The March of the Carnivores!

(Laurie) #61

@Wendy198 Personally I find that I need added fat. Otherwise I just feel weird. Most days this means 1.5 ounces of Cambozola cheese (made by Käserei Champignon). It’s 42% fat, so that gives me almost 20 extra grams of fat.

The other high-fat cheese is mascarpone, also 42% fat, but you have to read the label and make sure you’re getting the real thing. In my area they sell an inferior version that’s full of guar gum and other fillers. It’s only 36% fat, which is the same as regular cheese.

When I don’t have Cambozola in the house, I eat bacon.

Another way of getting more fat: scrambled eggs. Most people put some kind of liquid in their scrambled eggs, but I skip the liquid and use lots of butter:

Whisk 3 eggs together. Melt 1 ounce of butter over medium-low heat. Pour in eggs. Stir mixture constantly with a wooden spoon until done.

The ounce of butter will give you more than 20 grams of extra fat.

I agree with this, it happens to alot of people who ‘find carnivore’ right off the bat and freak out but I have to say most of us zc people have walked down that carb ladder, into extreme low carb type eating before we even take that walk into carnivore, we are more prepared for sure on that one.

but truths of guidelines on how this plan is best achieved when starting need to be put out there. I was one who had some Diet Pepsi and some 90% chocolate while transitioning into carnivore, darn right I didn’t want to give them up LOL but I did, and always, like you say, the cravings and obsessing and all leave us on zc when we eat the meats!

@VirginiaEdie, that is one of THE BEST looking carnivore sandwiches I ever saw in a pic…I know you enjoy that bad boy HAHA

@islandlight, absolutely you could be one who thrives on a higher fat content for sure but you have to think this way also, while cheese is good for that kick, your fat should be thought of consisting in your meat/seafood etc choices of cuts of meat you do eat. Yes, if you do great on dairy and love that boost in your day from your cheese then it works for you well…cool. There are alot of ways it works individually for us :slight_smile: but sometimes we need to walk around the zc block for a bit to learn what suits us and what doesn’t.

----------So my mom is 92, soon to be 93 on March 16 but we hit walmart. She wanted to walk it so off we go, about 20 mins. in she says she has to sit, she needs a motorized scooter shopping cart…which she said she would never use, oh heck no!! but I tried to get her to get one LOL…so off we go and get one. OMG SO FUNNY, mom was like a new person on her scooter flying thru the store LOL Thank goodness so many people were so nice about her trying to control that thing for the first time :slight_smile: :slight_smile: She is a convert, she likes the scooter buggy now.

leaving moms house later I stopped at a grocery I don’t normally hit and found 2 markdowns on monster NY Strips…like $6 off one and $7 off the other…heaven, I’m in heaven :)!!!

(Laurie) #63

Thank you, @Fangs. There are some meats that I can’t eat, and others that I can’t cook in my current living situation. As a result, I miss out on fat, and I’m always looking for ways to get more fat. I hope that what I’ve learned can help someone else.

(Karen) #64

Lots of posts to read through this evening!

Welcome to the new Marchers :slightly_smiling_face:

4.45am stair runs and pu’s this morning before work and then must have done a good 25,000 steps and a further 44 floors clicked up on my counter. (Not allowed to take fitbit in to work :angry:

Took in chicken butter and cheese for the microwave for lunch, a couple of hard boiled eggs and a mugs worth of home made chicken stock.

Got home about 6.30pm and cooked 3 frying steaks topped with some cheese. Then had a bit more cheese followed by some canned corned beef and chorizo.

Ready for bed … covid vaccine tomorrow!

(Karen) #65

Forgot my pic lol

3 frying steaks

(Vic) #66

Bussy day, no time.

Only 1 meal, big rib eye.

So what are the allowed seasonings besides salt?

My husband made a whole stewed chicken last night with onion, garlic, salt and pepper, turmeric and cumin. I only ate the meat but could definitely taste the seasoning. Just had it again tonight with leftover steak and eggs from breakfast. I was a bit worried about ingesting residual FODMAPs from the onion and garlic, which I recently learned are high in those compounds. Thoughts?

@islandlight thank you for these tips. Very helpful!!:grinning:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #69

Do you get to wear a uniform or do they just give you a badge?

I’m cookin’ up 25 pounds of top sirloin steaks tomorrow, it’s something I do every couple weeks to make my own ready-to-go Carnivore Lunchables.

(Vic) #70

Its ok, enjoy life.

I do it to, but once in a while, most day are pure meat and salt.

seasonings are fine. they are optional if you want them or not. very personal choice on them, and of course some seasonings one person can eat and do well on another can’t stomach :slight_smile: so again, personal to you.

like I loved loved loved a quarter teaspoon of fresh minced garlic on my steak when I cooked it when I first started, I adored that taste…then about a year into zc I couldn’t stand the taste of garlic…omg SO sweet and nasty truly so I dropped it.

so seasonings are personal on if ya like it, do well on it, and when you decide ya don’t want it, drop it. Hope that helps a bit for you :slight_smile:

many carnivores use some spices plus when eating out alot of times some spice on restaurant meals are gonna happen, again, personal choice if it suits you or not.

think of seasonings as how they react to your body. they are ‘not a meal’, they are for a tad of flavor only so it is ok to have some if you want, we label that ‘a relaxed carnivore’ vs. a strict one.

(Edith) #72

I started off using all kinds of seasonings, but I have found myself using less and less over the course of my six month trial. I still use some seasoning with chicken and pork, but beef I now only season with salt. Beef to me needs nothing else. I didn’t used to be like that.

