Week two update: need words of advice!

Are we allowed to curse on here? Because fffffffffuck! On my two week mark I decided to have a bowl of extra flaming hot Cheetos which by the way are my biggest weakness oh and also 6 double stuffed Oreos.

I have absolutely no excuse other than the fact that I was weak minded and my ever so loving husband ran to the store to buy them for me.

Not gona lie, I ran out of food. Or should I say Keto friendly food. I had no more bacon, I had my last two eggs yesterday morning and I ran out of the very expensive rib eye steak I had bought. I get paid tomorrow so I will re up and also be more cautious about how I spend my money ( but thatā€™s another story)

Although I know Iā€™ve been kicked out of Ketosis I do plan on resuming. I am drowning in guilt this morning because well I couldā€™ve easily said no.

My cravings for savory and sweeet snacks never quiet left tho, it just became easier to say no.

Do you guys have any advice for that ? :thinking:

Also, who has broken their diet and bounced right back ? Am I alone here ? :disappointed:

(John B) #2

Weā€™ve all been there, and eventually most find that the cravings go away. But, sometimes you do want something sweet or salty.

For sweet, we have discovered Swerve, which is an all natural sugar substitite. I was never a fan of articial sweeteners, due to the aftertaste, but swerve has none! I made my wife a Chocolate Mug cake (tons of similar recipes in this forum), whipped up some heavy cream with a tablespoon of swerve for a whipped topping. Get creative! As far as salty cravings, we eat pork rinds, and I found that some of that topping you can put on popcorn has very little carbs, so I add some of that from time to time. We buy Lowreyā€™s Microwave Pork Rinds which are fabulous (Amazon). Nuts are also a good craving kicker, but watch the carb count on these. Brazil, Hazel, Walnuts, all are relatively low, but cashews are pretty high.

Best of luck!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #3

Still here to cheer you on. Just get back on the wagon, and KCKO.

Donā€™t beat yourself up. This is not the end of the line, itā€™s a hiccup. Put it out of your mind, and keep your eyes on the future, not the past.

Keep calm. You can do this.

PS ā€“ The Keto fat bombs and mug cakes (see Recipes section) are super useful for when you experience an intense craving for sweet or rich, carby-type things. I second the Swerve endorsement above for use in these little treats. Itā€™s hard to feel deprived after one (or (ahem) two). And they will not kick you out of ketosis.

(BryanS) #5

At two weeks this would be expected, addicts (no offense intended but we are talking about carb/sugar addiction) almost always relapse temporarily, for me it is chocolate chip cookies. Your post reveals you know what went wrong and the solutions:

1. You know your trigger foods, so now you can take steps to avoid them
  2. Instruct your husband not to be an enabler
  3. Watch food stores so you donā€™t run out of bacon!
  4. Try the fat bomb recipes so you can fulfill that sweet craving if necessary (but donā€™t get hooked on them either)
  5. You already know to turn to a support group (this forum)

Make it over this hump and you will be a long way to reducing those cravings. Focus on the positive and lessons learned. Keep up the good work!

(Richard Hanson) #6

Hi Gatahavit,

Doctors have been telling people to eat low fat for decades, and more fruit/vegetables/carbs as a consequence. In the long run, the failure rate of this advice for weight loss is well over 90%, so then doctors blame the patient. We are trained to experience guilt when we fail, conditioned by the very people who should be helping us to blame ourselves.

Stop It!!! Seriously. :wink:

It sounds like you are doing great and it is going to take more than two weeks to transform your long therm eating behaviors.

No one should blame you for being human! No one needs an excuse for being human.

I would not even think of this as a setback. Instead, it is an experience from which to learn, an opportunity to gain a greater understanding how your body is reacting to the massive change in the diet you are consuming. Celebrate what you have learned, utilize this greater understanding, and soldier on!

Keto for life.

Warmest Regards,
Richard

I loved this! Thank you so much.

Oh, Iā€™m definitely an addict to those damn chips. The worst part of it all was that as soon as they hit my stomach I felt physically sick. What is motivating me now is how great i felt for those two week, physically and mentally I felt great! I hope to get back on track soon. Ty for the encouragement!

(Brad) #9

Sounds like you are still dealing with the ā€œKeto Crackā€. Hang in there @Gatahavitā€¦ you can do it!

(Brian) #10

Youā€™ll have to give hubby instructionsā€¦

Instead of buying chips, buy another dozen (or two or three) eggs.

Instead of Oreos, buy some more bacon or hamburger or drumsticks.

Itā€™s always harder to say ā€œnoā€ when the temptation is sitting right in front of you than if itā€™s not actually in the house.

I like the idea of mug cakes. Have yet to make one but like the idea. Gotta do that one of these daysā€¦ At least that would be sweet.

This happens to the best of us. Eventually, the pleasure received from eating things we used to love diminishes. For me, at least, the progress lost from getting kicked out of ketosis and then waiting to get back in is no longer worth the temporary fleeting pleasure gained from eating the previously coveted food items. Personally, certain keto foods are much more desirable to me now than most carbs I used to want.

(Beth) #12

I feel ya!
I caved during week 3 on a cookie and a few bites of cheesecake at a work party. Next day I had gained five pounds! Water, but still, ugh! It was SO frustrating and I was so mad at myself!
I remind myself of this crappy lesson whenever I get tempted.
I learned to ALWAYS have keto treats.
I love the regular Cheetos, so I use this recipe:

Maybe you could add hot sauce, cayenne, whatever works to create the flavor you love?
Whatever snack food you love, someone else misses it too and has probably come up with a keto version & posted the recipe. Google is your best friend.

Wow thank you ! This one Iā€™ll try for sure

(Gale Dacalio) #14

Keep calm an keto on
You can jump right back in ketosisā€¦

(Ken) #15

There was nothing ā€œwrongā€ with your limited Carb intake, especially after a two week period of sustained lipolysis. True, it temporarily halted lipolysis, but simply was not enough to cause any readaptations back into lipogenesis. If anything, it was metabolically beneficial. Itā€™s the overall hormonal secretion pattern that counts. If youā€™re trying to lose fat, just make sure itā€™s only occasional.

(Consensus is Politics) #16

I feel your pain. Iā€™ve been there too. A few years ago I did Keto. Lost 20 pounds the first week, and another 20 by the end of the month. Yep, 40 pounds in one month. Everyone thought I was crazy, and how unhealthy this diet must be. None of them ever heard the word Keto before, let alone understand it is burned by your body better than sugar is. Its just sugar is easier to burn so your body will crave it. Especially me.

My personal sin, or vice if you will, is snacks. Chips, cookies, ice cream, candy bars. Too numerous to mention them all. All of them off limits while on Keto. So my first trip into Keto lasted maybe 3 months. Talk about back sliding. I fell off the wagon hard, then the wagon backed up and rolled over me a few times. I would go shopping, and almost every time it would include several LARGE bags of chips. The spicier the better. Tried all of the ā€˜Flamming Hotā€™ varieties. Would eat one of those 20ish serving bags on the way home. Alternatively I would pick up a box of Little Debbie cakes. Thereā€™s at least six double serving packs in each box. Whole box gone before getting home. Home is only 8 miles away too.

So after my Dx with Type 2 diabetes, I knew I just had to consider all of those carbs as pure poison. I couldnt think of them as anything edible. Took me a while. But every time I saw a snack food, I would just think poison. IT eventually worked, but it was tough.

I needed to find a replacement snack. I was going through snack withdrawals. I knew I might break in a moment of weakness if not careful. So I looked up Very low carb snacks. Almonds were first. But I would eat them until they were all gone. They too have a few carbs per hand full, and I was eating many hand fulls. One of the best things I found for my snack cravings was already mentioned, Pork Rinds, Chicharonnes, Cracklins. Low in proteins, high in fat, 0 carbs.

I look over the Sour Creams very carefully to find one that isnt low fat, and has less than 1 carb per serving. Iā€™ll make a sourcream dip with that. And OOMPH! its a great snack. The crunchiness of the pork rinds take the place of the missing chips. Iā€™ve also started adding Avocado to stretch that sourcream out, and add fat to it. This snack helps with a few things. It takes care of the physical need to be scacking, or munching on something crunchy, and the salt to replace what I lose on keto, as well as the potassium in the avocado. Iā€™ve even gotten into adding cyan pepper powder into the mix to spice it up.

Ok, for this maybe someone else can correct me. But isnt bacon cured meat? Doesnt it have a very long refrigerated shelf life? I usually buy 2 or 3 packages at a time to last me through to the next big shopping day. I know eggs last a very long time too. My stepdaughter bought a 5 dozen box of eggs one day. It got moved under the seat in the car and went full on stealth mode for a week, until she asked me if I brought them in. I said, sorry, no clue what I brought in from the car a week ago. So I went and searched the car, found them, brought them in. Everyone was horrified as I took a couple out and fried them up. My thought was that baby chicks live in these shells for a month. They do ok. Even the non fertilized ones on the farm might sit with the chickens for a week or so before being gathered. And I remember when I lived in England that nobody there kept their eggs in the fridge, and they always did fine.

OK, so all of that verbosity about bacon and eggs to say STOCK UP! They wonā€™t (shouldnt) go bad. Just remember to keep them on your shopping list as a default to buy more, can never have too much of.

So if/when you screw up, and carb binge, you can get back on track with a little help from your bacon man, in his bacon house, and a few eggs.

Eventually on Keto you will get to a point where those cravings will subside, and be dismissed with a thought. If you do get them, try the salt trick, it works for me. Put a pinch of salt on your tongue, and let it dissolve there. Works for me every time (so far).

(Consensus is Politics) #17

Almost forgot. Keep some coconut oil, and ghee on hand. Requires no refrigeration. If you drink coffee, you can add a teaspoon off each for a fat booster to take on the day with. Its also known as Bulletproof coffee, but I think thatā€™s actually a brand name. Iā€™ll drink a cup of that at 7am and wonā€™t be hungry until after 2pm. Even then a pinch of salt will hold me out for another couple of hours before I feel hungry again.

(Richard Hanson) #18

In an effort to increase my caloric intake while still staying under my carb and protein limits, I have started adding butter and coconut oil to my morning coffee. I just call it keto coffee as I am not interested in commercializing or complicating a healthy food choice.

One great benefit is that fat has the lowest insulin response of the macros so breaking your fast each morning with fat is going to prolong the period of time during which your serum insulin levels are as low as possible. I just dump two tbsp of butter and one tbsp of coconut oil into the Vitamix along with a cup of coffee, blend for a bit on high, poor it up and microwave for just a bit to bring the temperature back up. I like my coffee very hot. I took my coffee black for a great many years, but I truly enjoy the taste of my keto java.

What amazes me is that I do this at around 5:30 AM and my sweet bride does not complain despite the fact that it wakes her up. It is so very obvious how much better my health is now, after 17 weeks of keto, that I can get away with just about anything that furthers that effort.

When I bought the Vitamix a few weeks back, the very first thing I made was frozen margaritas just for Mrs. Hanson. It is not like I am a complete moron.

Best Regards,
Richard

(Consensus is Politics) #19

Do you ever have the exploding seal problem when mixing hot coffee? Or are you bringing the temp way down and then re-heating it? My mixer is the type where you screw the lid onto the mixing glass. That lid contains the blades. you invert it onto the motor and twist. The seal is a soft silicone ring. It doesnā€™t handle the sudden increase in air pressure caused by rapid expansion as the hot coffee releases its heat into the air inside, and WAMO! Iā€™m wearing hot coffee.

Oh cool I didnā€™t know chicharrones were Keto friendly. That might be my cheeto replacement if I add a lot of drops of tapatĆ­o. Yum