Transition trouble - stomach pains/indigestion

(Matt) #1

I was 2 weeks into my Diet and started getting pains in my stomach every time I ate that would last hours to the the point where I couldn’t eat. I came off my diet and the pains slowly stopped. Any ideas?

(UsedToBeT2D) #2

What were you eating?

(Matt) #3

Something similar to this daily

Chicken breast x1
Broccoli 150g
Cauli rice 100g
Walnuts 60g
Brazil nuts 60g
Bacon strips x 2
Eggs x 2
Avocado x 1
Dark chocolate 1 piece

(Matt) #4

The pain would start around 1 hour after eating and last for about 1 hour +

(Matt) #5

It might also be worth noting I have never eaten a diet high in fat or low in carbs before

(UsedToBeT2D) #6

Perhaps one of those items is irritating you. Start by introducing them to your diet one at a time to see if you can find the trigger food.

(Matt) #7

Thanks for the advise I will give it a try. Is this something completely unheard of in Keto? I couldn’t find anything on google so I joined this forum. Do you think it could just be part of my Keto flu that I need to push past?

None of these things are very keto specific and typically in most peoples diets. Is anything on this list new to you? Also, you’re eating more than that daily right? Hopefully that was just a small example and not a days worth of eating. Not a ton of protein, nor is there a ton of fat on that list. Don’t see what would be aggravating your stomach. In any case grab a bottle of Betaine HCL and pop a pill with each meal. It’s basically stomach acid in a pill, it’s a digestive aid that’s safe for basically everybody unless you have an ulcer problem or something. It helped my bloating issues and discomfort huge! But definitely elaborate on your daily menu a little more if you can.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

If you’re actually eating 60 grams of Brazil nuts daily, that could be a problem. See this discussion:

('Jackie P') #10

Are you by any chance taking a PPI? Or any other medication that reduces stomach acid?
I took Omeprazole for years prior to starting Keto. In the beginning I had terrible problems as you describe. Then I chanced on a video, I think it was Dr Ken Berry, who said that there is a reason we have hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, and that is to digest protein and fat!
I stopped my Omeprazole and haven’t suffered since. :yum:

(Matt) #11

The food that was new to me;
Eggs
Walnuts
Brazil nuts
And avacado

I was consuming roughly 2000 calories/day in a ratio of

5% Carbs:30g
30% Protein:150g (most of the time around 120)
65% Fat:150g

My protein came from; eggs,bacon,beef,chicken and some hemp protein powder

My fat came from Brazil nuts, walnuts,coconut milk and avacado

My doctor has given me Omeprazole however he seemed quite unenthusiastic and has been wrong in the past

Thanks for the help, I will be sure to try the betaine

(Matt) #12

Thanks for the reply and Very strange that you mention it.My doctor has just perscribed me a six week course of omerprazole and said that it should cure it next time :thinking: although he was extremely unenthusiastic about the matter…
perhaps it will simply be a case of trial and error

(Matt) #13

I’m gonna cut Brazil nuts out completely for my next crack at Keto then and use pecans instead. They tasted nasty anyways! I’ll also be watching my intake of nuts apparently they aren’t so easy to digest

Thanks a lot amwassil

Yup, he was most likely wrong this time too. That stuff REDUCES stomach acid, most of us with reflux is because we don’t have ENOUGH! Taking PPIs over the years made my issues WAY worse, and that’s how I came to find out about Betaine and how Doctors consistently diagnose those issues BACKWARDS and make it worse. I’m not a Doc, but all I can tell you is that unless you swallowed that electronic pill that measures your stomach acid and he VERIFIED that being too high was the issue, he’s just guessing. Google around a little, you’ll see a ton of people with this exact same problem.

Keep in mind, if you try the Betaine, stop the Omeprazole, they’re doing totally opposite things.

(UsedToBeT2D) #15

Sometimes the gallbladder will release a lot of bile when you eat a lot of fat, causing stomach trouble if you are not accustomed to it. Try easing the fat intake up as you gradually adjust over a few weeks.
Check out this article:

I don’t have a gallbladder (courtesy of Optifast), and I take a couple of Super Enzymes (NOW FOODS) with my big greasy breakfast. It has helped me a lot.

('Jackie P') #17

That’s true but did you see what he’s eating? Not a lot of fat for a standard diet, let alone Keto.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

Rancid possibility? That could definitely make your stomach ill. And 120g of nuts is way overboard. I think 30-45g daily is more appropriate but I completely cut nuts out my first three months because they do cause some issues with weight loss for many. They tend to be snacks and eaten over time too, eat them with your meal if you do.

Is your gallbladder healthy? Have you had issues with high fat consumption before?

I think you need to ditch anything that says low fat like that mayo. The fat that is there isn’t good fat. Fat is not our enemy on KETO it’s our friend and possibly the most important thing to be selective about eating KETO. We avoid all vegetable and seed oils. Salad dressing is simple to make including mayo with keto approved oil like avocado. Good old Olive oil with an acid like lemon or wine vinegar (balsamic is sugar loaded) with some garlic powder and salt with Italian spice mix is great. You can easily make blue cheese or Ranch that’s Keto and even most Blue Cheese dressings at the store are okay as far as sugar and added oil but read the labels carefully.

I think you should also get some red meat in more than so than chicken breast which isn’t a good source of fats. Skin on thighs are much better. You have to add quite a bit of fat to balance it. I suspect that’s why you ate so much nuts trying to make your macros. Fatty Beef is king. Personally I don’t believe in monitoring macros other than carb limits and I also recommend as diverse of a rotation of foods as you can do for nutritional variety.

Learn to listen to your body about how much to eat. That’s the goal of hormonal healing, normal responses to satiety and hunger. KETO tells you how much you need to eat. You don’t want to weigh and measure everything you eat because a calculator says so, you’re body knows what it needs. If you want more or less protein on some days that’s fine. Eat plenty of fat starting out but after a few weeks start listening to how you feel. If you’re running out of energy of getting hungry between meals use more fat, if you aren’t so hungry skip a meal if you don’t need it. I don’t plan meal times or frequency any more unless the day’s schedule requires it. If I were to carefully track what I eat it’s all over the place with macros and daily caloric intake. Your pre specified macros don’t allow this natural ebb and flow of appetite.:cowboy_hat_face: