Too much too soon?

newbies

Hi all - have decided to dip my toes into keto due to a very recent decision to sign up for a marathon.
I’ve given myself 21 weeks to train up (slightly longer than recommended, but I’ve little experience in long distance. Also, I’m a nutter). Having heard about the ‘crash’ that occurs at mile 20ish, keto seems like the obvious way to avoid such a pain.
However, I’m a little nervous about whether all of this is too much at once - should I delay on the keto (after all, getting the dreaded keto flu whilst training would be a frustrating set back), or should I just jump right in?

(Also any long distance running advice/anecdotes would be greatly appreciated) x

(Carl Keller) #2

also Google “Keto for Runners”. There’s several articles. Hope this helps.

keto flu is only in the first week so would think you would be ok. keto should be perfect for endurance activiities

Hi and welcome,

Dr Westman says most people don’t get keto flu. I think it just seems that way over the Internet … Just ensure plenty of salt. And plenty of water. Daily.

I would go on keto today.

Then do the run only if you feel up to it. Your overall health is far more important than a race (I was an avid sports person so, I know, I know … but seriously in the grand scheme of things, keto is more important.

Tim Noakes has done a lot with marathon runners (including champions…), in the end keto is better, but I’m not sure how long you’d need to adapt. We say a few weeks but that’s for keyboard jockeys like me, it takes longer for competition sports…

Avoid - sugar, wheat, rice, corn ASAP - you body will love you for it.