggs now :slight_smile: The fun stuff will come later, I make it for dinner. (It was a bad idea to have lunch when I don’t have meat yet as a few eggs just make me hungry… So I went off carnivore again, it would have been my day 1… Sigh… And made pancakes.)

The wild garlic season has just started! We barely found a few leaves where the other one(s) were present and not even tiny but we don’t need much, just a little taste. We cycled uphill and hiked a bit for it, it’s for the exercise and hiking and fun, mostly, not for the few leaves. I dislike almost all green leaves but they are a bit onion/leek/garlic like (we have one word for these all… easier in Hungarian) and I love onions so it helps. I don’t find it very garlic like myself… It’s softer.
I saw that it looks great with white and yellow so I started it like this, just for the pic:

Then I mixed the egg a tiny bit, it couldn’t be fully mixed but good enough. When we make sunny side ups (or whatever mine are, half-scrambled eggs?), my SO takes great care to keep the fragile yolks whole while I deliberately attack and bust them :smiley:

I made sponge cakes and had some leftover “dough” (egg mix) and I fried it. It looked great first… Then it deflated.

(Robin) #248

@Shinita!!! Wow. Great photos. Now I’m hungry.

Thank you :slight_smile: The first is all my ingredients and their colors, the second was made with my super awesome macro lens I love so much (well my SO’s but I use it nowadays and we don’t split possessions, I kind of consider his t-shirts mine too :D).
But it was a great find when I realized that I can make not horrible photos in my pretty much never sunny kitchen, using the cold filtered natural light and a lamp with warm light. I did that with both.

(Jane) #250

Okra is super easy to grow! Needs hot weather, though.

Once I ate okra in Greece I think… It was fun but easy to be without :wink:

Just a quick shot last evening with only one light… I prefer my daylight ones oh well.
The turkey is very much not ready anyway.
Turkey wing base or whatever it’s called, you understand.
And bacon covered pork roast, I only had shoulders, not really good one for it, a leaner nicer one is better but I had this for now. It still was kind of pretty. Only my second bacon covered food and it’s quite fun :smiley:

Of course I still eat my zillion eggs all the time but they rarely looks interesting and new. (My sponge cakes are fabulous but still nothing new.)
My carby baked things are pretty but not keto and my keto bread was eaten by hungry me before I could even think about making a photo but it looks normal too. Except one was natural colored, one reddish and one green… But it was very little, I only bake it when I bake a proper bread and have a little space for my sticks and tiny buns (I prefer when my bread is all crust).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #252

Closing this thread, since Part VI is now open. :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) closed #253