Weight Maintenance- Introduce yourself!

weightmaintenance

Thanks for asking, Karen. I am scared to step on the scale. Every time I do, I get depressed, so I have no idea where I am at. I look like I have gained muscle, but I am sure I did not lose any fat, and may have gained some. I have more definition in my arms, but the belly and thigh fat is still there.

I had a day of overeating (keto only but waaaaay too many nuts), and now am about to break a 48 hour fast. I feel a bit skinnier now, more deflated, lol

(Karen Parrott) #42

Glad you checked in here. I gave up nuts because I couldnā€™t stop eating them AND I had to fund my daughterā€™s college fund or buy new pantsā€¦ sighā€¦ Life is easier without the nuts, even a teeny portion puts me into high binge eating.

Iā€™ll get my first dexa scan near the end of the month. I could stand to lose a little body fat. Probably by lifting.

I hear you on the nuts, and I am pretty certain they have to go out of my life as well. Another vice I have is wine. I can easily down 3-4 glasses per night. I order from dryfarmwines, so they are sugar-free, but I am sure all the alcohol stalls the fat burn. I have a hard time having just one glass. Maybe I need to just limit it to weekends or somethingā€¦

(Karen Parrott) #44

Yeah!!! Iā€™ve been alcohol free 17 years now. The dry wines vendor was swamped during Low Carb USA 2017.

Iā€™ve met more women middle age and older- especially in the MD or professional category who monitor glucose and how they feel on wine and they at some point have to pick between that and feeling awesome. (most noticed too high of liver enzymes and feeling yuck and higher weight) Sigh!!

I can still eat 85% chocolate, so I enjoy the heck out of it in maintenance. Take care and you are not alone.

(Bryce G Stuart) #45

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your message and insight, itā€™s great to get some detail on whatā€™s worked for others.
My biggest concern atm is getting my macros right from a protein perspective. Ive read so much conflicting info on how much protein I should be having and itā€™s doing my head in tbh lol.

Iā€™m currently at 108, 148, 15 P/F/C (nett carbs) but find my readings jump around a lot, particularly on weekends but I get that as I donā€™t IF Sat and Sun and allow myself a glass of wine or 2 each day then. No alcohol during the week and Iā€™m pretty strict Monday to Fri.

Iā€™m trying to put on some lean muscle as well but am prepared to wait to do that in order to lose this last bit of B.F.

Iā€™m currently using the ketogains numbers although my calories are set at 1800 a day rather than the 2400 they recommend as Iā€™m trying to run a deficit.

Iā€™m really enjoying the journey though and love this WOE. I just wish I could get my wife fully on board with it.

Look forward to chatting with you some more as itā€™s great to share the journey.

Thanks again

So I guess Iā€™m in maintainishā€¦ Febā€™17 I started keto in earnest, at 35.6 BMI, 5ā€™9", male 109Kg, stretching my 42" pants, which 6 yearish before had been 32, 7 mnths later, I was 79Kg, 25.1BMI and bobbing up and down a kilo of water weight. During the loss period I ripped the motor off my ebike and just rode it for 4000+ km, mostly because it felt good (I rode 65K to fish last week and am happy, fishless, 'twas good), and then the weight loss stopped. Some might call it my Phinney weight, but I hope for a set point Iā€™m happier with. So, instead I pivoted to strength as a goal, seeing as my weight refused to move, and set up my home gym, just iron and a chin up bar. Starting Strength (Rippetoe) as my guide and at 48, (yes ppl half my age would do it twice as fast, but wow) in 4 months Iā€™ve gone from benching 1/4 my weight to 3/4, and deadlift 1.2 BW+
Seriously, strength is a virtue in daily life, it was my 20s normal, now Iā€™m better.
And as far as weight maintenance is concerned, Iā€™m sure Iā€™m stronger, I weigh the same. I might be a 31ā€¦

Greetings! My name is Katy and, okay, I am going to claim it: Although I am about 11 pounds from where I think I should be, I am in Maintenance Mode! It has been 10 months since I started Keto and have lost 66 pounds thus far. I am still losing, but very slowly, which is fine.

What is working for me in this mode and what I feel like I can (easily, joyfully) live with going forward: 1) IF with about an 18:6 window and an early end during the weekdays. Weekend windows can sometimes go a bit longer, but often shorter just because I am more project-active and forget to eat. 2) 90-95% fatty animal food (residual 5% to 10% is carbs from salsa and other condiments if I choose). 3) No great exercise plans, but I currently walk for 20 minutes 5 times a week just for health and toning. And 4) I plan to stop smoking when I hit 12 months (I know it is bad for me, so please, no lectures!) so I realize there may be some gains around that timeā€¦ and I will adjust accordingly.

Thanks for all the help, information, resources, laughter and support the forum and my kickarse FB group have provided on this journey! I absolutely love, love, love all the NSVs and health and freedom that Keto and you have given me!

