Let's Talk About Brazil Nuts 🔎

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

I’m going to kick this off with the following study. More to follow.

Selenium is usually the most immediately worrisome component of Brazil nuts, but unless you eat 50+ grams per day, you’re probably OK, but be aware:

Of more immediate concern to me is the fat composition, here’s the USDA entry. Scroll down to the fat breakdown.

Transition trouble - stomach pains/indigestion
Nuts as a snack
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Don’t know why this won’t display correctly. It looks fine in the preview window, but truncates when saved. If anyone has any ideas how to make it display correctly, please advise. It goes down to the Cholesterol entry. Thanks.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

If you’re only eating two nuts don’t you think the lipid breakdown will have little affect on the overall lipid breakdown of your fat intake? Monosaturated isn’t horrible if you get plenty of saturated fats.

If you eat beef you get plenty of selenium. When I was tracking nutrients I was always at over 200% of the RDA over time. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Who eats 2 nuts? I’m not looking at this as a selenium supplement, but as a food. 50 grams per, once or twice per week. I’m still looking for any so-called anti-nutrients.

I was eating them for food backpacking for a while because of the high calories but I did not like them all that much and just stuck with macadamias and pecans.

(Todd Allen) #6

Not me, but I typically eat only a couple brazil nuts daily by mixing them with walnuts, pecans, macadamias and others.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Brazil nuts are quite large, compared to other nuts. It’s also difficult to get the meat out of the shell. I can’t see myself having the patience to try to eat more than a couple.

Now, almonds or walnuts, on the other hand . . . !

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #8

In my reckless eating days I remember eating a 250g bag of shelled Brazil nuts in a single sitting.

I was unwell for a couple of days after that!

Funnily enough, Brazil nuts no longer really appeal…

(Joey) #9

@amwassil Thanks for sharing the research paper. We have a tupperware filled with shelled brazil nuts on our kitchen counter and grab a few every now and again. Yup, they’re high in fat - but, in moderation, make for a tasty dessert with a glass of red wine.

Good to know that we’re also doing our lipid profiles a favor. :yum:

Brazil nuts are often contaminated with aflatoxins and they’re often rancid(translucent) which can contribute to gut inflammation.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

I wonder if Dave Feldman knows about Brazil nuts. If you could eat 100 grams 1x and at any date within the next 30 days take a lipid panel and show only healthy numbers, that would be something! Selenium be damned, that would be something! I think. Maybe. Am I missing something? :thinking:

(Paulene ) #12

I’ve always eaten Brazil nuts by the handfull - not every day but at least, mays a few times a week. They tie with pecans as my fav nut. Love the texture. I’m eating fewer nuts overall now that I’m on low carb - keto.