Oh goodness. So happy to be off work for the next three days. Going to do a little shopping tomorrow morning after I drop my daughter at school. The store I need to get to won’t be open that early, so I may grab a coffee for my older daughter and run that over to her at work. By that time, the store should be open, so I’ll grab the few items I need, then head home, thaw some steaks and cook. Tomorrow night is family dinner with the inlaws and a few kids plus their friends. I have a nice, carnivorous dinner planned, veg is optional. =)

Eats today:
2 beef patties
1 chicken breast and butter
coffee
water
water
water
live probiotic capsules.

Sure hope to get some sleep tonight. Its been a long time, or so it seems. Fairly convinced that the stomach/digestive issue is due to killing the good bacteria. Whether it was GasX. artificial sweetener, or tums…I don’t know. But, I bought the mother load of live probiotics …something like 90 billion. Took 2 before I came home. now, we wait and see. Have a good one.

(Linda ) #74

I’m still on my bacon kick…I think I need the heavier fat content for now I was eating strip steak as much as I love it… it just wasn’t filling me up and sending me into snacks binges…although I stuck to porkrinds and moon cheese to limit the damage its not a road I want to keeo diving into… So I went back to basics thinking bacon and eggs always made me feel full so I started eating bacon to see if I could get back out of the “snacking” I won’t not eat pork rinds but they have to be part of the planned meal time which I have been also doing once a day …the results so far have been great no more hunger no more out of control snacking. And no cravings for anything
I’m also still doing my diet coke one reason being is Dr Cywes says if you take a comfort away you gotta put something back I don’t have a put back drink yet. And he is fine with my coke. I have added listening to music every day and I still try to get the dogs out every day…and alsoin the process of having a swimming pool built…(if the contractors ever come back to continue) …In the mean time have a huge mess in the back yard haha …dirt piles everywhere and of course the mass hole it came out of …so looking forward to summer…

(Vic) #75

Halfway the meal I poured 40% fat cooked heavy cream all over it. That was delicious.

Your walk into this carnivore plan is just so great. You are one that ‘just kinda follows’ how zc goes down for so many of us. I love reading your posts about how your journey has changed you!!

Me too and so many others. What we start out with and the changes we make to our eating is just so interesting to me and you just fall into what a normal carnivore does now…you love some seasoning, til ya don’t like it anymore :slight_smile: Time on plan just does this to all who go into carnivore full on and tackle the plan and give it a fair shake with their trial.

@SecondBreakfast, hope you are feeling better in the tummy.
3 whole days off for you busy person!! WOW bet you are gonna enjoy that down time!!

and having a nice sparkling finished pool to go with that hot summer weather! :wink: Oh you lucky duck! I just got an above ground pool but I love it. I am a water baby to the max. I hope you sure enjoy that pool!

eating the strip steak, the way to avoid snack binges was to eat a ton more of that meat til you could not eat another bite, but yea I get it. I buy flank steak and the cut is not that big in the package, I eat the whole thing and think, damn that was not enough at all and like you, I want to eat and eat smaller things after and it all becomes ‘too much’ like you mentioned.

it is great to experiment on how food combinations and amts of what foods are needed to be increased as we change on plan. you got this, just bob and weave thru how it best works for you and enjoy that bacon again!

I used to eat like a 10-12 oz ribeye steak and about 1 hr later I would be woofing down sardines, tuna, some cheese, maybe even go cook a burger to ‘hold me’ til one day I said screw this…I only buy now 1 lb. steaks. I eat the whole lb and I am happy…that smaller cut of steak just never gave me enough ummpffttt. Sounds like you are doing great…keep on zc’ing!

@Carnivoor, that is a beautiful hunk of meat…and you upped the game making that meal super more delish for you! Cool!

-------------So the frickin’ scale dropped 1/2 a lb. for me. Been so long LOL but my clothing size is going down without any movement down the scale. But to even see that 1/2 lb finally register on the scale made me smile. I just love tho how we zc people thin out, lean out, deflate a bit and change our body composition with no drop on the scale…cool how that all works!

I feel wonderful. Right now I am in that full zc glory truly.
nothing feels off on me, I got that zc strength and with the weather improving and sunshine and warmth finally coming now…my mood is lighter, feel more lifted and engaged with life.

so all fine in my little zc land here :slight_smile:

woke up and thought darn, I have no big meat defrosted but yea I do…got 2 nice big Tbones defrosted, but I grabbed a 1 lb. steak for defrost for tomorrow out of the freezer. I truly need a 1 lb. steak to start my first meal of the day…after that I am one happy clam and set for the day

this thread is so much fun to read about how everyone is changing and how everyone is on different time paths on this plan from more new to older vets on plan and how we roll thru it. I enjoy reading all of it from each of you!

(Heather) #77

Absolutely! It’s great to see such flurry of activity. Welcome to everyone!

This is so me as well. I found that the seasonings just “masked” the real taste of the meat. Now I only use salt if I feel I’m struggling with an electrolyte balance.

Isn’t it awesome the more simple we keep things, the be better our body reacts and feels? Love it!

Up until a week ago, I was waking up at 3am, every night (wide awake) with no hopes of going back to sleep. I changed up the time of day I was eating different amounts of food. I was eating a pretty hefty lunch (around 11am) and then a slightly lighter dinner (around 5pm). Now, I eat a slightly lighter lunch and heftier dinner. I have been successfully sleeping until 4:30 pm, which is huge for me! I go to bed around 9, so that’s a good night’s sleep and I’m feeling much more refreshed the following day. I hope I’m on to something.

I know many people prefer a bigger meal earlier in the day, but it just wasn’t working for me. We each have to do what works for our body.

Sad to report I am feeling really sick, like I want to vomit. I had bacon and eggs this morning. Bowels were definitely messed up yesterday morning— like water — but generally I felt good after the morning but not as good as previous days. What to do?? I need a fast acting anti-nausea remedy.

I’m either going to try baking soda or antacid or maybe both…

Baking soda is helping.