Vintage Ladies Keto Klub

(Arlene) #545

I read Tracy’s recent story, and it just makes me feel tired and sad. She has recommitted herself to achieving her goals; something I have done numerous times over the years. Regardless of my “diet of choice”, the weight comes off to a certain point and then stops. Then it starts coming back on. Then I get discouraged and start tweaking what I’m doing, trying to find the magic formula to enable my body to reach and maintain a healthy weight. I have been on just about every diet ever dreamed up, spanning several decades. Several years ago I started Paleo, then low carb, then keto in December 2016, then zero carb in January/February 2017, then IF and EF throughout 2017. I initially lost the 30 pounds I had gained just prior to starting, but no further weight loss after March of 2017, no matter what I did. After my last attempted extended fast, about 6 weeks ago I just started thinking about food all the time. Every subsequent attempt to fast over the last 6 weeks gets me freaking out about food.
Some people seem to have made peace with their obesity because they feel good eating this way. I am truly thankful that at least I don’t have to worry about diabetes or heart disease as long as I eat these healthy foods. I just find it unreasonable to accept that obesity is in any way healthy. A little plumpness may be a good safety margin as humans age, but 50# of excess fat seems entirely unnecessary, and contrary to my perception of what a healthy person should look like. In my opinion, a healthy person should appear healthy. I realize there are many thin people that are not healthy, but how can an obese person be truly healthy? I would think that, given the correct nutrition, rest, and exercise the human body should be capable of, even anxious to return to a healthy weight.
I am baffled, sad, frustrated, mad,…argh!
I don’t expect to ever make peace with my excess “fat” baggage, but I realize I have no choice or control in the matter. The best I can hope for is to remain as healthy as possible, eating healthy foods and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
I must apologize for this very negative post. Normally I am an upbeat person. I try to encourage others. I never want to be someone who brings others down. Optimism has been my mantra all my life. I think maybe, at least where lifelong obesity is concerned, my optimism well has gone dry.

(Karen) #546

@farmgirl

I have been stuck for a month. Tweeking. Today a drop! I am going to fat fast Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday. Trying to shake it up. Reduced sweetners (not entirely gone), reduced protein to 10%, calculated my TDEE and sticking to it. I know I can do this. I know you can!! I am soooo pleased with the drop after yesterday’s fast. Looking forward to Tuesday’s fast.
K

(Tracy) #547

Hey Arlene.

I’ve been there many times myself. I have always been the fat kid, but I have always been super strong and healthy too. I am still healthy regardless of the 200 plus pounds I still carry. I would put my labs up against any of my peers and come away the winner. Unless we’re looking at thyroid that is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can certainly understand not wanting to be at a weight you don’t want to be. I’m content to make my size 14 pants a little less snug and stay there, but that’s me. I don’t really want to lose weight that I can’t keep off, but I’ll never be a size 20 again!!!

It’s completely understandable to be battle weary. I have felt that way a lot over the past seven months of no further weight loss and now a ten pound gain. I have tried some fasting too, but I have been very careful with it for the same reasons you are stating. I wish that I could have the same success as other people enjoy, but if I was fat as a child, and a teen, when I was very active and belonged to every sports team I could get onto, then expecting as a 54 year old to become what I couldn’t back then is kind of dangerous for my mental health. I have to do what I can to cure my disordered eating, and right now I believe ZC will help me to achieve that. However, at a certain point I have to let go and trust that I am doing the best I can. And maybe one day soon I can get my thyroid functioning properly and some more weight loss can happen!

Doing your best and not seeing results is frustrating as hell, but I have to have hope that staying on this road will keep me from falling victim to my old ways and will allow me to stay healthy into my 60s and beyond.

As far as I’m concerned, you never have to apologize for being, as you say, “negative.” This is a forum of support. We are here, or at least I am here, to hear the good AND the bad. Many people I’m sure will resonate with your current state of dissatisfaction and frustration. Just don’t give up! If you feel good eating this way, then hang onto that for now. It’s better than the alternative, as far as I’m concerned.

Take care! :kissing_heart:

(Arlene) #548

Tracy, Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your words are so encouraging to me. Again, Thank you!

(Liz) #549

So well said, couldn’t agree more, we are here supporting each other. My mantra right now is one day at a time and one ounce at at time if that’s how it goes…but go it will, never going to give up KCKO this time. :grinning::+1:

(Liz) #550

Hang in, we are all here with you. My storyis similar to yours,…so many years, so many diets, so many broken promises and dreams…but I do feel different this time. Stalled badly for 5 weeks, normally would have given up…stayed keto and have just seen a small drop…good enough for me!
It is so tough but be kind to yourself, you are here, you have support and day by day you can do this :handshake::+1::grinning:

(Arlene) #551

Thank you so much Liz. You expressed my feelings beautifully. 9 months at the same weight, fluctuating up a few pounds, then back down but NEVER ANY LOWER. I just get sooooooooo frustrated! The fasting failures put me over the edge, emotionally. I expected fasting to make the difference. I expected the fasting “suffering” to be worth it. It wasn’t worth it for me. For me there is nothing enjoyable about abstaining from food on purpose. As long as I am planning to eat regular meals; meaning I am not purposefully fasting, I will go 5-7 hours between meals and only eat 2 meals a day, quite easily and naturally. This can easily extend into 24 hours fasted without feeling any deprivation or hunger. The moment I decide to up my weight loss game and FAST on purpose, I think about food the entire time. Crave sugar…not good. No, intentional fasting is not good for my head. After 6 weeks of post-fasting food cravings/binging I am still digging myself out. At least I can say I gave intentional fasting an honest try for almost a year.

