What did you keto today? Part V (son of the cousin of the sequel)

food

(Robin) #181

Holy moly, that not pizza looks SO good! Love the crispy!

(Butter Withaspoon) #182

Nice work with the delicious meals everyone!
And here are my lamb ribs with salad for dinner

I’d like to know how to know how to do ‘not pizza’.

I’m good at omelets…but this look different and I want to make it!

(Butter Withaspoon) #184

I’ve included my small-text-in-low-light-glasses so that you all can see my brunch. This meal was especially good, I can feel the healing calm of home cooked low insulin food. Also very tasty. I had a second plateful

(Robin) #185

Pretty AND yummy. Perfect combo.

Not great looking, but made a great tasting brunch.
Button mushrooms, smoked pancetta, all scrambled up in a frying pan, avocado oil at 3/4 full heat.
Seasoned at finish with salt, pepper and garlic…my essential seasoning.
I have a full cupboard shelf full of herbs and spices and various sauces, but sometimes less is more!

Near forgot to add pic there.
Scrambled up with 2 eggs by the way, just cracked into the pan.
So easy.

Oh it would be hard to replicate… As it had an odd ingredient, the pretty much inedible, chewy parts of a beef lower leg… I rendered out a lot of tallow of them so got some fried stuff and I managed to grind them somehow (my little grinder complained so it took a lot of time). And I mixed it with some egg. Even I can’t do it again as the beef we buy rarely have more than a tiny bit of chewy parts (the cats eat it).
But… One can use zillion other things. Ground meat, ground soft pork skin (from cooked processed pork with skin. I don’t use hard, raw skin or skin from pork hocks, that goes to the cats. but the soft, boiled skin, that’s nice), sometimes fish and whatever I don’t love to eat as it it may go inside my not-pizza crust :slight_smile:
I am sure all my not-pizzas are different as I use different things with my eggs :slight_smile: And I use boiled eggs to control the wetness, not only raw ones.
And there is the top anyway, the crust is just there and it’s important but it’s fine if it’s different every time… The top is different too though I am quite choosy so it must be some very low-carb thing without any meat preferably. Never liked meaty pizzas (but I am fine with some in my crust). But tuna may work or some other not too strong stuff, I can imagine some ham too (it’s flavorful but somehow more okay…?).
The ratios… I just do whatever feels right but egg is the main ingredient especially when I use skin or this fried thing. With some meat with mild flavor, I can get away with less eggs.

That’s my recipe style, usually, with lots of vagueness and optional things. Though sometimes I am able to write it properly. But not for my not-pizzas.

@Hallie: Yay, nice colors! And those doll/girl coasters (?) again… :smiley:

I may bring a photo later but I must tell you I ate super awesome beef liver from a farm! I dislike some livers (turkey, pork), am okay with some others in moderation (chicken) but beef liver is just perfectness if you ask me. I actually forgot this one doesn’t need much time so I just left it in the pan for long with some water (it had tallow too) while doing something else but it turned out good. I can’t imagine it’s possible for me to mess it up. For myself. Some people has some odd ideas about the right time to fry liver. It’s usually an hour or more for me, depends on the amount but even I use less time for beef liver :wink: Didn’t look at the clock, 30 mins? 25? But less is enough, I just left it there as I said.

(Butter Withaspoon) #190

@Shinita I aim to please :smile:
@robintemplin I don’t wear the glasses for regular things so I’m able to find my plate on the table and aim my fork in the right direction.

I had gifts of chard, zucchini and tomatoes today from gardener friends, lucky me. Went nicely with 3 duck eggs, broth, lamb ribs, onion, garlic and Pond Weed (unknown species). Very filling and I have noticed that the internals are feeling even better with my increase in vegetables of late.
After some hard labour outside- (cut down a couple of trees with a hand saw and loppers, mattocked a 2m by 2m patch of terrible weeds) I had lamb ribs and zucchini stew for dinner then a salad with my own cucumber- so sweet!

(Ashley) #191

Chaffle burgers:

(Robin) #192

Wish this was scratch and sniff. Looks so freaking good! I forget about Chaffles!

(Ashley) #193

Honestly I have too, I just got the urge tonight to make one, it was great.

Do you use colorful bags now as part of your composition? :smiley:
It works if you ask me :smiley: Love the colors, again. Even the plate color works with the other and I never thought blue is good for colorful dishes, too easy to clash it with something… You have skills.

@monsterjuice’s chaffles looks awesome too and the blue in the background offers a complementing color, nice (actual complementer of some yellow there).

I wonder if I should try harder but I mostly just wanna show my dish. I am glad if I have color theory thoughts when I draw or design, I am a lazy one…

I only made this today :slight_smile: But it’s something new! And old, Mom made it for every Easter and Christmas and/or New Year I think… It’s very common traditional holiday dish but it’s pretty simple. I just skipped the carby items, it’s not like they change it much except the garlic. I kinda missed that. The dish works without but Mom always made it with garlic and it was nice. My memories interfere and make me less pleased as I could be. But it was good and my SO had zero problem with it! Success.

I had to use the boiled eggs quickly, it’s visible I had peeling problems. At this point I used ALL tricks and none was a real success. I usually keep my (quite hard, I prefer them softer but peeling is impossible then) eggs in the fridge for a while, it’s okay then (not perfect but most eggs are cooperative enough) but now I had to use them quickly. Just this one time, I hope so I don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

(Jane) #195

Smoked a 5-lb pork loin roast we got on sale for $11. Tender, juicy and delicious!

(Robin) #196

You might win for most tempting photos this week!

(Jane) #197

Broiled tilapia with a mayo/lemon/Parmesan cheese/basil topping. Basil fresh from my hydroponic garden in my utility room.

Broccoli with butter and cheese

(Jane) #198

We used to make this all the time pre-keto and I didn’t have to modify the recipe at all.

I used to worry about all the fat in the mayo and butter :crazy_face:

At least we didn’t use lowfat mayo and used real butter. Although the mayo was made from evil seed oils.

I never worried about my (I guess) super high-fat on high-carb. I do it now, well it’s not worry, I just do my best to minimize it… Oh lucky people who can eat all the fat they want on keto… Not like I can complain, I eat well and I am satiated all day most of the time just like on every woe and diets I ever had but I need to be careful with fat just to avoid overeating. Fat-loss requires a medium sized miracle (that will happen in 2022).

I always found mayo inedible :slight_smile: Too fatty even for me. Or I can say not nearly eggy enough… Almost everything gets better if I just add more eggs. But I am an egg maniac. Just wait until April comes, I will finally make an ice cream cake, carnivore of course. I imagine about 36 eggs will die for it but it’s just a vague guess at this point. If I planned a keto ice cream cake, that would be way more if I chose my eggy ice cream (I mean, almost exclusively yolks, it’s pretty good).

What’s the meat, Shinita?

It reminds me a little of a scotch egg here.