(KCKO, KCFO) #48

@gardengirlkp I found I am doing some of the things she suggests. Also picked up some tips and have a few tasks to do. I just kind of disregarded her low fat eating advice tho. No way I am going low fat ever again. :roll_eyes:

(Karen Parrott) #49

Yeah. Use your food template Keto/LCHF and apply the other suggestions. She wrote the book in 2008. And ā€œprimarian ā€œ would have been higher fat. But her publisher woul have shut her down back in the day.

Iā€™m so glad to find this thread! I lost 35ls (185 to 150 lbs, late 30s female, 5ā€™7") over 9 months on an LCHF diet that has become more keto over time. Iā€™ve maintained it for 6 mo using IF and keto and eating to satiety. I donā€™t have metabolic disorders but keto/IF has helped give me energy and clear allergies, asthma, and acne. For these 6 months, Iā€™ve been trying to lose the last 10 lbs, but maybe this is where Iā€™m meant to be for a while. I think I have about 27-28% BF, so an additional 10 lb loss should be achievable but it seems it will take some effort. So now Iā€™m trying to decide if I should just keep going as I am (I think this is the so-called Phinney weight) or try to change up fasting, drop cheese & nuts (!!!), or add exercise to move along those stubborn 10 lbs. Anyway, happy to read everyoneā€™s successes with maintenance here.

(KCKO, KCFO) #51

Have you tried 36 hr. or longer fasting at all. That was what blasted off my last 15 lbs. I stay in a 3 lb. range from my goal weight now, if I go over that 3 lbs. I just do the longer fasting. I do a lot of IFing because unless we are going out to breakfast, I usually just donā€™t want it anymore. I am sure that has helped me stay where I am now.

Yes! Though 24h is much more common for me. I eat OMAD about four times per week. I used to fast for more than 42 h easily but have found it difficult for the past few months. I finally managed a 48 h fast at a different part of my cycle and it as easy so I may try for longer fasts at a similar timing next month. Thanks for the suggestion and input!

Congrats! Great job!

My vote would be to add exercise- sounds like it may be an untapped resource. I feel like you get more bang for your buck from weightlifting than cardio- unless maybe HIIT; but it doesnā€™t hurt to mix it up too. The ā€œstrongliftsā€ and ā€œbody by scienceā€ references in this forum are pretty good for getting started and may be helpful.

Again- Congrats!!

Thank you! Iā€™ll dust off the 7 min work out again. Work plus last minute taxes has definitely helped me do some longer fasting this week. And Iā€™ve dropped cheese and nuts for now. We shall seeā€¦but at worst, I stay like thisā€¦

Thanks for this mention of Refuse to Regain. I just ordered it and am looking forward to reviewing the suggested strategies. For me, maintenance is the most anxiety-producing leg of this amazing journey. And as you pointed out, it is the LONGEST leg of the journey as well! So I am looking forward to some tools to use to keep it off for the rest of my increasingly healthy life! Thanks!

(Karen Parrott) #56

Apply your LCHF, Keto, and or fasting template to Dr Berkeleyā€™s methods. Each year , I felt more self sufficient. My Weight still wants to come back. I wonā€™t let it.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #57

Thatā€™s a great idea. I am losing but think it would be faster without the wine. I will try this. I somewhat hypocritically tell my friends that I have cut out fruit. Their response is: no you havenā€™t, youā€™re just drinking ā€œfruit juiceā€ in the eveningšŸ˜‚. Ok. So true.

Hi, introducing myself since Iā€™m about 15 pounds from goal. Age 67, 5-1, current weight 140, goal 125 110 was my high school- college weight but donā€™t know if I could maintain that anymore.

Been keto since January, after years and decades of yo-young on and off low carb. Long history of hypoglycemia, pre-diabetic with a fasting insulin of 37. That and a diagnosis of liver disease got my attention and got me back on track. Have lost 30 pounds since January and very happy with that.

NSVs beyond weight loss include no hypoglycemia, dropping fasting blood glucose, better mood, no more bladder spasms or infections and no tartar on my teeth! I wish I could say keto healed my back and foot pain, but alas, t hasnā€™t. 33 years as an RN has taken its toll there.

(Karen Parrott) #59

Congrats on your success!!
Kudos for thinking Weight Maintenance before goal.

30 year Med Tech in real life. I hear you on the long hours of standing.

(KCKO, KCFO) #60

But it is fermented fruit juice. The fermentation changes the sugars in the grapes to alcohols. And it has health benefits.

I have given up so many of my vices, I refuse to let go of wine and chocolate, i have to work them into my WOE. I have found that doing wine spitzers is a good way to have my wine, keep calories at bay, etc. I like the La Croix sparkling waters for this, lemon or lime works well. You could also just do seltzer water.

Cheers:wine_glass: