What did I just get myself into?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

My sister just talked me into taking a bib from a friend for a half marathon in August.

Oh Keto energy gods, I’m going to need you to kick in overtime here to get me ready.

(icky) #2

:running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3::running_woman:t3:

You can do it!

(GINA ) #3

You can do it!

(Pete A) #4

I’ve been meaning to tell you, you’re one of my keto-fitness-idols!

Looking forward to the run up and race.

Good luck.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I’m going to sign up for a RunBet. For some reason when there’s $ on the line, I’m more apt to keep up my training.

Must be the cheap skate in me. It’s a recessive gene from my father’s side.

(karen) #7

Oh, this could be awesome motivation for my runner hubby! How does it work?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

The RunBet? You have to download the app (free) and you have to have either Stravia or RunKeeper to track outdoor runs. Or have a Garmin tracker.
You can also do indoor runs on treadmills, but you have to submit a photo of the console that shows time and distance in it and a sweaty selfy and submit it to count.

You pay $40 up front. As long as you complete all the runs, you get your money back. If not, you forfeit the money. After RunBet takes their cut, all money forfeited gets split between those that complete the challenges. It’s hardly anything though. The real motivator is not losing your $40.

The one I just signed up for starts the 11th and goes 6 weeks. You have to progressively run longer times and it goes from 3 to 4 times a week, but it’s a really easy pace and it only gets up to 30 minutes. I know I’ll go more than that once I get out running, but this will force me to get out and do it. No more making excuses of needing to do yard work and such.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

But they have lots of competitions to choose from and there’s always new ones starting.

If it’s anything like StepBet, you can even make your own competition with friends.

(karen) #10

Thanks! He’s got a garmin and he loves all this gadgety stuff, this might be totally fun for him.

(Alec) #11

LeeAnn
Keep calm, you can do this. But you need to train well between now and then. When in August? You need to develop your long run to a min of 11 miles. Nice and slow. Do that and I guarantee you can finish.

And make sure you do it keto, you will be so proud.
Cheers
A

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

August 25th, so at least it’s at the end of August.

I also signed up for a RunBet, so I know I’ll be getting at least 3-4 practice runs a week. No excuses.

I’m just walking now, using Apple Watch and a Polar chest strap - amazing how much data is available. Good luck with the run!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

Wednesday’s are my long run days and I just got in a 7 mile run.

If increase by .5 to 1 mile each week, I should have no problem getting to 11 or 12 miles before the half marathon with just a little time to taper down.

Though last time I ran a half I never tapered and I ran it really well, so we will see.

(Elijah Barrett) #15

I just signed up for my first ever half in October. I’m new to keto and havent ran in a long time, so I really just want to attempt a finish! Good luck :slight_smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #16

How new are you to keto?

(Alec) #17

LeeAnn
How’s the training going? I did a 13k long run yesterday, and could have done another 4k if I hadn’t forgotten I was supposed to be at my son’s soccer match! :scream:
Cheers
A

(Elijah Barrett) #18

I just started full out keto last week. I did ZeroCarb for about 4 months during the spring but stopped for a month or two and decided to do keto as a lifestyle choice. I also do OMAD (one meal a day).

(LeeAnn Brooks) #19

7 miles for my long run last Wednesday.

I plan to add at least a half mile to a mile each Wednesday. That should get me there in plenty of time.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #20

So it’s not such a radical change for you.

I was hoping you weren’t brand new to it as I was going to warn you that your performance may take a hit while you adapt.

Took me 4 weeks to be able to run again after starting Keto. But I’m adding miles each week now.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #21

I hit 8 miles today.

Not going to lie, it was rough.
For one, I had some digestive stuff going on. Normally I run after being fasted at least 10 hours. Today I only had 3. Thought that would be just enough, but clearly it wasn’t.
For two, I’m having some residual, low grade pain still from my last GERD/Gullbladder (not sure which) flair up. It makes breathing hard because taking full breaths is uncomfortable.
Three, my heart rate was higher than normal. Not sure but I’m guessing 1 & 2 had some effect on that.
And finally my legs were really heavy. I think it was just an overall combination of all my other issues today, but I was NOT enjoying today’s run.
But Wednesday’s are my only days I can get in a long run, so I powered through. :running_woman:t3::grimacing: