They eat SO much and SOOOOO OFTEN!

(Todd Batitis) #41

She wasn’t a surgeon but an ARPN who had been in that sphere including the surgical part of it) for around 30 years. That her program for me was the standard LCHP approach that had me eating 6 times a day, small meals other than one larger dinner with the reasoning that it only spikes my insulin in smaller amounts in timing with the pulses rather than large amounts tells me, in hindsight, all I needed to know about where she was at then.

I was making decent progress on the 2 follow up visits I had with her but of course I was. I went from eating 8000-15000 calories, probably 600g-1000g of carbs per day and zero activity to limiting my calories to 2200 and my carbs to 85g and walking 1-4 miles per day through the neighborhood. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do that math for success at the beginning on that plan. It is the sustainability that is the issue not to mention the health benefit and longevity difference.

And it wasn’t even as if keto was something she wasn’t familiar with at the time. At one of my last visits she said, “It is crazy. You know, I have another patient that I put on the same plan you are on and it just wasn’t working. We switched her from high protein to high fat and the weight just started coming off.”

That seemed crazy to me at the time, like this woman must have a really weird metabolism if she is eating a lot of fat but losing fat but you know what? I am just a normal human being without decades in the bariatric and nutrition arena. She should have known exactly WHY it worked for this woman. It wasn’t that she had some mutant gene or something… it is biology and physiology.

When my doctor recently praised me for the success I have had and admitted that I was way out of his comfort zone and knowledge base with regards to the IF, Fasting and deeper intricacies of the ketogenic way of eating, he recommended I talk with one of their dieticians. I told him that if they are part of the Weight Loss & Bariatric Clinic on the 3rd floor I will have to pass as I don’t have a lot of faith in them at this point.

I am happy to help him learn in an effort to help him help his patients more because he wants to keep learning more and more. I am even looking forward to sharing what comes out of my upcoming appointment with Dr. Naiman regarding my cholesterol but I am not looking to fight the entire establishment of dieticians and nutritionists who still think that the answer to everything is eat less, exercise more and avoid fat.

I think I grew up on the opposite end of the consumption spectrum. My parents were staunchly of the ‘eat to live, not live to eat’-camp. We began fasting (for spiritual discipline) at about 13. When I left home and began working, I couldn’t believe how much focus was placed on food. I know people who talk about what they’re going to have for lunch during breakfast!
I live in the South where food is synonymous with ALL things social. Wherever I tried to participate, I would get sick. I hate feeling full or stuffed especially during social events or activities, but I would watch with a mixture of horror and awe as others cycled food through their bodies all day. It really began to disgust me…
Inevitably, I came to realize that I have a dysfunctional relationship (eating very little for days, then binging) and how my upbringing contributed to it, but the culture of overeating, down here, made it almost impossible to strike a balance. I had to limit ‘get-togethers’ not only because of temptations (carb addiction), but the social tension created by having to repeatedly turn down offers of food (a slight of their hospitality). But fortunately after many awkward conversations (and learning not to turn my nose up at huge spreads of carcass at barbeques…lol), most people I know have come to accept my ingestive sensibilities… lol

(Jane) #43

I didn’t skip meals like you did but I definitely never overate and was eating literally half what my husband ate and weighed more than him. And was more active than him!

But I was still ignorant of insulin responses and eating lots of savory carbs and low-fat foods.

I always figured my metabolism was crap but after listening to Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat” it wasn’t my metabolism that made me gain weight. I gained weight because my insulin was high and that slowed my metabolism.

Once I started eating low carb/keto I started to lose weight - even adding butter to my coffee! I had tracked my calories from the year before keto through a company-sponsored weight-loss program (LFHC) and after adding fats to my diet (started LCLF) I was eating more calories but losing weight. But no snacking, in ketosis, low insulin - body could unlock fat stores and use them. Energy went up. Metabolism up.

:+1: … Exactly… Yeah, that was my point as well, that just bad eating habits itself could cause this. Not necessarily overeating per se. Yes, this is not good, but not eating right, can provide the same results. :slight_smile: