Ultra Disheartened - Now what?!?

I am still sorting out the trustworthy podcasts for Keto and don’t know where The Keto for Women by Shawn Mynar lands, but she states in an episode that women should not just start Keto, that it should be a slow and gradual process spanning weeks…otherwise your hormones get totally screwed up and you don’t lose weight! Whaaat?!?

When I went Keto I went in 100% overnight no cheats etc 6 weeks ago… and haven’t lost weight (reminder I have loads to lose) - is this why? Have I totally ruined everything?!? Clearly my hormones are totally f-d because I feel like bursting into tears…

Seems like complete nonsense to me. I can’t imagine how eating something like steak and broccoli would hurt women or screw up their hormones.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

You might have a tough adjustment phase, but your body WILL adjust. Hang in there and feel free to discuss what you’re eating, etc. That may get to the heart of the problem faster than “you stopped eating carbs one day and you’ll never lose weight because of it.” That’s what most folks on this forum did. Some didn’t, but many did and they’re losing weight.

(Liz Ellen) #4

Hey, we’re all different … but I jumped right in, too, and have lost pretty steadily. That said, my hormones were cray cray for the first few cycles. A girlfriend of mine quit after her first crazy period (lots of PMS, very heavy, etc.). So, I certainly think keto causes hormone tsunamis. However, my understanding is it evens out over time. I certainly have experienced a decrease in PMS but periods are still heavier and longer. I don’t think you need to worry about advice on a podcast; it will sort itself out.

Hi, i just started 7 1/2 weeks ago so im sure youll get better advice from more experienced members. I have never come across that advice about women and i jumped in 100% too. My weight loss has been slow and mostly steady. I had a nine day stretch of not losing anything which ended when i gave up most cheese and nuts and all stevia and chocolate. Bummer, no more fat bombs. Sorry for your frustration. It is really hard not to see the results you want.

I don’t for a single second believe you ruined anything. Your process may simply take time. It may be that you have healing to do or adjustments to make. The human body is not fragile and it’s very forgiving. Hang in there and try to learn what adjustments you might need.

Also echoing what @LizEllen said, my hormones have been a little wacky, crazy pms, but this month was better than last. Hoping it will even out in time

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement. I almost lost it when I heard her say that, mostly because she didn’t at all address women who had already done the all in approach! I thought about it and I don’t believe I would have succeeded to sticking with it had I slowly weaned myself from carbs…it was knowing a few die hard days would banish cravings that got me through :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Jane) #9

I never would have stuck with it if I hadn’t ripped the bandaid off and given up bread, pasta and potatoes all at once.

You didn’t ruin anything. If you want some help sorting out what you are eating then just give us some more information. Advice for someone with 100 lbs to lose is different than someone trying to lose 10. Women vs men. Age group. Etc.

And a typical daily menu is helpful also - not just what you eat, but when.

Thank you, I am:
Female
38 yrs
CW is 224 (5’3)
GW is 140-160 depending on where body is happy

Typical day for me is:
20 oz Coffee with HWC (eliminating dairy beginning tomorrow) and cashew milk 25 cal, <1 carb (between 9 am to 10 am)

11 to noon I have about 1/2 cup mixed lettuce greens with either London Broil or hamburger patty, with ranch and bacon

If I get hungry or am just not feeling meal prep I will have a serving of pork rinds with a whole mashed avocado with dill in it or cheese and bacon slices - I was also (going to stop this for a couple of weeks) having little cubes of frozen coconut oil mixed with coconut mana with a few drops of peppermint extract daily, in total daily about a tablespoon of each.

Between 4-5 pm I have either the same type of meal as earlier meal or 3-4 eggs (sometimes made into a salad with mayo/mustard/pickled), or cooked in butter 2 tbspn. And sometimes have the same coffee again after. I work after this so no food until next morning between 9-10 am.

I keep my net carbs under 20 daily. Drink water, coffee, and sometimes green tea, no sweetener in any.

Occasionally I have had an Outer Aisle cauliflower pizza crust, cream cheese, parm cheese, sour cream, riced cauliflower and/broccoli and mushrooms.

I have had a few hormone influenced days where I was hungrier than I expected to be, but otherwise have no issues with IF. Pretty sedentary still between 5k to 10k steps on average daily, just started 10 min on elliptical a couple of days a week and it was difficult.

