Upping my game: Lard

(Mike W.) #21

“We Cook most of our food in natural Lard.”
Yum…

(Carpe salata!) #22

Whatever happened to the Lard Information Council? That very Idea sounds hilarious now. But probably because Ancel Keys et. al. threw it under the bus.

I put a teaspoon of lard in the pan before frying a steak. I bet the Lard Information Council had a great 10c pamphlet “100 Ways To Use Lard In The Modern Family Kitchen” .

(Chris) #23

I believe it’s actually fake.

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=108;t=000833;p=0

(Chris) #24

Read the bottom comment here, this is key: http://www.pbase.com/image/81205084

(Carpe salata!) #25

Awww I would have liked to search their archives!

That comment: 14-Apr-2009 08:09
Turns out, of course, that Lard is a very healthful food, and that we were all brainwashed about how margarine and crisco were better for us that lard and butter. Crisco is hydrogenated cottonseed oil! The Okinawans, who live on pork and pork by-products, have the highest LDL cholesterol in the world, and the longest lifespans.

Nice factoid I’ll drop to my cardiologist I got sent to after my latest LDL score :confused:

(Carpe salata!) #26

Actually my mother-in-law loved to eat lard sandwiches, pan fried sheep brains, and god knows what before her daughters got her eating more ‘healthy’ food.

Who knows , she may have lived longer staying on her natural diet…

(Diane) #27

French fries I still miss. Not really a craving, but when I pass In-N-Out or Hires Big H it crosses my mind (and quickly leaves) how good they used to taste.

(Diane) #28

It is possible to deep fry bacon and it’s super yummy! My niece manages a Smith’s Marketplace deli and every once in awhile they deep fry a pound and eat it all up. Deep frying in lard should only make it better!!

It strikes me that deep fried bacon would be a FINE replacement for those fries.

(Diane) #29

Does it come in anything less than 50 lb packages??

(Diane) #30

I want this in a t-shirt.

(Mike W.) #31

I wouldn’t touch that with a 50’ stick! :nauseated_face:

(Ken) #32

Today’s a Carb Day, so I"ll be firing up the Deep Fryer filled with lard and having Wiener Schnitzel and French Fries. I’ll drown the fries with Mayo and a little ketchup.

No name lard at superstore here were I am is on sale. It contains LARD, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID.
Is bha and bht a worry?
It is a good deal and on a budget I always look to buy when deals come up

I would use it for deepfrying, frying and baking I think

(Diane) #34

It appears that for most people these are probably safe in small quantities (as used in these products) but maybe not (banned in some countries?). See the links I found below.