What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(Sophie) #1507

#2 Use the 3 whole eggs. I haven’t noticed any difference in the outcome, only that the dough is stickier to handle, and the appearance is lighter.
#3 I think this is simply preference. How did you store them? And how long did you leave them out? I always slather mine with a lot of fat (mayo, butter, bearnaise, etc.) so it’s hard for me to tell. YMMV
#4 Never! Coconut is vastly different to almond and you can’t substitute 1:1
#5 Baking Yeast will only add a yeast flavor but none of the yeast qualities that we expect like rise. If you want the flavor then by all means add it!

(Carl Keller) #1508

One day I will try sous vide. It just seems like such a very time involved process. But the concept and the result sounds amazing. Personally, if I want to spend that much time on food, I think I would prefer to spend it on smoking meats… turkey, pork, beef or mullet. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.

Sous vide pork:

Voila.

(Carl Keller) #1509

It’s a gorgeous crepe for sure! I just love the thought of you eating that with chopsticks. I’m half asian and it reminds me of my mother eating pancakes with chopsticks. :sunglasses:

(Running from stupidity) #1510

It really is the answer to basically everything.

I’m really hanging out to try my new one that arrived last week, but I’ve either been OMAD/busy or fasting since it arrived. It’s just sitting there, taunting me.

Thursday. I’m definitely trying it Thursday.

I’ve been back & forth on them for a while (tiny house) but I know I’ll eventually end up with one - assuming of course I survive the parasites :grimacing:

(Mike W.) #1512

That’s the beauty of it. It works while you work/sleep I do full packer briskets and pork butts sous vide for for up to 36 hours and then only have to smoke for 4 hours. I’m not devoting a whole day to babysitting a smoker. Just curious, why do you feel it’s time consuming?

(Running from stupidity) #1513

Oh no, it’s incredibly simple and fast.

My wife flew out yesterday to run some training, and I carried her gear downstairs for her. She just posted this to IG.

And they apparently talked about sous vide/keto for the next hour until they arrived at the airport :slight_smile:

(Carl Keller) #1514

Paranoia, maybe unwarranted, about leaving things cooking in the house while I am away for extended parts of the day. So I feel like I should be in the house during the process.

Something tells me I will have one before xmas… if I can get over my answer to Miketo.

(Running from stupidity) #1515

Looking at it as “cooking” is part of the issue here, I think. It’s more like a small, lower-temperature water heater in your kitchen (usually). It’s not like a skillet on the gas.

(Heather Meyer) #1516

What is the purpose of Sous Vide? Ive seen these chefs use them on cooking shows but what os the benefit of them?

(Running from stupidity) #1517

You can cook the food to the perfect doneness that you choose, no chance of overdoing it by leaving it on the heat for too long, and it’s not as time-constrained as initial direct cooking.

So I want my rump steak cooked to medium rare. I put it in the sous vide, set to 53.5C (my fav temp, I tried a few in that region) and then a day later, I pull it out once the rest of dinner is ready, pat it dry, give it a minute or so on each side in a HOT skillet, and then you have perfect steak. If you want it more done, up the temp. Less, turn it down.

When we used hanger steak that was 72 hours. The pork belly I did the other day was four hours.

Once this fast is finished I’m going to try the new one for poaching eggs - set it to the temp you want (about 63C), throw the egg in as is, cook for an hour (or more or less, I need to experiment), shell, put hollandaise on it, eat.

(Mike W.) #1518

Precise temperature control down to half of a degree. It’s impossible to overcook something sous vide. Also you can easily pasteurize things by lengthening the time you cook something. With sous vide you can safely eat 140 degree chicken. I don’t recommend it from a texture standpoint, but you could.

(Mike W.) #1519

Why should you get a sous vide? I’ll just leave this here…

And this…

And this…

Sous vide is SO simply, even I can do it!

Remember, I’m the “laziest of lazy keto”. :grinning:

(Carl Keller) #1521

Fair point Darren. :smiley:

Ive made these and we left them at room temp in a sealed bag and ate them over 4 days time. Also reheated in the microwave for like 10 seconds to make it warm. It was good both ways, warm and room temp.

(Running from stupidity) #1523

You need a t-shirt for that :slight_smile:

(Melis Jansen ) #1524

2 eggs, cream, salsa, and cheese cooked in a generous amount of high fat butter. Topped with a lovely avocado.

(Alex ) #1525

High meat turkey sausages (high meat content) , 5g carbs each… (Won’t be eating all 4)

(Running from stupidity) #1526

I’m really looking forward to lunch tomorrow after this fast. I’ve been mixing a jar of peanut butter on the bench today, and that may not have been a wise decision :slight_smile: