Vintage Ladies Keto Klub

(Karen) #332

The Doctor pretty much wanted blood before breakfast. Not an IF or EF really😀

(Melissa Marie) #333

I haven’t been abiding to the numbers at all really. Just eating to satiety. But in the event ppl get stuck I’ve seen fasting recomended, which is a huge but temporary deficit! Lol can you explain more about the new way of thinking vs the old or direct me somewhere that gives more explaination about why not to use a deficit. I’ve read that just because you can eat all you want doesn’t mean you should or that you will loose weight doing it. But I’ve read that some people can but after the initial weight comes off everything else will be slower especially if sedentary. Im assuming we all have to learn what works for us and especially as older women things are different than younger women and especially men. Just trying to learn more. Especially if my thinkin/understanding is incorrect. :slight_smile:

(Karen) #334

I love this commentary

And.

And

K

Thank you! I’ve hit a bit of a plateau, so not sure if I should be adjusting my marcros. I’ve been having a lot of cravings for chocolate lately. Didn’t have that when I first started. I’m paranoid about my calories and my fat intake. I’m trying to stick to 1240 cal/day & 95gr. fat. I guess I just need to play with my macros a bit so I feel satiated but still losing a bit.

(Nola) #336

I’m not sure anyone here is advocating low calories? I hover between 16-1700 every day and I’m consistently losing. I do the standard 20 carbs, but sometimes my protein is higher than I like it to be, but I’m never going to stress over an extra portion of something if I really want to have more of it.

The keto calculators are an invaluable tool for all of us that we should revisit once in awhile as a guideline to stay on track… maybe we ought to start pointing people toward that more often.

(Melissa Marie) #337

LCHF WOE weren’t analyzed or considered in the 2nd and 3rd articles that I saw but it is mostly agreed in a general sense that a continual deficit can decrease your metabolism (and cause other problems) which in the end impacts weight loss and can cause weight gain. And CICO does work for a percentage of the population who aren’t experiencing a host of other things that conflict with it. It boils down to lifestyle, health, and whether or not it is is sustainable for you specifically. For us I understand CICO wouldn’t work which is why we are here. An interesting thing I found was that in the example provided in the first link a deficit was used to show how things work. I think after reading what you sent and looking around a little more this was the most important statement I found that is more related to the point being made about deficit.

Why we stall

and

Why we stall

So I understand why a deficit wouldn’t be helpful for healing or sustaining in IR ppl and why it actually conflicts. Thanks for bringing all this to my attention. I am not IR (at least not detectably) so it will be interesting for me to see how things go long term. Apparently everyone stalls at some point. For now, still loosing and staying mostly satiated and not tracking calories. KCKO :slight_smile:

Hi All,
I’m late 50’s. I started Keto about a month ago. Lost only two pounds. Weight was 153. Did a keto fast for five days and lost weight quickly, 8 pounds. I’m now IF for the past two days. Today, I woke up with a terrible pain on right, mid-side of body. I’m treating for liver and possibly gallstones, with lemon water and Chanca Piedra. Anyone else experiencing the pain? I haven’t eaten yet today, because it hurts more when I’m upright. One site said to eat more often and possibly air in GI. Thoughts anyone? (Besides going to the doctor, it’s Sunday. I’ll call tomorrow.)
Thx.

(Susan) #339

Hi everyone,

I thought I would jump in and introduce myself on this thread. I’m new to the forum but not to keto. I am 52, post-menopause (surgical, 20 yrs. ago) and 5’3" short. :blush:

I’m down 70lbs from my highest recorded weight of 250lbs in Jan. 2012. I lost the first 20 or so eating “clean” low-ish carb. But in 2014 I was having some terrible problems with GERD and decided to take my carbs even lower. So, I’ve been keto since Feb. 2014.

I lost most of my weight in 2014-2015 and then my weight loss slowed way down and eventually pretty much stalled. I was nowhere near goal, but I felt good and was happy where I was, so I just decided to maintain for awhile and let my body adjust. I knew I would get back to losing more someday. However, in the latter part of 2017, I got lazy and let carb creep sneak in. I was eating too many nuts, drinking too much wine, and using a lot of artificial sweeteners. I also started finding way too many excuses to have a cheat meal. All this naughtiness caused me to gain 4lbs, and then I went off the rails a bit over the holidays and put on another 4 lbs.!

So, in January I snapped myself out of my carb stupor and recommitted myself to keto. I’m just glad I was able to get myself back on track before too much damage was done! Since then I’ve lost those 8lbs I gained, plus another pound and got to record a new low weight yesterday. I’ve seen that some of you are struggling and getting discouraged, so I thought I would share what is working for me:

Fasting: I incorporated fasting, first doing 16/8 IF and now I’m doing 24 hrs. MWF, but my “day” starts at 6:30 p.m., so I get to eat dinner every night. I can’t believe how well this is working. I’m losing 1.5 - 2 lbs a week so far. On my eating days, I’m not really counting calories, but I guess I am eating around my TDEE or maybe a tad higher. I plan to extend these 24 hr. fasts to 36 hrs. in the coming weeks.