I’m sure that you’ll get plenty if advice from those more knowledgeable than me, I’ve been doing this about same time as you.

I might be wrong, but it doesn’t seem like you’re eating much. I’d be tempted to drop the salad and eat extra protein/ fat instead. Another patty, or 2, or have the avocado and bacon with this.
Have the eggs, add bacon, ham, ect to increase protein/ fats.

Cut out snacking. That just heightens chances of insulin response, which we’re trying to avoid.

Seems counter intuitive to increase food intake to promote weight loss, but seems to work.

Also - what are your NSVs like?
Clothes feeling lose, clearer mind, more energy etc? These are all pointers to keto working, at a deeper level, to heal the body.

Try tweaking, (dropping fat bombs and dairy is a good start) and see what happens.

I’m sure that the weight will drop so don’t give up, just KCKO

(PSackmann) #12

Outside of no weight loss, how do you feel? Are you hungry, tired, cold? Satisfied, energetic? Is your clothing fitting differently, skin looking better? Except for the pork rinds, this isn’t too far off from what I eat, and I find it totally satisfying, except for the days that I’m extra hungry, in which case I add extra fat or protein. Also, are you adding any salt? I’m not an electrolyte expert, but evidently we need a lot more sodium than we think.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

This tells me you are coming at this with a healthy mindset. That will be a great help on your journey.

I don’t know the podcast you referenced, but based on how some women’s bodies react I could see easing in work better for some people. But I jumped right in with no problems. I also think I’d have given up if I eased into it. I’m much better at no pasta than a small amount of pasta.

On the days I’m hungrier than usual and it seems like it is because of lady times and not just boredom, I eat. I’ll have some berries too. They are higher carb than I tend to do, but not crazy higher. I figure my body is telling me to eat. If I don’t then I’m likely to break down and make bad choices later in the day. So have the extra bacon.

(traci simpson) #14

Might be a medical issue? Thyroid?

NSV have been control of what I am eating and definitely not struggling with any hunger issues at all. No inches lost, face looks slightly less puffy than when I started. I am getting plenty of calories on avg now (after advice on this forum), 1400-1600.

Not hungry, definitely not cold actually for some reading at night EVERY night, my torso and upper legs become very hot (like during sleep especially). I don’t add a lot of salt, but have started sprinkling a little extra on my food now. every time I add salt or take an actual magnesium supplement I put on 2lbs of water weight and hands swell. I seem to be having much less frequent muscle cramping so I think the electrolytes are stabilizing now thankfully!

I definitely have some insulin resistance issues, I have a nodule on my thyroid that’s been stable for years, despite overwhelming symptoms of thyroid issues, my labs (even the very in depth ones) are always just inside normal and the doctors I’ve seen will not treat without abnormal labs. I’ve also had high CRP and ESR without an established reason, was tested for many autoimmune disorders and lyme - everything was negative. My hopes are that whatever it is lurking in my body, Keto woe will bring healing!

If you suspect Lyme, you might consider getting retested. The tests can have up to a 60% false negative rate.

https://igenex.com/ticktalk/2018/01/12/your-lyme-disease-test-results-are-negative-but-your-symptoms-say-otherwise/

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #19

I’m also 38, female, and 5’ 2".

I started around 130, maybe 125. Those are my best guesses as I was in the middle of a bunch of stuff, medically, including being pregnant and then having a baby.

Right now I’m sitting at around 114, without trying. I’ve been doing keto for about 9 months, and been doing OMAD (one meal a day) since early January. I now weigh about 114-116. I’m trying to keep stable, or at least gain a few pounds.

How many calories are you eating? I’m eating between 1600-2000, really trying to NOT go under 1600. Could it be that you aren’t eating enough? What do your macros look like?

My personal N=1 is that I had extreme difficulty losing until my Dr started me on metformin. It decreased my insulin resistance and was like magic. I had an apt yesterday, my A1c is down to 5.2 but I still have some IR, my am blood sugars are a bit higher than they should be and my lipids are deranged, so I asked her to double my metformin. She was stunned and said that was an unusual request, so I explained my reasoning-abnormal am blood sugars, belly fat hanging out (even with weight loss) triglycerides not lower enough even after 18 months of Keto, and that studies showed metformin could help fix my triglycerides and help with LDL and my liver function. She agreed and did it. So we shall see.