What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #7994

Xanthan gum behaves very differently than cornstarch, slurry works for starch for example, while you’ll definitely not want to try that with the gum.

Taking the amount necessary between your finger and sprinkling on top while whisking also works, it just needs a lot of surface area to hit and a lot of mixing…

Good to know. :+1: I think I read another post that said to pinch small amount with fingers and sprinkle, and that it doesn’t take much. That last time was I think the first time using it, so first attempt.

Today, I Keto’d pancakes using a modified version of Fathead dough. Defintiely not my usual breakfast fare, but I just got a hankering while watching Chopped- brunch baskets.

The thing that has deterred me from embracing many of these Keto-friendly dough and batter based foods, is the off- putting metallic taste, most likely coming from the baking powder, that is present during and after a bite of the finished product. I set about finding a way to neutralize that taste. There are certain flavor combinations that can negate aftertastes, - like almond and coconut - which, when used in minute amounts- will erase the odd aftertaste from powdered sugar in buttercream icing. So, with the fathead dough, I mixed almond flour (KA super finely ground), with coconut flour; added in the baking powder, salt, a teensy bit of granulated sweetner (the pink one), half a pinch of baking soda, and sifted into the cheese-egg base. Kneaded it for a bit, and added a drop of almond extract, and a drop of banana bakery emulsion. (The emulsions are more potent, and the flavor isn’t as easily diminished by exposure to high or prolonged heat. )
Shaped the dough into four small disks, and laid them over an ample amount of browned butter that was prepped on the Presto “griddle”. They cooked a good 4-5 min on each side, and had a beautiful crispy outer layer.
Using more butter melted with a bit of Walden Farm pankcake syrup as a dip, the essence of the pancake flavor was nailed. The texture still needs some work as it is a bit heavy, but the flavor was there.
There was an ever-so- slight hint of banana, but none of that metallic weird taste/ aftertaste.

Not a huge fan of the SF syrup replacements, but they serve their purpose. Having said that, I’ll be sticking to my egg based dishes 99.5% of the time - when I cook breakfasts. Smoked fish- like salmon, cod or lake trout buried under a couple of poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce shall be the next breakfast thing I cook on my day off.

(Diane) #7997

Although I still recommend glucomannan powder for thickening hot liquids, I have seen several YouTubers recommend making a slurry of xantham gum and an oil (such as avocado or olive oil) before adding it to your cooking. This apparently ensures that the xantham gum disperses more evenly into your food.

(Ashley) #7998

I normally don’t like pork rinds! But these are amazing. The garlic and thyme really make it taste so good! Just found them at a world market!

Infact I’m editing this cause I just went in and bought 4 more! Yum!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #7999

It’s Keto Cheesy Bread crust! Even better lol. The stuff is perfect for pizza, and easy to make for the Lazies out there. <3

(traci simpson) #8000

YUM! I only see plain and bbq.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8001

I think you know what we want here…:slightly_smiling_face:
Got a link? That looks yummy Dena. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8002

You guys already know it! The mozz cheese and an egg mixture spread out on parchment and baked at 400F for 15min.

1.5 cups shredded mozz
1 xlarge egg

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8003

Bacon Blue Cheese Scramble

Slab Bacon Cubes, Kumatoes, Cream and Blue Cheeses, Dill Weed.

@x-Dena-x Sometimes my eggs are ugly too but they still taste yummy, right?

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8004

Heck yeah! And even on an ugly egg day, yours are better than mine. :rofl::rofl:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8005

So fathead without the nut flour? This is actually the first I’m hearing of it… But seems like it would work and be fewer carbs.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8006

Ya know, I’ve never made fathead. It’s a recipe I found on Pinterest. It’s fewer carbs because there’s no flour, but I will say, if you don’t cook the heck out of it, it can sometimes be a bit…omlettey?

But how I make it is:

1.5 cups shredded mozzarella, low moisture if possible.
1/4 cup Parm Reggiano cheese, shredded, grated, doesn’t matter
1 Maud-sized egg (@Shortstuff)
Optional: Italian Seasoning mix - I leave it out, just because.

Mix all of the above. Plop mixture on a sheet pan that’s already lined with parchment (not wax) paper. Form into any shape you want–get creative, or just make a circle-ish.

Bake by itself @ 400F for 15 min.

Take it out of the oven, and put your pizza toppings on, whatever you choose. Put back in the oven until the cheese is melty and colored however you prefer.

(Allie) #8007

84g today (with the shell) :open_mouth:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8008

w0wz3rz!!! Can I see the girls over in What did you take a pic of on your walk Ft CHUNK ???

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8009

thanks! I’ll have to try this.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8010

Yowza!

(Allie) #8011

There are some pics I’m sure, but nothing recent so I will make sure to add some for you :heart:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8012

This hen never lived near a nuclear power plant did it? :radioactive: XXXL :egg::laughing:

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #8013

Two eggs baked in lamb mince and crispy kale!! So yummy!