They eat SO much and SOOOOO OFTEN!

(Todd Batitis) #1

In the past I was that guy and I get it. Eating CONSTANTLY and crap. 8,000-15,000 calories a day of cookies and cake and sandwiches and fries and all that junk. CONSTANTLY eating every couple hours.

Now I am doing keto and 20:4 IF and it seems like these people I work with are ALWAYS eating and OMG it is a crisis if they don’t. It is crazy. I get to work and one guy is eating a big bowl of rice with some meat and veggies. Two hours later he has another one with noodles and chicken and veggies. Two hours later he is eating 6 baby bananas and a regular one. Then cookies and cake. Then half a pizza.

I sit back and just think “Holy crap that is what I used to look like. Constantly stuffing my face.”

Doing IF… that is just SO foreign to me now. I just want to say, “Seriously, do you REALLY think you need to eat THAT often? Let alone THAT much.”

It just blows my mind now that my eyes are open. :slight_smile:

(Heather Meyer) #2

Aye… yes… i feel the same way. 5 days a week i practice 20:4 or 24:1 and i have observed that my co-workers are eating constantly. My family is worse… they will eat breakfast and then eat lunch an hour later…

Maybe its metabolic derrangement or maybe blood sugar problems no?

That’s how it is with my vegetarian coworker, to the point where my other (Keto) coworker and I give him a good ribbing for it. He has to eat every two to three hours.

(Cindy) #4

With the way they’re eating, yeah, they probably DO feel like they have to eat that much and that often. Those sugar highs and lows can be brutal.

(Laurie) #5

Yes, me too. Not only did I eat junk and carbs, but I also ate way more meat, eggs, and cheese than I do now. So any arguments about keto being more expensive (or “too much meat”) are invalid.

(Jill F.) #6

I used to be an all day grazer! I ate at least 6x a day and poured a lot of energy into I have to have lunch or I will die! Lol Today I didnt eat “lunch” until 2 PM and it was beef jerky and cubes of cheese. I probably could have skipped it and just had dinner truthfully. Funny how keto changes things!

My mother still gets worried if I say I’m not taking anything in to work to eat, because I’m fasting, she thinks you will drop down dead if you don’t eat something during a shift.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #8

Yeah while I IF, when I’'m eating I still eat a lot and more often than I’d like. However, eating is never an emergency. I’m not even sure I was ever like that, but it fascinates me how most people need fuel injections urgently and often, and if they don’t get it it’s like “omg I’m staaaaarving!” If I decided to, I could just not eat for 24 hours and it’d be no big deal, so this carb-fueled behaviour is so foreign to me now.

(Ken) #9

IMO, the constant eating for carb based folks is that once you have detrimental adaptations like insulin and leptin resistance, you’re really eating to feed your glucose levels. Your body is always trying to keep glycogen full, as if blood glucose drops your body will want to start secreting glucagon to enable glycogenolysis.

Since your body want to maintain and add more fat it starts sending those little energy balance messages out like in hypoglycemia.

It worked fairly well until modern times, as your body always considers every meal to be your last one for a while and trys to make the most of it.

(GINA ) #10

Once we were having a special luncheon at work at 1:30. That in itself raised some concerns, but it is a school and that’s when the kids went home so the whole staff could eat together.

There was a mix-up with the delivery and lunch didn’t arrive until a little after 2:00. I couldn’t believe the ‘hangry’ on display. People pacing, looking out the window and barking at the school secretary like she could make the delivery man drive faster.

(Laurie) #11

Yes, isn’t it great?

This is my 15 year old son. Granted he’s a growing boy and still has a good metabolism, but jeez he puts it away. Half hour after I feed him he’s back in the fridge ‘starving’ again.

Luckily he loves his veges and salad and he’s consciously making an effort to cut down on sugars and nine times out of ten, eats healthily, but the fact that I weigh less than him now is starting to worry me a little bit.

(Carl Keller) #13

We don’t really notice how absurd the herd behavior is… until we leave the herd.

What catches my eye is how bloated everyone looks, water weight has a certain jiggle to it, and that puffiness around the face.

I’m seeing the other side of the carb coin, tiny portions: 1 oz of chicken, 1 oz of yogurt, tiny fractions of a meal. Semi-starvation but as we know - all to no avail while insulin keeps the fat storage door open.

(Ken) #15

Hmmmm. Not quite. The fat storage door is closed and locked unless glycogen levels are full. No matter how hard insulin knocks. Once levels are full, the door flys open and the Fat Party begins.

(Cindy) #16

I think maybe @Alex99 meant it in the other direction. As in, as long as insulin is high, carbs are being sent TO the fat storage. But yes, the insulin locks it from the other side :wink: so none of the fat goes OUT.

It looks to me like Ken is saying that you can’t store fat (even with high insulin) until you’ve topped off your glycogen supplies. This makes sense to me. When it gets sugar, the first place your body stores it is in the muscles so it can be used for local fuel (I think), and only when glycogen is full will it start to store fat.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #18

I see it a lot especially in my own family. Every few hours like clock work someone’s in the fridge foraging or eating or complaining about being hungry. It feels great to not be under that control anymore.

(Edith) #19

I had some insight the other day while I was watching our pet rabbit. Now, I will admit his breed is usually raised for meat so this observation may having something to do with that, but the rabbit is ALWAYS hungry. He would eat every minute of every day if we could keep up with putting food in his cage. Every time we give him food, it’s like he hasn’t eaten since the day before even though it had been less than an hour.

It seems all herbivorous animals eat all day long. I’m wondering if it is the same for humans if our carbohydrate intakes goes above a certain threshold? Maybe if we eat more than a certain percentage of our calories as carbs, we graze all day long like all the other herbivores.

Thanks Cindy, oops, yes I was extremely tired, what I wrote is just a poorly constructed sentence. But you read it right : -)

I just meant the obvious, they starve themselves, but manage to get enough carbs to drive insulin high enough to stay out of ketosis and still end up storing some fat. A pity.

They have a tiny piece of chicken with a bunch of “healthy” potatoes. Whereas I’ll have 4 times the chicken with an avocado and a decent chunk of cheese, eat to satiety, burning fat. Keto wins.