Vintage Ladies Keto Klub

I did full-on carnivore for a few days. My kryptonite isn’t cheese, but nuts. Macadamia nuts, pecans or walnuts. So, dropping those was hard. I did meat (mainly beef); butter, HWC in my coffee, unsweetened iced tea- which isn’t carnivore- but I hardly think it matters. I felt amazing, too! Mental clarity - check. Energy - check. Weight loss- check. looked leaner- check. No aches or pains whatsoever. I’m thinking total carnivore is the way to go now. I rarely touch veggies nowadays.

I love cooking, so limiting myself to meats only is saddening to me. But, I am figuring out new ways to improve taste and texture, and create other textures - like crispy beef crackling, and chicken skin crackling. Yum.

(hottie turned hag) #826

LMAOOO see my self hatred thread re: PECAN BINGE :smile:

(mole person) #827

This has been my biggest issue with keto and as of yet nothing has solved it and I’ve been at it for two years now. Mine is a bit worse than yours. I generally go ten to twelve days between bms with the last few days being fairly uncomfortable.

Unlike you I never really used laxatives much but I’ve had digestion issues my whole life which led to what I used to call “tumble poo”. Basically, a single massive morning urge where very unformed poo would fall out of me in an instant. I thought it was a fine thing in my youth not to have to sit ages on the toilet like other folks but now I recognize it was always a symptom of IBS. Anyhow, as a result of three decades of this I now have extremely messed up motility. My body doesn’t know how to push poo through my intestines unless it’s essentially “flowing”.

I’ve tried everything recommended here. One thing that does work for me, although I only use it rarely since I’m trying to retrain my bowels to function without aids, is magnesium citrate. I was foolish and in spite of repeatedly seeing this recommendation I only finally tried it very recently because I’ve been so anti aids of any sort. But now, if the discomfort gets too bad a single capsule at night will free me of it the next day. Once, I had to take a second in the morning but that’s it.

I hope this helps.

When I went full carnivore, I ended up taking the magnesium citrate too. I figured out that the nuts I was eating in between meat servings must have been providing the necessary “roughage” so that I wasn’t ever constipated. Minus the nuts, things changed. So, I take one mag cit in the am, and one in the evening/before bed. Now everything seems to be in harmony. A long swig of coffee in the morning, and things move along quite efficiently.
However, that wasn’t my only motive for taking mag… After I went full carnivore and then segued off, I started getting horrific leg /foot cramps from being on my feet all day, so I took the mag and potassium before bed, and it alleviated the cramping for the most part.
I go back and forth now. I’ll go a few days full carnivore, and a few days not. IF is kind of sporadic now. Some days, 20/4; some days 17/7; some days, I just fast. Mostly, depends on work.

Does anyone find taking probiotics to be helpful or beneficial in any way? I know there are “colon health” probiotics, and “digestive” probiotics. Didn’t know if it was worth it to invest in any of that stuff.

(Susan) #829

@Ilana_Rose

Thanks for the helpful advice =) I have been taking 2 magnesium citrate for a few weeks (I included it when I started taking the Pink Himalyan Salt daily. It wasn’t helping, but yesterday afternoon I took 2 more (so 4 for the day) and I drank 4 cups of boiled water, 1 heaping tablespoon of the Salt, (because Dena had posted before that that works for her) and I broke my fast and had 2 sausages my hubby had barbecued, and a spinach salad. Shortly after eating I went 3 times in a row in short succession… had to rush to bathroom each time. I am not sure which of the 4 things(the additional tablets, the hot water, the salt or the eating) or it was the combination of the four that triggered it, but I went a bunch (it was extremely loose, no form) but I felt sooooo much better afterwards.

I think I have figured out that it is Coconut Oil that is causing my distress; I know others have commented that Coconut products make them go, but I have been taking them daily, and never did prior to Keto.
I have already eliminated all artificial sweeteners, coffee, dairy and now coconut products. I am not sure if I have to permanent delete all of them (the cheese I am missing, the rest I can easily live without).

(Susan) #830

@SecondBreakfast:

I take the following supplements daily, and the last one is a prescription for my asthma from my doctor, that I hope in time I can get rid of:

The digestive enzymes I just started recently because of a thread on here when we were all discussing gallbladder removal and other ladies that have had theirs out as well (I had mine out in December, 2003) were saying that they had bloating, and other symptoms and they took these, so I have been taking them since then too.

(mole person) #831

I had noticed in your posts that you take “high absorption” magnesium citrate. It’s actually the lower absorption of the citrite that causes it’s bowel action. When magnesium isn’t absorbed it draws water into the intestines and softens things up helping it to move along.

