The Sewer's Thread (get it?)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Apparently, there are some ketoers out there who know their zig-zag stitch from their bobbin.

Let’s all meet at the Jo-Ann Fabrics Red Tag shelves after work. I’ll be the one fondling microsuedes.

Keto Women - Boobs and Butt Shrinking

So (sew :wink:) I have a half a dozen skirt patterns and fabrics itching to be cut, but I’m waiting until I lose another inch and a quarter on my hips. I wish I could stop buying patterns and fabric. Too many would-be garments, not enough time.

(Sophie) #3

OK, I’ll admit it…I’m a Linen Whore. I can’t help myself! I’ve made several pillowcases but wish I had the fundage to have king sized sheets (without a flat felled seam down the middle)! I’m still trying to resource that one. And as much as I adore linen, this is the year I finally jumped into knits. I really have no idea why I was so intimidated because they are so forgiving, especially when your body is changing.

Even with the average king size, it’s like you have to add an extra 6 inches on each side so the darn thing will stay tucked in. I’ve thought about buying a sacrificial twin size flat sheet to broaden the king flat.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

The struggle is real. Damned Jo-Ann coupons, they call to me.

How big is your fabric stash? I have a big plastic bin for the Scraps That Can Still Turn Into Something and a big plastic bin for the Yards of Cool Stuff I Will Someday Get Around to Making Into a Kimono, not to mention several bags of ends and trimmings that can be stuffed into basic padded quilts for outdoor sitting.

Finally, there’s the Sock Bag. When the Sock Bag fills up with all the cotton athletic socks that finally bit the dust, they will be cut into strips and made into hand-knit rag rugs.

(Sophie) #6

I’ve considered that too. I just haven’t decided what is worse, the pain in the ass of doing it or just paying out the nose for one already to go. But this is what I love about people that sew, they are always devising ways around a problem! :+1:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

We should start a support group. The first aisle I aim for whenever I walk into ANY fabric store is the linen and linen-like stuff. Microsuedes run a close second.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

After years of Googling ways to make a duvet cover without the goddamned seam down the middle, I finally broke down and bought a pure white 600 count cotton duvet cover from Bed Bath and Beyond. If you attack the clearance shelves with one of their giant coupons, you can have a very satisfying day.

(Sophie) #9

Who needs support?! I just want to revel in my addiction!!! I love going into my fabric closet and feelin up all my pretties and let my imagination run wild. At least it “kinda” keeps me outta trouble.

And I worked for Jo-Ann’s for about 6mos a couple of yrs ago. It was a real blast but the hours where screwy and I had to leave because of my dust allergies making my life miserable. I may have been reacting to the sizing on the material too. :disappointed_relieved:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

I actually time my fabric runs so that I can go straight home and hose off all the lint and fabric dust. Either my face is magnetic, or…

We have another well-known store here called Mill End but the name is spoken in hushed tones with frowns. It’s not the most high-end stuff in town but it’s pricey, anyway, and the staff have this whole sewing-needle-up-their-butt attitude where your mere presence is obviously interfering with the course of their day. How dare you. Also, the purchaser is a redhead and everything–and I do mean everything–has a yellow undertone to it so that their selection only suits Springs and Falls on the color wheel. (angry muttering)

The upside being that their decorator section is to die for. I made an oversized winter kimono jacket out of heavy slate blue-grey decorator fabric that so many people have offered to purchase off my back that I briefly considered going into business. But I’d make a lousy sweat shop employee.

(Regina M.) #11

This is my quandary. When to start? I’ve been collecting patterns and made a couple of muslins, but it is so hard. Every time I think of cutting into my nice fabric, I recoil. I want to lose at least 30 more pounds before I make something with fabric that costs more than $3/yard. Also, my personal style hasn’t really developed since 1994. I don’t really know what I want to look like.

I get all my fabric here https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170922075902&SearchText=+fabric

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

There should be a clinical name for this dread, it’s so prevalent. You are not alone, my dear.

What I did was to start with the easy stuff to sort of get my hand in, so to speak. Pillows, drapes, scarves, ponchos, altering and adding to shirts and pants. Fleece hats and mittens are fun as hell.

One of my first projects was to add floral decorator fabric inserts into the side seams of jeans to turn them into flared bell-bottoms. Again with the people walking up and asking me where I got them.

To reduce anxiety, I recommend coming at some old t-shirts or button-downs with a scissors and playing around with some transformations. You’ll get a feel for your preferred fit as you experiment and if it goes to hell you can turn it into a shopping bag.

Go ahead and make a simple skirt today. Like Peachy said, you can always take it in.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

I wish I could do that but I must. Fondle. The fabric.

Also, I’m so picky about exact color that my closet is arranged in order like a Pantone paint chart. I don’t trust the internet, pixels are filthy little liars when it comes to browns.

(Sophie) #15

This very thing has curtailed so my of my projects it’s not even funny. What got me past it was giving myself permission to fuck it up, and I mean Royally! I can always get more fabric (or already have more stashed in the closet), I can still use the screw up on another project or maybe I can find a different type/weight/design of fabric that would actually do better than what I originally planned. Striving to be perfect always stopped me in my tracks and it’s hard to get out of but once you do, the fabric store is your playground and sewing is a Blast! Plus it helps you to know your own body size wise and that’s a good thing.

I’ll share my Linen dealer which I covet… http://www.fabrics-store.com/ Everyday is something new on sale (email alerts) and they have a handy points system which you can use for discounts. Their shipping reasonable too not to mention all the yummy linen. I have made numerous purchases over the years.

And here is one of my fav patterns peeps… https://www.colettepatterns.com/ I just finished my second top pattern from them and they are spot on for my curvaceousness.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #16

Unfortunately, I am gifted with the special ability to covet the one fabric of which they only have two yards left and will never have again. I have been bit in the ass more than once unfurling a bolt only to find that some nob wrapped two short pieces together to make it look like there’s a lot more. They do this with linens quite a bit. Grrr.

On the other hand, it’s forced me to get extremely creative with my designs. I’ve only worked from a pattern once, and I still had to make my own version (one size fits all, my ass!) FYI, the paper Amazon packs inside deliveries unfolds into nice long lengths.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

Holy crap, tailoring! (puts fingers together in the sign of a cross and backs away, hissing)

That’s waaay too much thinking. Besides, there must be folds and folds of fabric flowing and flapping around this Queen of Wands before she can maneuver her way through a conversation. Speaking is performance art for me, I burn more calories discussing the weather than a Doberman at a dog park.

That’s why I got into sewing in the first place. Mail order clothing magazines depressed the shit outta me. If it was the right color, they didn’t have it in my size. If they had it in my size, it only fit in one spot. If I liked the fit and color, I needed to sell a kidney to afford it.

Hellooooo, Jo-Ann Fabrics!

My daughters are requesting hand sewn Halloween costumes. I am a very rudimentary sewer so I’m excited to have a community to ask questions when I get stuck. BTW, you girls are hilarious.

(Liz ) #19

I’m a quilter! Can I still play with y’all?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Grab some batting and pull up a chair!