(Tracy) #552

Good day, ladies! My name is Tracy, I’m an (almost) 47 year old peri-menopausal sugar addict and I have struggled all my life with food and body image issues. Well, today is my 8 week Ketoversary and just wanted to say I have been reading this thread and am so thankful I found it! Also so grateful to all of you for sharing your stories and so much fabulous, helpful information for women! I got on the keto train because my brother lost 60 lbs in several months and he looks and feels fantastic… however, he is a 6’2 athletic male as opposed to my 5’4 fairly sedentary self… so I am obviously not expecting such dramatic results. I never keep a scale in the house so I’m going by clothing and how I feel. Feeling great, doing “lazy” keto and moderate exercise and loving the benefits! I never thought I could go 8 weeks without sugar, mac n cheese or beer, but 8 weeks in and I’m so excited I’ve been able to do it without being completely miserable. Thanks again to all of you and I wish you all the best <3

(Marie Dantoni) #553

Hey Arlene, Just in case you want to hear it again…we have all experienced what you are feeling. For me, the reality is that you only have 2 choices. Either you stay the course, or you wind up having to start all over again. Don’t you give up.

(Karen) #554

Welcome Tracy @Grateful4Keto. Congrats! 8 weeks keto clean.

K

(Tracy) #555

This! A hundred times this! Best keto advice ever! :grin:

(Tracy) #556

Way to go! Eight weeks is well on your way. And that is the truly magical part of keto, being able to step away from the sugary foods without wanting gnaw off your own arm. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:

(Arlene) #557

Thanks Marie. Yesterday was just a “rock bottom” moment. I do feel better today, and I appreciate everyone’s support. I had no idea I needed support, go figure! I will continue this way of eating, but I have stopped tweaking the diet for a while. All that experimenting with adding fat, removing fat, fasting, not fasting, more protein, less protein, veggies or no veggies…it’s all just messing with my head right now. I am sticking with simple keto rules, and to hell with the scale. My weight will be what it will be and that’s just the reality.
Thank you all for your support.

(Tracy) #558

Hahaa yes, exactly!!! Every other time I’ve lost weight (and of course regained eventually) I have been literally counting the minutes to my next meal.
To think I’m actually intrigued by and considering prepping for an EF is blowing my mind! But once I learn a bit more about doing it safely, I intend on rising to the challenge. I need autophagy in my life :smiley:

(Tracy) #559

Thank you, Karen! Your posts about fasting have really been helpful to me, I’m working my way up from IF to EF … not quite there yet but I may try a fat fast with the cream cheese just because that sounds like a fun one! :wink: Pre Keto, I would never be even considering 3 days without food! I am still in awe of the changes.

(Lisa Stevens) #560

I’m feeling better than ever just by eating more carbs about every 3 days or when I exercise. Apparently women need a few more carbs for thyroid to work properly. We especially need them to be more active. I feel great! I’m energetic again and can recover from exercise.

(Jo) #561

Thank you Lisa for your reply, I’m glad to hear that you are feeling more energetic! I am hypo thyroid as well, perhaps I need to start experimenting. I have been trying to exercise in a fasted state, usually I feel pretty good afterward, but last week I felt awful.

(Lisa Stevens) #562

That’s what happened to me. I kept lowering the carbs and protein, fasting, fat fasting. Then I just started feeling really bad. I stopped fasting but wss still really low carb and still felt bad. After seeking out books written by women on keto I’m finding that a keto-paleo approach is what works for most women who start out losing weight and then stall. Going too low carb for too long can slow down the metabolism for a woman. You have to focus on eating whole foods and listen to your body. Keep it simple and it when you’re hungry. I shoot for up to 50 carbs about every 3 days. So far the lowest morning ketone reading was 0.9 so that’s well within nutritional ketosis. I’ve also noticed some excellent new muscles. I had to break out of the diet mindset with too many rules and restrictions.

(Jo) #563

Very interesting Lisa. I’m going to pay attention to my body and how I’m feeling. I have been intermittent fasting, and curious about longer fasts, but hesitant.

(Margie) #564

Don’t give up😏 I am struggling too and have gotten off with several non-Keto cheats. . . I live in a house of carb addicts that are not in the right spot to commit to try this with me, I think Hubby very well could be a TOFI person, he lives on carbs and cigarettes. Most of my co-workers are probably metabolically deranged as are at least 2/3rds of my church family. However, I am currently about 10 pounds down from mid January, but know it would be more if I hadn’t had the poor choices. Maybe we could just repeat KCKO…I know we can do it. I would miss seeing your support on here. You let others know that you are human too. Hang in there! Maybe we can break thru and be examples to those around us. Best Regards.