The scale!

newbies

(Terri) #1

Omg!! I know that we shouldn’t be worrying about the scale so much, because good things could be going on inside of us, and our clothes starting to fit looser… But holy God the emotional rollercoaster! You weigh yourself one day and you’re down three pounds you weigh yourself the next day and you’re up 1.5!!! My biggest drop is when my carb count was at 19 for the day, I tried to keep it below 25. I think yesterday I reached 30. Is anybody else on the same emotional rollercoaster Just because of the damn number :slight_smile::roll_eyes:

I usually don’t weigh much until I get close to dropping into a new number (ex. 250s into 240s), and last week was one of those days. I was at 252 and was coming off an alternate day fast and weighed 251 that morning. I was at 248 to the next morning, 245 the morning after and 250 the next one. I’ve not weighed since and probably won’t for a couple of weeks. My clothes fit better and I feel better. Its a marathon not a Sprint. The scale has too many variables to weigh all the time…

(Terri) #3

Sometimes you just need to hear this so that you don’t stress yourself out

Thank you

Terri

Yes. Mine is so very very slow. I find I have to be really desciplined on keto. Like I really try hard to keep my carbs below 20 and my proteins around 35%. But still my weight loss is very slow. Now 4.5 kilos in 2 months. It could be because of my sweet tooth. Now and then I will have something with sweetener. Maybe that elicits an insulin reaction. But its OK- I can live like this. You learn to be patient.

(Troy Mitchell) #5

I weigh once a week for official logging. It is on a Sunday right after I get up and use the bathroom. I may do an unofficial weigh during the week if my clothes feel looser. Daily weighing will drive you crazy.

(Terri) #6

True…I find it keeps me accountable though

Terri

(Laura Victor) #7

I hear you, I’ve been up, up, up for 3 weeks in a row. And yesterday, down 6 pounds in a week – according to the scale anyway. I do feel much smaller, was bloated at the start of the week, so I’m sure at least 4 lbs of it was bloat. I’m like the poster child for water weight. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Windmill Tilter) #8

I find a measuring tape a lot more useful than the scale. It takes about the same amount of time, but it gives me a lot more information. The scale can’t tell whether it’s measuring water, muscle, or fat, but a measuring tape can.

Try measuring waist and booty once per week for a little while. It might be less exasperating!

(Terri) #9

Thk uuuu​:slight_smile::ok_hand:

Terri

(Marianne) #10

Other than getting a starting weight, I don’t weigh myself except when I go to the doctor, for this very reason. That’s probably every three months. It is one of the best things I have done for myself. The number is meaningless. Keto is my way of eating now and I plan on staying on it, so what does it matter? I will know I am at goal weight when I get there, not by some number. The scale can mess with your head, whether the number is good or bad. I just hate it. From the get-go, I actually don’t want to weigh and wouldn’t dream of weighing myself at home, that’s how strongly I feel about it. It’s okay if you give yourself permission not to.

('Jackie P') #11

I agree, clothes and the tape measure are far more accurate tools. I lost 2 dress sizes without losing an ounce!:blush:

(mole person) #12

I weigh daily and it helps me a lot, even in maintenance. For me a two pound change can signify anything from a bit more inflammation to a bit more hydration. But if my scale gets up around 110lbs (a four lb increase over current maintenance) then I know I need to tighten something up. It isn’t even necessarily fat gain, sometimes I’m just eating something that is causing some chronic inflammation.

If my diet is just beef and beef fat that gain of four pounds plus will literally never happen. Usually, I just pull back to this diet strictly until I get back to my maintenance weight.

(Terri) #13

How???

Terri

(Scott) #14

I weigh daily at the same time and the scale logs the number for me. It is just data points. I was away skiing for the last five days and put on four pounds but lost 2% body fat. I am not worried. Between going from sea level to 12000 feet, flying, lots of physical exercise, booze and eating out I expected worse. I bet I get those 4 pounds off by Friday.

('Jackie P') #15

Well, apparently as your body heals it starts to recomposite! Building muscle and increasing bone density! Who knew we were so brilliant!

(Natasha) #16

I feel your pain!

Part of my self-prescribed recovery plan is that I only weigh once a month!

(Susan) #17

I wish I had that will power to do that, I try to only weigh once a week -

my designated day is Sunday around noon before I eat or drink anything, but I end up weighing a few more times during the week --not daily though anymore, --it triggers me too much!

The number has very little effect on me, I am just curious. But as the number is always almost the same since ages (even when I lost fat, it was super slow and I can’t gain fat even remotely as fast), I rarely use the scale. When I am serious and track everything, I use it every day (unless I forget or I am lazy to climb the stairs again when I dress. if there is a good chance to see a different number, I do it), sometimes twice though that’s not informative but why not? My SO does it too. But it’s usually once a day, after I wake up, pee, drink and undress (no way I wait with drinking but it matters nothing, the scale isn’t nearly as precise and I round the number anyway). Once a week doesn’t sound good, even my bodyweight may fluctuate and I want to be there when it miraculously goes down. I need to wait very many days for a single change in my best times. It’s perfectly fine to see the same number for 2 weeks (or an occasional bigger one) when I know I lose fat (it’s easy to make an educated guess in my case). But it’s nice to see when it really goes down as it should.

I never mastered the art of using the measure tape but my not loose clothes (usually my pants) help :slight_smile: So I notice if I lose or gain a bit. I probably wouldn’t miss my scale if it would go wrong. I definitely wouldn’t waste money to buy another. I would weigh myself at a relative once a month or not at all. Tracking and my clothes would be enough to see if I am on the right way. I don’t need to take muscles into consideration as I don’t gain or lose much for sure.

(Paulene ) #19

Likewise @Momof5 - I weigh just once a week on a Saturday morning. But this is not really by choice. I work away from home Mon-Fri so only have access to my scales on the weekend. If I’m home during the week, I just can’t help jumping on the scales more often.
I do find that I get really disappointed if the scales have not dropped on my weekly weigh-in. I then have to wait a whole week to see if my change strategies are working.
I do wonder if more regular weighing might help me realign my eating, or if weighting more frequently is a pointless exercise.

(Susan) #20

I often stay the same for a month or longer, but doing a 72+ hour fast (that I do once a month on the Zornfast) usually helps -last one was 91 hours and I dropped 3 pounds 2 days later so was happy =).