What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(Steaks b4 cakes! šŸ„©šŸ„‚) #5725

Keto chilli and avocado, with a keto bun smothered with butter on the side.

(bulkbiker) #5726

woo Finex panā€¦ do they work as well as is claimedā€¦ trying to justify the cost!

Been working crazy hours at work for a couple weeks now, making intermittent fasting hard for me due to the weird times Iā€™m actually home, awake, and able to cook. So Iā€™ve decided during this time to eat whatever time of day Iā€™m hungry, and not stress about having 16-24 hours of insulin droppage. So hereā€™s my 9am meal lol. Probably will eat again at 8 or 9 pm. Tuna melt patties with avocado, probably my favorite food right now. So filling. I love how now when Iā€™m done with a meal I canā€™t even fathom eating another bite whereas before Iā€™d eat a meal and keep snacking on bits of leftovers or eat lots of crackers and the like between meals.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #5728

Are the tuna patties pure tuna, of did you mix something in them?

I make them with one can of drained tuna, about a 1/4 cup or more of finely shredded sharp cheddar (I feel like any cheese would work, helps bind them together while they cook) and and one egg. You donā€™t have to top them with cheese tooā€¦ but I love cheese. I use whatever seasonings I feel like, today was just salt, pepper, and old bay seasoning. Then you just fry them in a little butter over medium heat for a few minutes on each side. They are sooooo easy. At first I made them with a little almond flour to help bind them but found later that if I donā€™t make them too flat at first, cook then a minute or so then smoosh them flat with the spatula they hold together just fine.

(Ernest) #5730

Oh thereā€™s nothing like it. But you have to be a cast iron junkie to understand and justify the cost.
I have 4 pans of Finex. Over 30 cast iron pieces of cast iron cookware.

Lol before going Keto I tried Chic Fil Aā€™s gluten free bun on their chicken sandwichā€¦had to send out a warning to family and friends to make sure they order an XL drink if they ever tried it - SO DRY :cactus:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5732

What? No Bacon?

My boy is here for a couple of days, doing well on the Keto WOE. I love these spicy Louisiana Hot Links, 0 carb. Scramble with Pepper Jack and Avocado. :yum::egg::avocado::cheese::hot_pepper:

Have a great day! :cowboy_hat_face:

Yes. Although both the SmartBuns and SmartCakes are expensive, Iā€™m sometimes willing to pay the cost for the SmartCakes. Both low in carbs and calories.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5734

@MarkGossage Iā€™m kind of a cast iron junky but I donā€™t get this. I think Iā€™d buy a Lodge skillet and 30 lbs. of quality rib eyes instead! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Khara) #5735

I decided a while back that as our non-stick skillets age and turn into stick skillets Iā€™m replacing them with cast iron which actually improves with age. My only reservation are eggs and we also like to do a lot of tossing as a means to ā€œstirā€ veggies or whatever. Eggs stick even though we have a pretty well seasoned Lodge and tossing a cast iron pan is pretty much out, so I guess our habits will have to change. The Finex site says they work great for eggs, so Iā€™m curious. I may have just found my S.O.ā€™s b-day gift (and I get to play with it too :wink:).

(Ernest) #5736

LOL!! Cast iron pretty much outlives everyone. So cost only hurts right now, Iā€™m sure my kids will use them and hand them over to someone who in turn will hand them over toā€¦you get the idea.
Look at it this way, do you get why people buy Mercedes instead of just sticking with a Toyota?

(Ashley) #5737

I need to find a store that sells these! Itā€™s hard to find 0 carb sausages!

(Ernest) #5738

I cook all my eggs in Finex. I actually bought the small Finex specifically for eggs.
I had to sand down my lodge skillets to get them to cooperate with eggs.

(Diane) #5739

You are definitely hard core!

(Khara) #5740

Ah, interesting. Never thought to sand it down, weā€™ve worked so long on that season. Makes sense though. I saw on the Finex site that theirs are CNC machined. Yes! The 8ā€ is the one Iā€™m eyeballing. Iā€™ve wanted to replace our egg pan for a while. Iā€™m glad I ran across this convo. Breakfast will be so happyā€¦ bacon frying in the 12ā€ and eggs frying in the little 8ā€. :grin::nerd_face:

And youā€™re right about cost. A good non-stick skillet costs at least 75% of the cost of good cast iron, but in my experience that skillet only lasts a few years (granted, I have not tried stainless steel). Also, who knows what that coating is doing to us as it wears off into our food. I actually dug the cast iron out of the camping gear a few years back because I wanted the added iron in my food. With some things I think, Ma and Pa Ingalls had it right.

(Ernest) #5741

You will buy 20 replacement non stick skillets vs one Finex. Do the math

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #5742

Thank you!!! Iā€™ll post when I get around to making this. It will happen, probably next week.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5743

My cast iron collection is a dozen or more. I have a treasured one, my first. It was handed down from my grandma to my mom and she was young it the age of ā€œmodern cookwareā€ so I ended up with it when I moved out. I donā€™t know if my grandma bought it or inherited it.

I have a Lodge that a neighbor sat on top of the recycling bin never used, probably an unwanted gift. Great skillet, Iā€™ve cooked tons of eggs in it. I find the textured surface holds oil underneath whatever youā€™re cooking and is less sticky. And it gives the seasoning area more surface and the grooves build up giving it a really solid seasoned surface.

Key is preheating for any cast iron. I bought a $13 laser thermometer from Amazon and itā€™s really great for cast iron, a game changer.

Those are beautiful heirlooms @Ernest :cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #5744

#lazyketo

Left the hospital to go back to work after no sleep at all. Sometimes ya just gotta eat some nasty old Dunkin Donuts sausage and egg patty.