What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(John) #1853

I’ve been very busy the past couple of weeks and haven’t really had time to cook myself a good meal in a while. Tonight I made myself a wonderful dinner.

• 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs sauteed in butter and avocado oil cooked with sliced portabello mushrooms in same pan, with a little rice wine added towards the end for some extra flavor.

• Yellow squash sliced and sauteed in butter and olive oil, seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning. I cook it on med-high so they get browned, and flip once during cooking.

• Steamed broccoli salted with pink salt, with melted butter.

It was a full plate, and more than I usually eat for dinner, but today was kind of OMAD - all I had earlier was a handful of walnuts for breakfast with coffee.

I think it must be from cooking with full fats, which adds lots of flavor, and I think I may surprisingly have a natural ability at cooking. Because the things I cook are really, really good.

(Jane) #1854

Appetizer: Burnt Pork Butt Ends

(Running from stupidity) #1855

Certainly appetising…

(Running from stupidity) #1856

Brunch! Actual Brunch! Thrice-cooked rump steak, local bacon, perfectly-fried spam, and market eggs. If you fear you have a protein deficit - and who doesn’t? - this is the brunch for you. Or breakfast. Or lunch.

Yeah, I see your point, but the Big Salad kicked my [spoiler]ass[/spoiler], so had nothing left for that pretty Steak tonight. :slight_smile: … But we will meet again though. :yum:

(Running from stupidity) #1858

That’s the attitude!

:slight_smile:

Cheeseburger Salad with Lime/Chipotle Slaw. Have decided that as much as I like lamb I don’t much care for it in burger form so back on the beef.

(Running from stupidity) #1860

Ooooh…

Yeah :sunglasses:

Still working through my experiment. Broke my latest fast tonight with a bit of prosciutto wrapped around some double cream brie. My main meal was a deliciously fatty ribeye. I was busy with my daughter and cooking something entirely different for her, so I didn’t want to mess around with grills, sous vide, frying etc. After rubbing some black pepper and pink himalayan salt into the steak, I smothered it in butter and threw it in our air fryer (7 minutes each side). I was impressed with the result given the speed of cooking and hands-off approach.

I also ate a couple of spicy chicken sausages from our local butcher which don’t have the usual carb nonsense stuffed into them that I find in the supermarket. I made up a small bowl of guacamole and helped myself to a small bite more of the brie. This was all washed down with some nice Yorkshire Tea with heavy cream added. Completely full and ready to fast again.

The ribeye (lip on) before all the action

There was so much delicious fat on this piece, it was a genuine pleasure to eat.

Cooked pretty nicely (and fast) in the air fryer

The timing seemed just right, not bad for a really fast and easy approach to cooking them when I’m busy and distracted.

(Running from stupidity) #1863

We gotta get you into sous vide, laddie. WE HAVE TO!

(Allie) #1864

Lamb hearts and homemade turmeric mayo for breakfast.

(Bob M) #1865

Which famous recipe?

Yeah, that looks like it came out nice indeed. … I’m still dropping temps on the Sous Vide to find that temp that will still give me that nice pick inside and then I like to have the outside crisped up, or tortured. :slight_smile:

I’m actually planning on doing some grilling this weekend and Steak is probably on the Menu for Sunday. Similar to your cooking here, but over flame. Love flame kissed Steak. :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #1867

I like 53.5C, mostly.

(Karen) #1868

Skipping breakfast… deja vu

Yeah, looking at what they suggest in the paperwork that came with it, they mostly say for Medium Rare, 140, which seems to cook it through leaving no pinkness at all. Was thinking of trying something like 60 to 75 or so, but I also like mine Flame Kissed when I can. … Planning on grilling this weekend, so will try it. Thanks

Dave, I’ve been pretty pleased with mine in the 137-138 range.

(Jocelyne Slattery) #1871

I am making short ribs! Local highland beef! I have beef listening to the podcasts and my mouth is watering every time you mention short ribs! They will be ready at 6pm.

Trust me, I love sous vide as much as everyone. I’ve never had better results cooking a steak via sous vide. Even when it’s off in some way (had to rush, or imperfect temperature) it’s still better then than most other ways I could have cooked it.

I’d never cooked a ribeye this way however (air fryer) and expected poor results (and had a backup steak, haha) but was impressed with quality against the short cooking time. Our family is very unorganized and this was a last minute grab-and-run of a steak while my wife was working and I was taking care of my energetic daughter. It works well when I don’t have much of a window to work with.

I will definitely get something going on the sous vide to eat in a few days. If you had say, 2 or 3 days to play with, what would you prioritize sous videing? (I.e. only good if you can cook it for a few days to get best results)