(Susan) #832

Oh no! I bought the wrong one?? I bought 3 bottles of it, to spend enough for free shipping, and still on first bottle… =(. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out for me =).

Mark Sisson (Mark’s Daily Apple) says one of his goals is to “LGN”–look good naked. I don’t think it’s hopeless, but it does require some fitness goals in addition to losing weight. 80-year-old Ernestine Shepherd is definitely one of my role models. If I look half as good as she does at 80 when I’m 60, I’ll be happy.

Just remember that he is trying to maintain his weight, not lose, and never had significant metabolism problems. IDM typically doesn’t recommend a lot of OMAD for losing weight or fixing metabolism issues. I think mixing in a few days of it is good as you’re transitioning to fasting or just to mix things up sometimes, so your body doesn’t get into too much of a routine.

Did you have any issues with loose skin afterwards? Fasts of at least 42 hours increase autophagy which helps with preventing the loose skin that people have after significant weight loss. I’m betting this is an even bigger problem for those of us that are older and losing skin elasticity. (BTW–65 lbs. is amazing! Congratulations on that!).

LOL. For me, that does not sound like “a lot” for one day. That sounds like maybe 1000 calories. That’s a big meal, but I’d be hungry (and worried about my metabolism tanking), if I ate like that daily. But I’d definitely drop weight. I don’t mean to sound like I’m criticizing. It’s amazing that you found something that worked so well for you. I’m just laughing, because my “satiety” point is waaay higher than that. I think that’s why the whole “eat to satiety” thing never works for me.

(hottie turned hag) #834

HOLY COW she is stunning. She looks 50. I met a black lady once in a thrift store, we were both shopping. I was staring at her because she was so fabulous looking. Tall, slender, dressed beautifully, face like a Vogue cover (kinda like the gal you linked to, bone structure to die for), she looked about my age (55) MAX but could have been 45ish and next to her I looked like the scullery maid.

I finally said something to her to the effect of sorry for staring but you are so striking.
Her: “ha I look pretty good for 50, yeah?”
Me: “heckyeah you do”
Her: (laughing) “I have a son who is 50” :flushed:

Sure do. My formerly round buttocks that was the envy of females and the source of admiration for males (prior to getting fat after menopause I mean) resembles accordion folds as it droops nicely, and is so flat I get coccygeal pain after sitting at my desk too long.
Interestingly, my abdomen which had grown to barrel-esque proportions when fat, is flat and sleek looking (I never got stretch marks though I have multiple children most of whom were 9+lbs) though still has some flab in the suprapubic region. Thighs? Loose as heck and flabby too.

May be, I never count cals but that’s not every day. Some days it’s even more. It varies. It def goes up to prob 3000 cals some days.

(Margie) #835

:blush:

(Karen) #836

Daily accountability. Feel free to JOIN ME. Did you have a snickers bar? Jjust say it. No Judging. By tallying weigh-ins and what people are eating maybe we can figure out, what us ladies of a certain age, can reliably use to drop those extra pounds.
I’ll start

165 pounds
Coffee with heavy whipping cream
And Splenda zero
Lunch - green beans, Spinach, sauerbraten, ice cream bar (yes, ice cream)
Snack- a handful of Mercona almonds
Dinner-a repeat of lunch plus a spinach salad. Wasn’t that hungry for lunch so I saved half of it.
After class—coffee with heavy whipping cream and sweetener
Thoughts on the Day: the ice cream was not a good choice but I was sharing one with my mom.

165 pounds
Breakfast - Chaffle with slice Colby Jack cheese , Chaffle with 1T natural peanut butter and butter. Coffee with heavy whipping cream and sweetener. 2/3 of my fat for the day, 1/3 of my carbs for the day, 1/4 of my protein for the day. Lunch needs to be a little heavier on protein
Lunch – 1/2 a power bowl. Too spicy.
Dinner - hamburger with Chaffle bread. Piece reheated potato.

(Susan) #837

I am doing 3-44 hour fasts a week atm until Nov 30 and on my eating days I post it on my Accountability Thread but I can post it here too =).

I weight 240 and probably will for a few weeks as the scale moves about 1-2 pounds a month for me.

Today was an eating day:
Lunch at 2:30 (meant to eat at 1pm but forgot, I rarely get hungry so have to keep track of the time better):
10 pieces of bacon in 1/2 cup of lettuce with 2 tablespoons of Chosen foods avocado Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons MCT Oil
1 black coffee

Supper at 4:40 -Great Value boneless/skinless chicken breasts, and 1 red pepper, sauteed in EVOO
1 Peppermint tea, plain

For evening treat: I cup of herbal tea, plain (no carbs or calories).

Calories for the day: 1667 -144 grams of protein, 8.5 grams of net carbs, 116.4 grams of fat

Now no food for me until Saturday at 1pm or maybe an OMAD day so might be at 6pm when we go to Wendy’s and I will have 2 plain burgers on a lettuce bun, no condiments. We are going to a “Beatles” concert. I will have 1 drink there, probably a glass of dry red wine. I will feel guilty for doing this but I probably will.

(Karen) #838

I will join you if possible in your fast tomorrow. I may include some fat coffee, but I could use a break from food. I’m supposed to meet up with my son but I can probably figure out something. I’ll watch him eat. I can probably put on weight just watching him eat.

(Susan) #839

I have been losing very slowly, without cheating and eliminating dairy for over a month,etc as well. I have decided to buy HWC tomorrow evening and some cream cheese and to use them both in moderation, but still not to use sour cream or hard cheese or any other dairy for now. I will use them on occasion, like for a Keto pizza, but not regularly for now at least. Going dairy free since October 18th did not assist me in losing any weight, so I think if I just have a bit in one or two coffees/teas a day it will be okay. I generally don’t have coffee, I am more a tea and herbal tea fan, but if I am really tired in the morning, I make a coffee.

I think this fasting protocol is effective for me, but I was missing the HWC and cream cheese meal I love (peppers cut up, filled with the cream cheese and wrapped in ham slices or bacon, in the oven until the meat is cooked nicely (which takes a bit longer with the bacon but the ham also gets crispy and nice this way). Thanks to @Janie for making this one day and telling me about it, as it is one of my favourite lunches and I have missed that for over a month so looking forward to having that on Saturday now =).

I know what you mean about gaining weight seeing people eat, I feel like that some days too. We can do this Karen =) one day we will be all slim and feeling great and be in Maintenance!! I keep reminding myself, I was 293 in February and I am 240 now, so this is working -it just takes time and patience but I will get there! You will too! We just have to keep Ketoing on =).

(Karen) #840

Breakfast was going to be fasting but poured a cup of mct oil with collagen. Drank it instead. Cup of coffee with heavy whipping cream
Lunch: OK I got hungry so I had a turkey, Swiss, avocado sandwich on chuffle bread with lettuce and mayonnaise
Dinner - leftovers. A little carby

Last day of vacation in the Smoky Mountains.
Stayed the course for the full week until yesterday when hubby ordered French fries and I had a few. Then tonight he ordered Cookies and Milk from room service and I had a bite of his incredibly warm gooey chocolate chip cookie. It was so sweet it was gross! Totally not worth blowing my no sugar or gluten since January:(

(traci simpson) #842

6oz coffee w 1 tbls HWC
A SMALL tender filet wrapped in bacon
A few macadamia s
3 additional pieces of bacon
Burger w cheese and onions
Roasted cauliflower

(Karen) #843

Breakfast: MCT and collagen.
Chaffle with cheese Chaffle with peanut butter
Lunch: chicken with cheese and a little bit of quinoa, green beans, a small amount of sweet potatoes
dinner: large steak salad

(Susan) #844

I just had an OMAD today, because I knew I had my concert tonight (which was awesome).

We went to Wendy’s before the concert and I ordered a Burger that had cheese and bacon and asked for a Lettuce wrap and no condiments. I know that Mustard would have been okay but I had that last time and it tasted really strong to me so I went plain this time and it was really nice.

I pre-drank at home 2 ounces of Vodka that I drank with Walmart brand Perrier that is a sparking water with no artificial sweetener. At the venue hubby had a beer and I had a Vodka and Diet Coke (it was the only diet pop they had, I prefer a sprite or 7-up but they didn’t have either in diet). Since beginning Keto in February the only times I have had any alcohol have been on the three concert nights I have been to in April, October and tonight. The next time will be Christmas Day (maybe) and New Year’s Night (for sure). I find that a few drinks is all I need now to have a nice little buzz and that is all I want.

I am not sure how many calories/macros I had but it was a really fun night. I had a nice little buzz but not drunk, so that was great =). This really lovely lady and her mom that have been at our same table for a few of the concerts is doing Keto as well so we are going to talk about it. I gave her my phone number, and she already has my email (because she was kind and took a pic of me and my hubby last April at that concert and emailed it to me).