What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7713

What I do with stir fry is when the food is cooked, all the seasoning are in, I grab pinches with my finger and thumb and dust as little into the boiling liquid at a time as I can stirring vigorously. Thickening happens a little slower with no clumping. The other way is to use the same technique but into a little bowl as you mentioned. But sprinkle with pinched fingers whisking vigorously at the same time. It takes about 10 minutes to fully thicken and will thicken more when it gets heated. Tricky for sure but not bad if you get the hang of it and not a yuck mouth feel if you don’t over add it. Easy to put too much and end up with a clumpy mess and this works best for me. I use about 1/8 teaspoon for a stir fry, usually I don’t need more. You can also make roux with it, doesn’t take much and it will brown much faster than flour so you have to be watchful.

1 1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum

1 stick of butter or half cup of fat

:man_cook:t3:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7714

I agree with @David_Stilley, they aren’t disgusting. But I also think they aren’t worth the trouble. I think they demonstrate that entertainment has always been an aspect of cuisine.

I do quite like tea eggs though.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7715

@Ruina I’m planning to do keto Red Cooked Chicken and Eggs soon. Tea eggs reminded me of it. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Karen) #7716

To start with a used very little and I sprinkled it over the entire pan, but still it just has a Gelatinous mouth feel

('Jackie P') #7717

Omg I love your little dog in the background!:heart_eyes:

(Allie) #7718

Avocado, eggs and sour cream. With the size of the eggs my clever girls are producing, I may have to reduce from four to three eggs each time :joy:

@x-Dena-x Maud’s egg isn’t so distinctive today, it’s the best she’s made yet as she’s feeling proud :grinning:

(Diane) #7719

I like glucomannan powder (AKA konjac flour or powder) for thickening hot liquids. It’s a much better low carb replacement for cornstarch. I’m attaching the notes I made for myself regarding low carb thickeners after listening to a podcast with Carrie Brown (back in September 2018).

(Allie) #7720

I made celeriac fries.

https://perfectketo.com/celeriac-everything-oven-fries/

I’ve heard her talk about konjac flour before and I meant to add it to my next foodstuffs order from vitacost it amazon but completely forgot. I like a good gravy so I really need to try it. The xantham gum does work well in baked goods, especially cookies.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7722

Okay @Shortstuff, I gotta ask about the celeriac fries (surprised you didn’t refer to them as chips), how are they? I always thought celeriac was too high carb to mess with, I have been thinking about trying Jicama fries as jicama is quite inexpensive here compared with celeriac. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Allie) #7723

I don’t refer to them as chips on here because that tends to confuse Americans who know them as fries :grinning:

They were actually quite nice. If I do them again, which is quite possible, I will cook them for longer to try and make them more crispy as they were still rather soft. It was this recipe I used -

(Ashley) #7724

Omg looks amazing I am going to have to try these! Bookmarking them!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #7725

@Shortstuff they all look big and uniform! I’m gonna take a guess anyway and sayyyy…maybe… the one on the bottom??

They’re getting healthier everyday! :heart: :rooster::rooster::rooster::rooster::heart:

(Ashley) #7726

I also say bottom one! Looks a lot better!!!

(Jane) #7727

A rare breakfast for me. Spinach and cheese omelette topped with herb butter

Hubby’s plate

(Karen) #7728

Hot dog breakfast

Bacon and eggs on keto bread, with green pork chili

Guessing the sweater isn’t helping then. :wink:

(Allie) #7730

And you’d be right :grinning:

(Karen) #7731

We got about 3 inches of snow here yesterday. So the sweater. But she’s been sleeping in that patch of sunshine, very toasty! She’s a 15-year-old , arthritic, partially blind, partially deaf, epileptic pup with cardiac issues. But quite a dear and loves a bit of warmth.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #7732

Yesssss! Add this to my collection of uniquely useless skills! :metal: