Upping my game: Lard

(Pete A) #1

This month I’m considering lard. Does anyone eat this or have opinions? I’m fine with the nutritional makeup, more curious about overall pros/cons.

I’ve been raised to think lard is bad. But wrong, wrong, wrong!

(Doug) #2

Pete, the old, ingrained thoughts die hard, don’t they? I was born in 1959, so coming of age in the late 1960s and 1970s, and the “low-fat” mantra, anti-saturated fat theology, etc., still has roots in my brain.

I think lard is great - with some exceptions like where they partially hydrogenate it or add hydrogenated fats to it, to make it thicker and less likely to separate.

(Jane) #3

Well, I just bought a tub of lard last week to replace the oil in my deep fryer. Occasionally we treat ourselves to French fries - I count them out and only eat 7 - yes, I can do that now. And it is only about once a month.

But I also have okra growing in my garden and there is nothing better than fried okra the way I fix it. I do not “bread” it, which I think is gross. I dust it with flour and deep fry until the seeds are golden brown. There will be some carbs in the flour but not much as you can see most of the okra veggie, not hidden in a blanket of bread.

They are as crisp as chips. I figured using lard this year would make them even better!

(Lonnie Hedley) #4

Saw this brought up in another thread and someone posted about the difference between fully and partially from the Armour website.

When looking this up to add to the conversation I noticed they now also offer a “natural lard” where lard is the only listed ingredient. Will need to give it a try when my other stuff is used.

http://www.armourlard.com/Premium-All-Natural

(Pete A) #5

This is great.

(Doug) #6

Lonnie, so then it sounds like there are 3 types - natural (which is partially saturated), then fully-hydrogenated (to make it more solid - apparently leaner hogs give a more-solid natural lard), and then partially-hydrogenated (sounds like the worst of all worlds to me - chemically altered but without the more desired thicker consistency).

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

Yeah, I bought my package before doing any research and was happy when someone posted the information from the Armour site. Not that it was expensive, but I didn’t want to throw away something that hadn’t even been used once.

Luckily that’s the only brand I’ve actually seen so I haven’t had the chance to even encounter the partially hydrogenated junk.

(Pete A) #8

$6 at Walmart. Coming soon. :grinning:

4 pounds=hilarious!

(Lonnie Hedley) #9

I have the 16oz block. I don’t use it often, and since I don’t deep fry I expect it to actually last a couple years. BUT, when it’s finally used I’ll give the 1lb natural version a try. I can’t imagine there would be much difference in flavor especially for how little I use.

(Pete A) #10

Is it only good for frying @hedleylo?

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

Well, I think you would/could use it like any other fat. I use a small amount when I do frittatas in my 6.5 inch cast iron just to coat the pan for quick release after baking. I’ve used it to season my cast iron since I tossed the crisco.

My uses are maybe a half tablespoon at a time. If I used it to deep fry, I think I’d need the 4lb bucket.

(Katie) #12

I do not see why a well-sourced, natural lard (not the common large cheap tubs seen in the average grocery store) is any different from tallow or butter. A well-sourced lard is probably healthier than the fat on the common bacon.

(Troy) #13

Lard.
This is awesome

So what it be possible to deep fry bacon in Lard?:relieved:
Maybe use a pork rind coating?

I’m trying to think of a reason to get a deep fryer :rofl:
Inexpensive one

Ok. I’m addicted to carnival eats on the food network
Hence the deep fryer :joy:

Today, I used lard to sauté my duck hearts for dinner. A sentence I (nor anyone who knows me) would ever have imagined to come out of my mouth.

(Pete A) #15

Haha crazy, no? :grinning:

Hi everyone I just found this forum because, being new to Keto, I was curious about lard - if anything was going to be a ‘walk of faith’ it was cooking with lard. Thanks!

(Laurie) #17

Interesting thread. I’m using up a pound of lard that’s been in my fridge for a couple of years; I think I originally got it for making pie crust but never got around to it. I never even wondered whether the lard was hydrogenated. I looked the brand up online, and apparently it’s not.

I use lard for making scrambled eggs in the microwave. Eggs, lard, salsa. I used to melt the lard first and add the eggs and salsa. The eggs would stick to the bowl and be hard to wash off. Now I put the eggs and lard in first, then put chunks of lard on top. Nuke, stir, repeat, etc., as usual. This works better as far as cleanup is concerned–I guess because the lard is floating on top at first, instead of being mixed in.

Anyway, scrambled eggs made this way are very tasty and have a great texture!

Found some of the armour natural lard on the clearance rack at Walmart. I’ve never had lard before. Honestly I’m not very impressed. It has a swiney flavor I don’t care for. Not sure how I’m going to use it up.

(Jane) #19

What have you cooked with it so far? Maybe there is a beef/poultry/pork item you can fry up with it that will help mask the flavor.

(Chris) #20

“Old wisdom”