Veganism as a social justice / religious movement

(Ethan) #64

Yep. It’s actually a legal issue with the ADA for those of us who eat meat as a key part of our
medical treatment of a disability (e.g., diabetes, Crohn’s disease). Moreover, the anti-meat culture creates a hostile workplace environment against a protected class (i.e., medical disability) even if accommodations are made!

(Karim Wassef) #65

If the money and energy spent on vegan proselytisation was invested instead on developing better ruminant agriculture technology and more humane but low cost techniques to kill the animals, that would be so much better for the animals.

(Khara) #66

Double :heart::heart:

(MooBoom) #67

THIS!!!

Couldn’t agree more Karim!! Unfortunately their agenda is more important to them than making a meaningful change that could actually be accomplished.

(Karim Wassef) #69

NYC’s war on meat??

(MooBoom) #70

It’s absolutely a thing!

(Jane Srygley) #71

NOT A VEGAN JUST FYI

However, it is a fact that factory farmed animals are treated cruelly. I believe in prioritizing my health but I try to source the animal products I do consume from sustainable and humanitarian sources as much as possible. I think all of us should respect each other’s choices.

Romans 14:2-6😊

(charlie3) #73

Most of the people criticizing modern agriculture know nothing about it but that doesn’t matter because they are going to lie regardless. It only works because everybody else doesn’t know any more than the liars. If you abuse farm animals they don’t produce as much. It pays to make the animals as comfortable as possible. In farming areas if the neighbors see abuses they’re on the phone to animal welfare right now. Vegans are a cult that exists to control some vulnerable people for no legitimate purpose. The controlers try to prove their legitimacy by compromising their own health.

When I’m deciding what to eat the sole criteria is what’s best for me. The only possible compromise is if my very nearest and dearest are in need. After that I want my government to have a food security stratagy so there aren’t starving people trying to take my food. After that it’s every man, or nation, for him and itself. That’s how the overwhelming majority of peoplee are going to feel when the chips are down. Vegans have zero interest in my health so they have no influence on my food decisions.

(Susan) #74

Calling us Carnism, Sexism and Racism… ummm and this woman has a PhD?? She is delusional, not impressed with her.

(Joey) #75

Treating animals poorly during their lifetime is immoral. And when slaughtering them for our essential food, ending their life should be accomplished in as painless and stress-free manner as is possible.

Beyond that, I did not design my metabolism. It’s not my fault that my body needs animal meat to serve as food for me to live a healthy life. That was not my choice. As such, I feel no moral quandary about this reality.

(April Harkness) #76

My ex bf’s brother is a well known vegan activist who lives in Canada. But i respect him.Why? He has admitted he is vegan solely for ethical reasons and it isn’t the most healthy way of eating…i was floored when he said the last part. He admitted that how i was eating made me strong and his did not. But he had such strong convictions that i respect his decision. He says its a sacrifice.
He does not put himself first. Oddly , i admire that…and kudos to him but i will put myself first over beasts in the field and fowl of the air. I will not sacrifice my health.

(Joey) #77

@April_Harkness Agreed. His is an informed moral decision. It’s hard not to fully respect that.

But respecting such a choice is different from embracing it…

There are situations in life in which we can all feel it’s appropriate to sacrifice ourselves for others (our children, parents, spouses, and others we love). But doing so for the “beasts in the field” is not something I would choose for myself (nor would I ever want my children, parents, spouse, or others I love to make that particular choice either).

Animals should be treated “humanely” - with respect and dignity - even as we end their lives to support our own. But sacrificing oneself for their sake (which is hard to clearly define anyhow) is a choice I can’t wrap myself around.

(David Cooke) #78

Plants do NOT feel pain. The ‘science’ behind this was admitted to being fraudulent, by its author. I worked with plants all my life. They have a communal spirit, but have no organs that allow them to feel pain.

(Joey) #79

Not so sure … Plants seem to feel pain whenever they enter OUR little home garden. :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #80

Nevertheless, there was a great sci-fi short story years ago about a scientist who invents a device that allows him to listen to plants and then goes crazy because they scream all the time about what we do to them. A good read, if somewhat disturbing.

And I believe it was Arthur Clarke who wrote a story in which he mentions, simply in passing, how embarrassed people are to admit that their ancestors were actually so barbaric as to take the lives of plants for their food. I know for sure that Clarke wrote a story, “Food of the Gods,” in which all food is generated from raw minerals by specially programmed machines, and what happens next . . .

“A vegetarian is someone who has never heard a carrot scream.”

(Edith) #81

I admit I am posting this without reading through the entire thread. Foi gras is from the liver of a duck or goose that has been deliberately fattened by force feeding it grains through a feeding tube. That sounds pretty horrible to me. Maybe that has something to do with California’s ban and not because it is an animal product?

(David Cooke) #82

I love foie gras. I discovered how it is produced 40 years ago and haven’t eaten any since. Equally because of the suffering caused to these birds and the mentality of people that can do this kind of thing…

(charlie3) #83

If everybody on the planet suddenly stopped eating animal products 10’s of millions would starve. Firsts there is all the seafood. Then, a very significantt percent of land used for agriculture is only productive enough to produce feed for animals. Take away those food sources today and there would be serious trouble.