Waking up with a headache

(William Aschmetat) #1

Hello all. Long story short, kind of! I’ve been keto since mid 2016. Dropped about 60 lb, blood work improved greatly (not according to my doctor, haha!), HbA1c improved from 5.9 to 5.2 and I reversed my fatty liver disease! I began working out in January of 2017 three times a week and have maintained for over a year. I used to hate exercise and now I love it for some strange reason! I will be keto for the rest of my life. I will never look back. But here’s the rub: I never noticed all the benefits that so many people talk about. The mental clarity/focus, the energy improvement. Not always, but sometimes I still get groggy during the day. And all of this I can live with just fine. But to get to the heart of my question, I recently decided to try a month of nothing but beef, butter, coffee and water. (Salt and pepper too) So far I love it, mostly for its simplicity and who doesn’t love beef? But the one thing I’ve noticed since going zero carb is that, on occasion, I wake up with a headache. Any suggestions on what I might be missing or doing wrong? Thank you all.

Groggy and headache suggest dehydration and not enough salt. Might want to make an electrolyte drink (can be as simple as salt and water - or something like KetoAide) to have more regularly. And probably a good dose before going to bed. But then you have the choice of waking up with a headache or having to get up to pee during the night :joy:.

(Karen) #3

Ya that clarity thing…never feel it. Although perhaps what people are describing as mental clarity is just the absence of carb fog. Dunno

K

(William Aschmetat) #4

Thanks Ajax. I was thinking that may be a problem for me even though I usually salt my beef fairly heavily. I’m going to make a homemade batch of this electrolyte elixir and see if it helps! Thanks again…

Just salt on your food is likely not be enough. You will notice on the forums - we all drink a lot more water and ingest a lot more salt than we were previously used to. It’s all part of the metabolic shifting as we get fat adapted. Search the forums and you’ll find good info on how much salt we need and why.

(Sarah ) #6

electrolytes. more organ meats

(William Aschmetat) #7

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it very much…