Time for new shoes, what do you like?

(Scott) #1

I just hit 300 miles on my HOKA Ariha’s and need to replace soon before my knees demand it first. I am a urban road runner and really like the Hoka brand but have been having some trouble with a couple of toenails turning black and falling off (yuk). I don’t think it is shoe related but there is only one way to find out. Anybody in love with their shoes out there? I do like lots of cushion too.

(Paul H) #2

Being a bigger guy I need a sturdy and comfy shoe. I love the Mizuno Wave Rider. Gotten a few pair over the years. They come wide as well if needed. Link

(Murphy Kismet) #3

Vibram Five Fingers for me. Barefoot shoes.

As long as the surface is mostly natural, ie: not industrial uber-flat, they’re awesome. They let you feel the ground as though barefoot. They’ve helped my hubby’s trench foot (recurring fungal toe infection that causes mad itching…from being in the trenches) by allowing the toes to stay separated and “breathing”, as well as his knee, hip, and spine issues.

(Scott) #4

Thanks, I will look these up at my local running shop. I may have had the ones with the see through heels in that past but they didn’t hold up as much as I had hoped.

(Scott) #5

I cannot imagine running barefoot and being 100% asphalt / concrete runner I need some cushion.

(Bunny) #6

How would they ever know your keto?

image link

(Bob M) #7

I know you think you need cushion, but do you? This guy has a bunch of reviews and links to barefoot running (and PUFAs, if you like the science against those):

I bought some trail running, barefoot shoes, which I use for weight lifting, Dreadmill, and asphalt running, though (a) I’m slow and (b) don’t run nearly as much as others.

(Murphy Kismet) #8

Our natural running/walking environment is ground, much softer than concrete. Because we are now forced to walk on uber-hard surfaces then Yes, we do need padding in our shoes, to replace to lost padding of actual ground.

(less is more, more or less) #9

Not in love, but I’ve been very happy with my New Balance sneakers. I used to buy the 99x series but leaned I can save a good deal of money by switching to the 42x series.

I developed rather severe plantars fasciitis the one time I went with another brand (Nike) and I have vowed to never do that again.

(Scott) #10

I “feel” like I do. The science behind that thought is when my shoes get to the 350 ~ 400 mile range my knees start to get sore. The shoe manufacturers seem to recommend a lower mileage to replace them, I wonder why? I am not a fast runner at about 12 minutes a mile. I try to have a very gentle low impact gait. I imagine that I am running on eggs and trying not to break them.

(Scott) #11

Sometimes it is best to stick with what works. It seems like as soon as I find “the shoe” I like they discontinue it and I have to start looking again. Knowing how much use I get and my fear of getting hurt I don’t mind spending between $100 and $170 if I can feel the quality in them.

(Jeb Bower) #12

Find a local running store. If it’s a good one, they’ll let you try on a bunch of different shoes and help pick the best ones.

First real running shoes were Brooks Ghosts and then their Pureflows. I tried some Hoka Bondi’s but they just didn’t work for me. I’ve currently got a pair of Hoka Cliftons in my closet for “when I start running again”.

I was in Afghanistan when I started running so I just used what I had, Nike Air Maxxes, because I didn’t know any better. When I got home and went to the running store for the first time (wearing my Nikes) the guy asked me what I was currently running in and I told him I was wearing them. He laughed a bit and said, “no really, what are you running in now?”

(Scott) #13

I am very religious about tracking my miles on my shoes via my Runtastic app. I don’t ever wear my running shoes unless I am running. I save my old ones for walking cutting grass etc. I just hate the chore of trying on shoes and guessing how they might feel after six miles in them. Once I find one I like I just keep buying until they discontinue it.

(Jeb Bower) #14

I only wore them for running. I only wore them to the store so they could see how the tread might be wearing in any particular pattern. He was laughing because he couldn’t believe I actually used them for running. For all their advertising dollars, a lot of Nike shoes are actually garbage.

(Scott) #15

Going from big box to a running store was a game changer. Uh, that was after the first store “forgot” to mention that my running shoe should be a size larger than my regular size. I figured this out after I lost 8 toenails and found a new running store.

(Julie ) #16

I would recommend getting fitted at a running store. Like stated above your running shoes should be a about size larger then your normal shoes. There are a lot of good brands of shoes out there and I have several I really enjoy wearing. One final item don’t shy away from the inserts they often sell to put in the shoes as they provide more support than the foam inserts that come with the shoes.

(Scott) #17

I always have since I started running. To me this is a must but my first attempt failed when let me buy the same size as my regular shoes. They really should have cought this.

I have been having trouble with my Hokas but it may not be the shoes fault. I feel my toes wanting to sort of curl under and keep losing the toenails on my toe next to my little toe. I am hoping the change in shoe will reveal if it is my form or the shoe. Anyway the knees are starting to tell me its time to replace them.

(Julie ) #18

Hello Scott,

Understand, on the need for new shoes. I have not tried Hokas but understand they are really nice shoes from several friends. I tend to use Mizuno, Saucony, Asics and Nike. Good luck on finding what feels best.

(Scott) #19

This is the second Mizuno recommendation so I will need to get a pair on to try out. Thanks

Don’t know whether you’ve sorted your shoes but I went to saucony guides after plantar fasciitis. I seem to spend my life worrying about footwear. I chose the Guides precisely because they had a lower heel to toe drop. I also do have some vivo barefoot which I have run up to 10 miles in and I try to walk around the house barefoot as much as possible. The only time I’ve had black toenails though was on an ultra race with a lot of downhill running in it.