Tracking Macros: I went back to carefully tracking macros to avoid the dreaded carb creep and over eating protein.

Sweeteners: I don’t know if AS have any effect on my insulin or BG, but I do feel that they were at least driving cravings. I am strictly limiting any AS use to meal times. This seems to be working to keep me from wanting more, more, more. I’ve also given up peanut butter as it is a huge trigger food for me.

Alcohol: I’ve had to say “so long” to my beloved wine for awhile. I will occasionally have bourbon or vodka and flavored seltzer.

I’ve learned so much from the podcast and this forum and thrilled to be here. Good luck in your journey (and it is an EPIC journey!) and KCKO!

(Karen) #340

Love the links Melissa! Just what I needed to hear right now. I’m stalled

K

How are you doing? Pain still there?

(Tracy) #342

Chicken wings are my pub night delights. As a matter of fact, I have a meeting tonight so that means pub wings! :grin::yum:

I have been having some difficulty with hunger if I let my fat fall too low, so I have been adding fat to everything. However, in the past few days I’ve noticed that I haven’t been quite as hungry, so I’m wonderimg if a little more protein and a little less fat is working better for me.

Anyway, continuing on with the ZC experiment. Feel my electrolytes are in better balance, and my BP has come down a bit as well. So, I’m feeling quite good overall. My weight is starting to come down slowly, and I’m hoping that once I lose those few extra pounds that I gained over Christmas, that I will also be able to break through my long-standing stall. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Actually, thinking of adding ADF to my ZC experiment next week. Or maybe the week after. LOL! So hard for me to voluntarily give up eating. :grin:

(Tracy) #343

Me too. Carbs I can banish no problem, but keeping protein down has been a struggle for me too. I haven’t tracked for awhile, but I was struggling to keep it below 80 back then.

(Tracy) #344

I wasn’t built for 133 either. If I’d been born in the old country, I’d have probably been a human field plough or part of the East German Olympic shot put team or something like that. :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Arlene) #345

I have fought “tooth and nail”, as my mother used to say regarding voluntarily choosing to give up eating. I have been eating this way (keto) a year now, and I have been gradually working on getting my mind to appreciate the great value of fasting.
I see posts from people who get so excited they made it 12 hours without food, and I say to myself “I do that every day without thinking, and much more.” My last meal is usually mid to late afternoon, then I don’t eat again till the same time the next day, or occasionally late morning if I’m hungry then. I realize I am fasting an average of 18 - 24 hours every day. I realize I am a successful faster after all. How did I finally wrap my mind around this? Well, I didn’t. It just happened when I decided to adopt the keto lifestyle. MOST of the time I only eat when I’m hungry, and I stop eating when I’ve had enough. Eating this way has created it’s own healthy pathway of intermittent fasting. Bottom line, just give it time. Hopefully you’re not as hard-headed as I am. :grinning:

(Joan) #346

Thanks Jo, I can’t even imagine at this point being 1500 calories. I may get to that point but right now, that would be a starvation diet for me. I’m with you and being done with being hungry all the time and fighting to not eat.
Tomorrow I am trying my first fast, I’ve done the 16 hour fast and I’m ok, I didn’t die! I’m adding a few more hours and see what happens. My son had been visiting and there was just too much food here. I’m feeling overstuffed and slow. Bleh…Wish me luck!

(Karen) #347

@joan1 - Going on a 4 day. Coffee, HWC fast. 400 cals fat so not a purist. 36 hours in. Good luck!!
Adding some lightly salted ACV water too.

K

(Joan) #348

Day 4?! Wow. It’s crazy how my whole body goes into panic mode about not eating. I’m surrounded by food, there are stores on every corner, I have money to buy food but sheesh, I feel panic about not eating for any length of time.
What is HWC?

(Karen) #349

Heavy whipping cream soooo fat in my coffee. Also using Monk fruit drops for sweet. Doesn’t spike insulin. Not a water fast, but ok for me for compliance. Will be at 48 by 8 pm. Wish me luck.

(Joan) #350

ah…HWC got it. I am trying coffee with MCT powder and butter this morning. Trying to cut out more carbs, it’s ok, I can live with this. Even with fasting I am not giving up my coffee in the morning. Not yet anyway…
Good luck, that’s awesome!

(Karen) #351

Well here I am at 60 hours in my baby ( not water alone) fast. Headache this morning. Drank lots, added salt,but need more likely. Wish me luck.