Week two update: need words of advice!

(Richard Hanson) #21

Hi Robert,

I am using the standard Vitamix container, it is huge, and it has small vents, so … no I don’t have that problem. There are smaller single serving containers for the machine that work just as you describe and they are not recommended for blending hot items.

I just like my coffee hot. For years, I have been preheating my cup in the microwave so that the cup does not cool down my coffee. After blending my coffee with cold butter and room temperature coconut oil, it is just not at my preferred temperature so I just microwave it for 30 seconds.

Sounds like you were using a Nutri-Bullet. I have one on my counter that used to gets lots of use and I have been SO tempted to mix my keto coffee in it but was never sure how well that would work out… I believe there’s a warning not to use it for hot liquids so, so far, I have held off. Thanks to you sharing your experience, I guess I’ll not think about it.

What I’ve been doing now is making the coffee in a big mug, using a milk frother to get it all emulsified, and then pouring it into an insulated thermos and heading off to the office. But on Amazon yesterday I purchased one of those blender bottles that has a stainless steel mixing ball in it? I may try that for the keto coffee as soon as it arrives… they say you can mix things as thick as peanut butter in it so butter and coconut oil should be fine, too. Will let you know.
Sue

(Consensus is Politics) #23

Yes, the Walmart version of it I think. After reading your reply this morning I decided to try just the plain old food processed. It’s pretty big, a bit overkill, but it didn’t explode. It did leak though. The high speed mode seems to toss the liquid around a lot. Looks like it’s gonne be an early Christmas gift for myself and find one of those high speed blender you stick in your cup. I don’t know the name, but it’s basically a blending wand.

(Vicki Stroud) #24

It’s an immersion blender, they work awesome are very inexpensive. Walmart carries them and they also work great for many keto items. Mashes cauliflauer, whips cream very fast, mixes up cream cheese, tons of different things, and cleans up quick and easy, best of all takes up little space it fits in a drawer.

(Beth) #25

@Robert_Johnson
Same thing happened to me!
It helped to cut way down on the amount of coffee I put in the blender. I blend a third of my coffee with the fats, then add that to more hot coffee in my mug.

(Daryl G Jackson ) #26

Keep calm and keto on. Armour potted meat is cheap and perfect.

(Raj Seth) #27

keto does not have to be expensive. Pork Rinds at Walmart are a cheap snack. Chuck Roast for 2ketodudes pulled beef recipe. The cheapest and BEST is pork belly. Roast pork belly is about the best and tastiest snack / meal there is. Remember to always always keep the bacon drippings in a tightly lidded jar (no need to refrigerate) When all else fails, pull out the hot dogs and throw some in a skillet with some bacon grease. The macros are right on. Just watch which hot dogs you buy since some are padded with carbohydrates.
beef chuck, pork belly, hot dogs - they dont break the bank - rib eye can be the occasional treat!
Also, can ask the local butcher for their trimmings. Can render the fat for homemade tallow. what remains in the pan is cracklins - so good that you will wonder why youve never had them before.

(Kate) #28

Where does one find pork belly to buy? I’ve not yet seen it on any of the local grocery stores.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #29

It happens.
Get back on tomorrow. Might have to go through carb flu again.

Talk to husband. Tell him not to enable.

It’s not how many times you fall off. It’s how well you get back on.

Gotta plan for success. Keeping a pantry with easy keto foods like olives, nuts, cheeses, salami, etc, keeps you ready. Always have some things in the freezer to make keto meals. Ground beef. Chicken thighs.

But most important, do better tomorrow.

(Jonathan Greene) #30

I find that one piece of Ghiradelli 100% cacao dark chocolate kills all my cravings and only has 3g net carbs

(Kristin ) #31

You nailed it! I’ve got to have my keto friendly substitutes!

(Buffy) #32

I’m on the first day of week 2. Last night I was smacked with a craving from hell for my sugarbear rendering: sour, sour candy! There was no way I was getting dressed again to go get it! Yet, it ate at me - sorry for the bad pun. I then remembered I had some single serving drink mix packets from Wally world. They’re ONLY 10 cals & sugar free. It worked wonderfully! Just dumped it on my tongue & sour city here I come! Plus as a bonus, I jumped on the scale & found I was down 8 pounds!
Godspeed
Buffy

(Nancy) #33

I just discovered spicy pork rinds. Cannot stand smell but if I don’t smell them they really aren’t bad. They have the spicy crunch I crave.

(Missy) #34

Watch out for the spicy ones. All the ones I’ve come across have MSG.:disappointed: I learned the hard way.

There’s a ton of great keto recipes for deserts.

(Daryl G Jackson ) #36

Potted meat, one can pretend it’s fois gras, 38 cents a can at Wal-Mart and really fatty, lots of protein and sodium and ZERO carbage! We really like to just eat it out of the can. We thought about making some savory fat bombs with it. We make a good living and could eat rib eye every day, but we don’t, variety and frugalness is a good way to live for anybody.

That stuff is terrible (in my opinion), it’s like eating cat food.

(Lorraine Piercy) #38

Yes I have the same problem so I only blend the shot of coffee with the butter or what ever then add hot water.

Crunchy salty. Keep some crunchy celery and himalayan salt avail. Has worked for me but seriously EVERYONE has gone off the reservation. You are human and the USDA /FDA/BIG PHARMA/BIG FOOD has had their way with us far too long. Don’t beat your self up learn and most of all don’t let a bad day turn into a bad week!!!

(Candy Lind) #40

I have a Ninja and have done the “hot coffee everywhere” thing, too - reduced liquid volume - and then socked it down so tightly I couldn’t get the blasted thing open. :confounded: I just use my immersion blender now. For travel I got a teeny-tiny battery operated blender by Norpro on Amazon, $10 and not much good for anything but frothy coffee, but it does that well.