Thought about going carnivore but

(Robert C) #10

Per @CarlKeller

True grass fed and grass finished beef is one quality point but, it might not be the most important.

There’s a $20 grass fed grass finished steak on the shelf and similar sized $4 and $7 steaks on the shelf - which do you pick? If you are totally price sensitive, the choice is obvious (and that is all of the thought some people put into this decision).

The question is, what are you getting to move from $4 to $7? If the $7 steak is from a reputable company and claims to be antibiotic and growth hormone free - it might be worth the upgrade if you suspect the $4 steak might have those along for the ride.

But, if money is an issue - the ride up from $7 to $20 might be too long of a trip. The two main points there are supporting the idustrial creation of meat and a different fat profile (some say that difference is small but, of course, even small differences done daily might have larger than expected effects).

So, if going Carnivore, you might do a little research about what you can get in your area at different price levels. Even if you stick just with Keto - your time won’t be wasted because you’ll probably have a little more cash to spread around on the better meats.

(Brent) #11

Ya its just a lot of the pundits were pushing grass feed beef and little to no chicken/pork.

(Brent) #12

Thanks Carl. Not be so dogmatic in my view. I will be closer to carnivor (& get less carbs in the end i’m sure). Some of these people i was researching were so hard core they were actually eating raw liver :face_vomiting:

(Brent) #13

Ya definitely. I will definitely eat some grass feed beef but i can’t spend $50 a day :slight_smile:

(hottie turned hag) #14

@ncage Oh there are SO MANY ways to do this (be carnivore) though some shall get in a snit about terminology. I ignore that faction.

I went carnivore-ish recently to break a stall; dropped all cheese and veg. IT WORKED! :grinning:

I am a tightwad and not about to buy “grass fed” or coddled in cotton wool or whatev, beef. Hecknaw.
I buy meat on sale only; sirloin, ribeye, whatever is on sale. I eat sausage, pepperoni, salami, salmon, tuna (you hate fish though), BACON (I feel so basic saying that), eggs, pork roast, ground beef… in large quantities. I am (last weigh in, weeks ago) 116lb headed to 110. Not weighing again til month’s end but have visible changes so I am losing.

I heavily season! Yes there are purists and I get that mentality as I am a purist in some areas for sure. I get it. But I promise you, if you do a “looser” version you shall benefit. I have no doubt.

Here’s some random cute and meat :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :bacon::cut_of_meat::poultry_leg: to encourage you!

(Carl Keller) #15

I don’t get caught up in the labeling. I am an omnivore with a preference for meat. All my cravings begin and end with meat but I also enjoy vegetables from time to time. I suggest you do whatever makes you feel best.

It’s not as abnormal as you would think. Eating raw meat and organs is a part of some people’s culture. These inuit kids look just as pleased as any kid in our culture might look when eating a pepperoni pizza… and are probably much healthier.

*Images from @atomicspacebunny’s post:

(Elizabeth ) #16

I prefer beef, I eat what’s on sale and what I can afford

(hottie turned hag) #17

@Elizedge Pithy and perfect :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(mole person) #18

I think @amber pointed out that this is not a picture of Inuit kids but of some Northern European population, I can’t remember the name of the people though.

It makes sense, the hair color is completely wrong for Inuit.

(Robert C) #19

Again, don’t let price be the single determinant. Results in the multi-month to year timeframe may be nice but think about exactly what is going in on the decade timeframe.

Plenty of people will say drop to lowest price but, a little research will show lots of preservatives in some processed meats and antibiotics/hormones in the cheapest “fresh” meats on the shelves.

Going just a step above those two is probably a 90% win (with the last grass fed grass finished bit not worth the huge final price jump for most).

(Carl Keller) #20

I thought that too but with no corner of the earth without outside genes influencing the culture, I overlooked it. And I believed these kids were Inuit due to several with their asian eyes and oval faces. However, european does sound plausible if it’s eastern europe.

(mole person) #21

Found it. This is the population.

(Bunny) #22

They are a mixture of Khant (dark skin; Mongolian) and Komi (white skin); they are indeed Inuit children and a clan of Inuit but mostly live in the Russian Polar Urals.

Have a peek:

(Carl Keller) #23

The children in the photo above don’t appear related to Nenets. At least when looking at the photos in the article. There were no fair haired or fair skinned Nenets.

As fascinating as this mystery is, I fear we are straying off topic.

(Karim Wassef) #24

Yay! Two groups of bloody faced kids! :smile:

(mole person) #25

I meant this was the the population that Amber had said the picture was of. I’d been trying to remember. I don’t know for certain myself but assume she had a reason for her belief on the matter.

(mole person) #26

Mystery solved. The last series of pictures.

(Bunny) #27

“…When meat can’t be stored, during summer months, it makes more sense to fish for subsistence rather than to slaughter, at these times the main diet becomes fish, both raw and cooked. …”

Wanted to freeze frame the last paragraph on that link?

The diet is not always land animal meat!

I imagine they did cook land meat also but eating it raw was probably very nutritious (gladulars & organs) and they knew that in ancient time, I think they were very aware of the protomorphogens (DNA parts) in eating meat raw discussed in books by Dr. Royal Lee before the discovery of DNA?

(mole person) #28

I’ve heard this very thing on a few podcasts now. Cooking apparently reduces both the digestibility and nutritional value of meat. I was surprised to hear this as I’d believed previously that cooking aided meat’s digestibility.

I doubt I’ll soon be on the raw kick some carnivores are doing now but after all the changes I’ve made in the last few years I’ll never say never again.

(Bunny) #29

If your eating fermented seal flipper, probably digests a lot better i.e. digest-ability. Collagen rich whale skin could explain why they did not have a leaky gut i.e. auto-immunity and histamine tolerance issues and no cancer?