The scale!

newbies

(Paulene ) #21

I’m attempting my first fast right now. :grimacing: I think I should have done it much earlier when I had no appetite. 4 months in and I’m finding my appetite is coming back, so the idea of not eating for a few days is a challenge. It’s also the routine and habit of eating that I need to beat.
If fasting makes my keto rash worse I’ll be most upset.

(Susan) #22

IF%20Schedule%20-%20Copy

I do this – and then the Zornfast for 72+ hours once a month --I have a lot to lose and it doesn’t if I don’t do this, so I do it, haha.

(Paulene ) #23

So you only eat Tues, Thurs & Sun? And the scales stay the same for a month!?! [Paulene swoons and passes out]

Yeah, I totally would expect fat loss at a decent pace, even from myself and I weigh around 11 stones since ages. I like fasting but I like eating (very nearly) every day too. I couldn’t even try to do what Susan does since long, I secretly admire her :smiley: I guess she has motivation, we are different anyway but still, few people do this much…
I will attempt to do a 72 hour fast when I do ZornFast this month, if it doesn’t make the number smaller (along with several pretty good eating days), I will worry. The 48 hour one did nothing, unsurprisingly.
But I will be content anyway, 72 hour is really something extraordinary to me… But longer fasts (I mean, over 26 hours, I do such ones on OMAD) every week, I am so not there (yet?)

I changed from OMAD to a couple of alternate day water/salt only fasts during the week and can tell a big difference. Was kind of surprised.

(Paulene ) #26

What sort difference have you noticed, @Bobt ?
I find OMAD really easy but sometimes have an early and light dinner just to mix things up a bit.
(although tonight, after 24hrs fasting, I was really tempted stop in at a Lebanese restaurant I passed…until I realised it’s vegetarian - nothing against vegetarian, it’s just hard to get low carb, high fat in a vege restaurant.)
PS. The reason I loved keto so much in the first few months is because I lost all my cravings (the desire to eat in general really) - it was great! I have just about zero self-control. Hence I am scared of long fasting.

(Richard Hanson) #27

The scale provide a quantitative measurement. It is just a number and does not engender any type of emotional response.

When Mrs. Hanson wraps her arms around me in a hug and tells me I am getting skinny, I experience an emotional respond.

Keto for Life,
Richard

My self-control regarding food is negligible too but extreme low-carb and a well-fasted state is totally different… Longest fasts shouldn’t be a problem but I still feel the need to eat moderately soon. Even after I got very well satiated before my fast, I was a bit hungry after about 45 hours and it often happens earlier. Or if not hunger, I feel my body wants its fuel, I get weaker or something. It surely would pass, I probably could skip a month regarding my fat reserves but I don’t do uncomfortable fasts. If I get hungry or get tempted, I eat, almost without exceptions. My mental state has a lot to do with that, my body forgets its hunger signs or temper tantrums if I am adamant about a longer fast.

So not having self control means little if certain circumstances totally change it or if we can fast for “long” without self control because we are nicely satiated for days.

Still, I prefer OMAD for now…

(Terri) #29

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Terri

(Susan) #30

After having no changes for 2.5 months, I am thrilled that I am now losing about 2-3 pounds a month, yes =).

(Terri) #31

congrats!

(Heather McElduff) #32

I am with you! I don’t weigh myself daily, but I do weigh in more days than I don’t. I am not to a point where I feel a big change in my clothes, so I do find the scale helpful. When tracking my weight loss, I take a Friday-Friday approach before I let the ups and down bother me. As long as I am down from one Friday to the next, I am happy.

(Windmill Tilter) #33

I’m the same way. I will be fine all day, but when I’m cooking dinner for my kids at night, the sensation of hunger comes on in waves. The hunger hormones operate on circadian rhythms and peak in the early evening. When that happens, I’m never really sure if I’m actually hungry or if it’s just hormones. My strategy is concede but postpone. I make a deal with myself to break the fast with no questions asked if I’m hungry in the morning. Nine times out of ten, I’m not even the slightest bit hungry the next morning. One times out of ten I eat breakfast with zero guilt regardless of what the calendar says.

I managed a few dozen 84 day fasts last year and dropped around 30lbs that way. Everybody is different though. Fasting isn’t for everyone. The more fat you have, the more extended fasting makes sense. I’ve got plenty… :yum:

(Paulene ) #34

That’s great - I’d be happy with that too!
Was it the fasting pattern that made the difference, or something else?

