Veganism as a social justice / religious movement

I was trying to think of a good thread to post this on and here seems as good as any.
This will be a bit controversial but here you go.

What about standard Pâté?

I’ve never really looked into it’s production. Nor why the vowels wear hats.

Rather than force fed grains, I think the chooks and ducks are preferentially fed grains to stimulate fatty liver. Farmer’s preference. The same way grain finished beef provides a fattier steak.

Wikipedia Pâté introduced me to a new word; forcemeat. But it doesn’t explain much about animal welfare. But I imagine a militant vegan might be able to work a crumby talon into the word forcemeat. Then I wonder if self proclaimed carnivores would band together under the banner of “Meat Force!”? Yes, it does require the exclamation mark.

I used to imagine that when people discover liver damage from over-eating carbs, like I did years back, that their liver is a big lump of abdominal Pâté.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #86

Pâté de foie gras is made from the livers of geese that have been given fatty liver disease. Normally, that has involved immobilising the goose and force-feeding it unhealthy food that it wouldn’t normally eat, which is very cruel.

There is, however, a man who claims that by treating the geese properly, you can get them to eat themselves into fatty livers, with no cruelty involved. Apparently, it’s a tricky process.

The extra fat in the liver is supposed to make the pâté extra-tasty, but there is no reason one couldn’t make pâté from normal goose livers.

Because I can never resist an opportunity to be pedantic, let me tell you that the circumflex in French is generally placed over vowels believed (rightly or wrongly) to have been originally followed by an ‘s’. In this case, pâté is cognate with the Italian pasta, hence the circumflex. It makes a difference in the sound of the ‘a’, but it is hard for foreigners to hear.

The accent over the ‘e’ is to show how to pronounce it. If you left the accent off, you would have a one-syllable French word meaning “dough” or “pastry.”

(Polly) #87

or the English paste!

(PJ) #88

Humans can make anything into bad religion.

By the way… akin to nothing {whistling innocently}… the metabolic effects of the national diet don’t just affect physical health and fat but mental health too…