Weight Maintenance- Introduce yourself!

weightmaintenance

(Nancie Brown) #61

I’m new. Thanks for your knowledge!! N

(Tom Seest) #62

Welcome to the dance Nancy

(charlie3) #63

I’m a maintainer now but actually I’m determined to add back some weight in the form of muscle. A year ago I weighed 170 (male 5’9"). Back then I was successful eliminating 99% of all sweets and junk. Over the next 9 months that got rid of 10 pounds even though I still ate the same food at meals. Then in January I decided to go back to exercising after decades and stumbled into Dr. Fung talking about insulin resistance and what to do about it. That pointed me to keto. I was hooked and didn’t look back. Since then about 10 more pounds of fat are gone. This morning my beam scale says I’m 147 pounds, supposedly in my “ideal” weight range. I have the same waist and weight as highschool days (class of '67). But I’m not resting on that. I’m back into strength training, cardio, and walking.

I’m learning time restricted eating 5 days a week and fasting 36 hours one day a week. I track with Cronometer and that lets me fine tune energy intake in an interesting way. If I’m trying to grow some muscle I eat 300 extra calories a day for 6 days then fast on the 7th day which consumes about the same 1800 calories. If I want to reduce body fat I eat maintenance calories for 6 days then fast for 36 hours and the fat loss is what ever was energy was consumed on that day and not replaced. I plan to make the time restricted eating and fast day a permanet habit. I’m hoping this will be a low stress way to keep body fat in a narrow range and keep some muscle on my body.

(Steven & Kellie) #64

I didn’t think this day would come when people (G/friend) asks me to stop losing weight ! dropped for 17st to 13st 4lbs. I’m happy with where I am and at risk of going too skinny for my frame ! (5ft 10in and 48yrs old)

I’ve just used the Macro calc from as recommended by the dudes ( love the pod!) and it recommends -
20g carb ( I know i can fluctuate this a bit)
123g protein (started running and some light weight training)
201g Fat ( here lies my dilemma)

How the heck do i efficiently get that amount of fat in in a day ?

Great place to be !

Views appreciated

(Karen Parrott) #65

I would regain most of my weight if I did that plan but it may work for you. I have a lot better result by increasing total food take in and balancing my protein around with my fat for long-term maintenance. My loss carbs are about equal to my maintenance carbs. Then I switch a protein and fat. I also move around fasting time windows

I was obese since I was 6 so this might be very individual for me. Also the first year of maintenance I started into menopause that’s a whole different ballgame and may not apply to you

Six years in in three months and my weight still want to come back.

(Steven & Kellie) #66

Thanks for replying, throughout this journey which is only 5 months I haven’t tracked macros, other than keeping carbs below the 20g, ( give or take). I thought i would investigate what the calculator says i “should” do, before i consider how to tackle it. I had hoped it would settle out, if anything my weight loss is accelerating ! ( lucky i know), my exercise has increased with my new found “lightness”

Will go wild with butter,bacon and cheese and see how that affects me next week…( what a hardship)

(KCKO, KCFO) #67

Fat to satiety, should do it. Don’t feel like you have to pack in the fats. Some of your protein sources will carry fat as well.

That is a huge fat number. I think Karen’s advice is good.

KCKO

(David) #68

What a great idea for a thread. I hope to have a story to tell some day soon. How can this thread be kept visible? It feels almost as important as the newbie section.

(KCKO, KCFO) #69

You can bookmark threads you want to return to, the … to the left of the Reply has other options, bookmark is one of them.

You can also go to the end of a thread and mark it for Watching. Here is a link to the How To on muting topics (ones you don’t want to see again), Watching and Muting are only a couple of your options, the screenshot in there shows you how to select the options.

(David) #70

Thanks. That’s my new thing learned for the day. :smile:

(Gill Martin) #71

Hi, I’m Gillian, I’ve been on maintenance since about November 2017. I started LCHF at the beginning of June last year but went Keto & 18/6 fasting in August. My weight dropped from 12st 6lbs to 9st 7lbs fairly easily. It’s probably the lowest i’ve weighed since i was 15! I’m 67, 5ft 7ins tall. I’m finding maintenance really hard though, I have a nagging feeling that i’m probably slightly underweight for my frame (i have wrist measurement of 6 3/4 inches). I can put on a couple of pounds very easily even though I rarely go above 25g of carbs sounds silly but it’s as if my body has a mind of it’s own. I shall keep at it though, i’ve thrown out all my larger clothes.:roll_eyes:

(Karen Parrott) #72

Hi Gill! Welcome. Yes, I find it easy to regain. I found it’s less the carbs for me and more total calorie intake AND moving my protein and fat macros around. Too much dietary fat and I’ll start to regain. I keep my carbs in a certain range.

Welcome to weight maintenance, and congrats on your loss. I’m also weighing less than I did in high school. So fun.