(Susan) #35

I was stalled for 2.5 months, because I was fasting more then eating and only eating about 500 calories a day on eating days, so I really messed up my metabolism. I made sure I eliminated all artificial sweeteners in July as well. Everyone told me to eat more, and to eat a lot more fat --so I increased that, and decreased my fasting a lot, and the scale did start to move a bit… but then stopped again -so then I eliminated all dairy for a month, no change, then I started fasting again and made sure I hard hardly any dairy, and made sure I ate enough calories and fats, the scale was like 1 pound every 6 weeks, I asked for advice (on my accountability thread). Illana Rose told me about the IDM fasting protocol, so I did that for November (lost about 2 pounds) didn’t do it for December, but still did some fasting and the Zorn Fast, which I do every month, I didn’t lose any that month, but no gaining either. I didn’t really break Keto much -I did splurge and I had one Lindor chocolate on Christmas --that was my one bad cheat over the holidays. I ate a bit of the Christmas dinner, but I never have enjoyed meals that took me hours to prepare, I get so focused and distracted and could care less about the food when it is time to eat --even before Keto.

I have a few drinks on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve so those were more carbs then usual, but I didn’t go off on foods really. I went back to the IDM fasting and the Zornfast I did 91 hours in January and I lost 3 pounds in total over a few days after the fasting was done. I have remained at 232 since then, but I am hoping that this coming Zornfast (where I will do 72+ hours again) will trigger another couple of pounds lost =).

I have been doing T-Tapp video workouts daily for 42 minutes as well, which is very helpful and helping me feel more agile and limber =). I have an Accountability thread that has my journey details from shortly after I joined the forum until now too -if you want more details, and all of the various things that I have tried =).

I keep to very basic Keto -because I think that is important for me. We do have one of our concerts coming up on Saturday night, so I will be doing an OMAD dinner at Wendy’s with 2 Lettuce burgers (I ask for 2 cheeseburgers with bacon, on condiments on lettuce buns) and a diet pop, and that is artificial sweetener (but I only have any on these rare occasions!) I will pre-drink Vodka before the concert, and I will have one drink during it, and my hubby will have one beer. We get there at 7, the concert begins at 8 and goes until about 10:30 --we like getting there that early when the doors open so that we can sit at the table where we want. Our tickets are for a certain table but it seats 10 people and we like specific seats -so we go early, then I go and get the drinks, and then we visit -others come and we visit with them as well (and we have been doing this for years, so we see other couples that have been getting the same table for years as well).

(Paulene ) #36

If you are going to have a cheat, that’s a pretty good one! Yuuumm

I have no idea what a ZornFast is but I see references to it everywhere. I’ll listen to the 2KD podcast with Brenda Zorn tonight, I think. I have listened/watched to quite a few Jason Feng productions but not looked up the IDM protocol.
So thanks for those tips,@Momof5.
Good luck with the concert on Saturday night.

(Susan) #37

Thanks, Paulene =).

The Zorn Fast is run by Brenda Zorn and it is held here on the forum on the third Thursday of the month --but she posts it a few days before usually and we all do it as long as we feel comfortable with. She makes a new thread for it each month and there are a bunch of us that like to do it monthly; but we always welcome new people joining the regular group for sure!! The more the merrier, it is nice to have the interaction and to support each other =). I posted the protocol above --up a few posts if you want to check it out.

I had hit a small stall doing OMAD and dropped six pounds with a couple of non-consecutive days of water / salt only fast. I know there are a lot of people more knowledgeable than me on here, but the metabolism issue is one of the main reasons I made the switch. I personally couldn’t hit calorie needs/wants on OMAD and was scared that it was going to turn into a CICO issue that would eventually slow metabolism. According to Fung days of nothing followed by days of eating adequate calories didn’t slow the metabolism like day after day of calorie restriction ( which I was probably getting from daily OMAD). It was more out of fear and weight fell off after just a couple of days with it. I’m personally going to try at least two water/salt fasts a week.

(Rebecca ) #39

I hate the stupid thing…but I still use it every day. I keep a log book for information purposes for myself. Something I have seen recently is: the scale has said about the same number, within 3 lbs for months, but I seem to be holding fluid lately…I can tell by how my pants are fitting.

(Greg) #40

If fasting makes my keto rash worse I’ll be most upset.

Black seed oil. Apply it topically - that stuff did wonders for my rash. It’s a bit smelly, but black seed oil creams definitely are out there.