Vintage Ladies Keto Klub

(Heather Miller) #195

The numbers refer to the hours fasting and eating so 16/8 means don’t eat for 16 hours then eat all your food in an 8 hour window. OMAD means one meal a day so basically the same as 23/ 1.

Ohhh, Karen already answered! Thanks @Keto6468

(Becky) #196

Ohhh, talk to me more about fattier cheese…drooling, I had no idea?!?

I’m recently 73, and yes, I am old. But I am proud of that. I can do more than many women half my age. So there! :wink:

(Karen) #198

Yummy high fat brie!!

K

(Karen) #199

Backyard Keto Dinner

K

(Ruth E Holleran) #200

I have seen this explained as healing to the damaged nerves. It is uncomfortable but a good sign of progress! Can’t remember where I saw it but it was a nurse who explained the phenomenon.

Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

@islandzen On my first fast before the zornfast i felt like i had been punched in the stomach and my blood pressure was very high. I have since learned that electrolytes ARE SOOOO IMPORTANT!! I am on my second zornfast and i absolutely love it and all the support you get from this forum. My blood sugar and blood pressure improves each time i do the fast. I do IF during the week and look forward to the Zornfast each month. I’m currently on 92 hours

(Valerie Hughes) #202

thank you - it has stopped now.

(Tracy) #203

That’s what sabotaged me: the electrolytes. I have an answer for that now. However, I still need to convince myself that not eating is a good thing! Psychologically I still have some hurdles there. I did feel pretty amazing on the one week I did some longer IFs, so I will get there I think. Maybe I’ll try a weekend fat fast first.

(Nola) #204

85hrs… my new longest fast ever. I lost zero (which is weird and I hope to pee it all off sometime today). I felt like crap when I woke up so I ended it earlier than anticipated, I hoped to make it to Sunday morning. I don’t really feel like anything was accomplished this time at all, I’ve always felt something after my fasts before. Next month, eh? (sigh)

(Karen) #205

I did lose, but have no idea if the loss was permanent or just empty intestines. Sorry @Sleepless wish it had helped.

I feel ya. It was OK, as an experience, but I wasn’t doing a water fast. So I’ll weigh again tomorrow and see.

K

(Arlene) #206

Tracy, My brain is the biggest hurdle too. It just feels like deprivation, and I’ve been on so many depriving diets over the years, I’m just not wanting to deprive myself anymore. I realize fasting isn’t about depriving myself, but rather helping my body to heal. I will keep telling myself that until I believe it, because I’m worth it. That attitude worked for adopting the keto lifestyle. Maybe it will help with fasting.

Hi ladies! I just had a happy woosh after about a frustrating month of stall. I have a cold and slept 11 hours last night… woke up 3.5 lbs lighter! Yaaaay for sleep!

I’ll paste my intro from the newbie thread as I just joined the forum last week:

I’m early 40’s, female, and I’ve been keto for about 6 months. I’ve lost about 40 lbs since being on keto (70 total since my highest weight ever), got my A1C down from about 8 last year to 5.9 last week (I was as high as 12 at one point), have gotten off of 70 units of Lantus (insulin) and either lowered or gone off of several other medications. My cholesterol is now great. I have about another 35 pounds to lose, but my main goal was getting my blood tests in check.

I’ve been somewhat active on the r/keto community on reddit (under a different name) and have been listening to 2KD podcast for months but for some reason am only now getting around to joining this forum.

So happy to have this niche group of “ladies of a certain age” for the extra support and the feedback… our experiences are definitely different than - as @Keto6468 says - a fit young man.

(Tracy) #208

Yes, and every period of deprivation was normally followed by a binge, and that’s probably my biggest subconscious fear. I am 100% dedicated to this WOE for the rest of my life, but the fear of not eating is real, causing real anxiety. For me it’s not about feeling deprived or that I’m not worth it, I am just not at the point where I am 100% confident that I won’t resort to binge eating when the discomfort arises. My history outweighs my present reality at the moment, so I don’t trust myself, and have good evidence to support that mistrust. I am, however, confident that I’m going to get there because I need to, and I want to. Reducing my insulin as much as I can is my new central goal, and fasting is the best way to go about doing that. I’m doing really well with my 16/8 IF, dealing with the discomfort in small increments. My next step will be to try slipping in some alternate 24 hour fasts, and if that doesn’t kill me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:then I’ll be ready to join all of you multi-day fasters. :+1::grin:

(Karen) #209

Welcome keto Toronto!

I’m a little worried about my cholesterol now. My LDL is now a titch high now. Doctor says no meds yet, but veggies and exercise.

K

(Tracy) #210

Both my HDL and LDL went way up after about 4 months in. I told my doctor not to worry about it; it’ll balance out. Next blood tests this coming week. Hopefully I was right! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Renee Slaughter) #211

No worries. Keto is totally flexible. That’s why we all love it

I also have issues with thinking about fasting, no matter how small. I interpret fasts as ‘youre trying to take my food away’ and it makes me very uncomfortable. In fact, I try to not read many posts on the subject. I tell myself ‘maybe someday I will get there, but right now, I’m not ready’.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. But for now… go away. :wink:

(Karen) #213

Alexia, we’ll support you where ever you are at. :grinning:

I hear you about the wine. I am 58, post menopause (mine lasted 8 years and was special hell). Went keto and lost 30 lb in 3-1/2 years then quit wine & sparkling altogether and lost another 30 lb in 3-1/2 months. :roll_eyes:
I am out of hangover prison and intend to stay there.
I present a before and after for an illustration of what drinking (lots of) wine looks like.