(Debra Aring) #73

Hi! My name is Debra, I’m 52, have a hypothyroid, and I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I had a significant weight loss about 20 years ago, but the weight started creeping back on and my go-to method of getting the weight off (Weight Watchers) was no longer working for me. A co-worker mentioned this WOE to me and I have been eating a Ketogenic diet since 5 February. I’ve lost 16 pounds and 2 inches off my waist. I’m now below goal (130) at 127.

My challenge is figuring out what to do from here. I am happy with my current fat percentage and would love to just settle into a Keto way of eating for the rest of my life. I don’t exercise at the moment and am looking for tips, tricks, suggestions about how to find that happy place where I can eat without continuing to loose (like I ever thought that would come out of my mouth!).

Thanks for this forum. Love the podcast!

(Karen) #74

Good advice

K

(Karen Parrott) #75

Welcome! I’m a WW alumni. I do find that I have to track (I track total intake and macros) in long term weight maintenance. I often don’t get norma hungry fulll signals, so MFP is one of my top tools in maintenance.

I find by adding my non binge foods like avocado, pumpkin seeds, 85% chocolate, and protein that helps me to stop losing weight and maintain. If I start to gain, I’ll dial back on anyone of those with good results in total intake.

Pop in here and ask questions as you do. Welcome and glad you are here. You’ll find many different strategies in maintenance. I find 2-3 work well at any one time. Those might be different from others posting, with good reason. So hunt and gather what works, leave what doesn’t behind.

So nice to see more people on this forum. This is my future fantasy forum (still have some weight to lose) but like many people, I know how to lose - but not so good on the maintaining. But really would like see how its done and appreciate any ongoing comments on how maintenance works for each person. thanks for chiming in!

(Lauren Romeo) #77

Hi, I’m Lauren,
I have been maintaining 10 years, been eating this way 11 years.
I used to use MFP but now I use cronometer .
I walk for exercise and weight lift for strength as I am 58 years young and don’t want to lose muscle mass as I get past 60!
I started with Atkins and then went zero carb for a few years. I don’t crave anything but it took me about three years in the beginning to get past some cravings.
I have an advantage in that I have Celiac Disease and have been GF for 38 years so quitting carbs was just another diet adjustment for me.
I am a physician and speak about this WOE frequently at local support groups and lectures.
More and more folks are coming around to quitting highly processed food and just eating real food. After that they will try low carb. It’s a long process.
I recently got my husband eating this way, too. He doesn’t have any food intolerances but had plantar fasciitis and wanted to get rid of the pain. Now he’s a believer!

(KCKO, KCFO) #78

Welcome Lauren, always exciting to see a physician who understands this WOE. 11 yrs is wonderful commitment.

Glad your hubby joined you, so much easier to meal prep when both are on the same page.

I still use MFP for daily logging in, I stopped tracking a while back. I keep looking at Cronometer, but I have so much data over on MFP, I just can’t seem to bring myself to switch over. MFP has some bad data for sure, but there are ways to get the right info. to come up. I have created recipes and my meals over there, so when I do track. I do it for a couple of weeks here and there, it is easy and I can trust what it tells me.

Looking forward to seeing posts from you.

(Wendy) #79

I thought this would be a good place to hang as I’m at a good weight and don’t want to lose too much more (especially as it seems to be coming mostly from my top half of my body).:slightly_smiling_face:
So my weight loss has slowed down. Do I just continue to eat the same or do I add more fat? I’ve not been tracking and just have been eating low carb, keeping to foods that are as real as I can. I rarely eat artificial sweeteners. I do eat nuts and dairy and don’t have issues with either at this point. I IF 15/18 hours most every day. Have done a few 24/32 hour fasts. I started keto in Jan 2018 and lost about 65 pounds.
I do wish to gain more muscle and toning. I’ve not been working out, though I walk a lot and do some lifting at work.
So what do I do now?

(KCKO, KCFO) #80

Here is my take on what to do next:
Read Refuse to Regain, it is one of the few books that focus on maintaining your weight loss.
Read all the threads under Maintenance, lots of little tips here and there.

I really feel that resistance training is beneficial. Also some strength training, nothing over the top. It sounds like you have to do some lifting at work, it all works. Walking and yoga are the two things that keep me going. I do lots of shorter not so aerobic, but in the fat burning zone, walks on a daily basis but try to get in a more challenging walk or a hike to get my heart rate up higher 3x a week. (I live in a hilly area, at the foot of the Rockies, so locally I walk the hills and do get into the mountains for serious hiking).

I like to stay 3 lbs. or more under my original goal weight. If I bounce up, which will occur from time to time) and hit my goal weight, I do an extended fast. Normally I do mostly IFing 4-5 days a week, but with the bounce ups, I will do 48+ hr. fasting. I also join in the Zornfast, the monthly group EX fast here because I like the tribal feel of it. It is so nice to do fasting with like minded people. So many people just zone out on you when you mention you fast or eat lots of fats.

You have done very well, nice loss in a short time frame, congrats on your commitment to your health.