The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence

simpleketo

Well, the tracker app I use for the carbs says I’m way too low for protein (55-70 g/day @ 70kg, I’m training daily). Given that I used to get most of them from carb-rich vegetals, I’m not surprised. A bit more eggs, cheese, and fish, then.

You’re certainly correct for the average person who eats a typical meat/dairy-heavy diet.

(Suzi Smotrycz-Guilford) #83

Awesome advice-thank you!!!

Shouldn’t it be: Replace th me carbohydrates & sugar you eat with fat.

(VLC.MD) #85

Yes and No.

Sugar is a simple carbohydrate . But it is still a carb. You are right it is the worst one.

But in a Keto mindset they are all bad !

Is it? … I didn’t know that.

(VLC.MD) #87

Well all carbs end up as sugar … but starch is a complex carb and sugar is a simple carb.
Complex carb == sugar molecules attached to each other in a line. Bacteria in your gut break the line of sugar into individual sugars.

What is the difference between a potato and sugar ?
A: 40 minutes.

(Marylou McGinnis Crabtree) #88

That is really awesome, awesome advice. I’m trying to encourage my husband do this Keto way of eating and that is exactly the right thing to say to him… Keto is a very simple plan. For me it is all about finding a good substitute for things I loved to eat before… I should cook!!!

(Brian) #89

Haven’t heard it put that way before. Cuts to the chase.

(Candy Lind) #91

Six months in, I finally started to be less fat-phobic. I was using more fat, but not ENOUGH more. I am finally to the point where my fat macro is the only one I’m making sure is high enough. I will consider it my biggest NSV when I no longer have to count calories (when my metabolism is repaired and I’ve lost a lot more weight).

(Bill Calhoun) #92

This is sooooooooo AWESOME! You gotta love-it!

(Ian Shaw) #93

: No struggle is necessary. The Chinese-American professor Fung stated, that intermittent fasting and later longer-term fasting makes it much easier than trying to meticulously construct complex and expensive diets. In addition, the key is the reduction of insulin in the blood. Low insulin tends to cause weight loss, while high insulin tends to increase weight.
Thus there is no need for expensive blood ketone test strips (cheap ones testing ketones in urine are inaccurate), because blood glucose test strips are adequate. Low blood glucose means low insulin, while high blood glucose means high insulin.
Fasting (water only) eliminates the need for sophisticated ketogenic diets. The basic idea is to use a narrow time slot for eating like for instance, 12 noon to 2 PM, or even 12 noon to 6 PM, and water fasting the rest of the time until 12 noon of the next day. (This method obviously skips breakfast). A longer term fast can be 4 days, since it takes about two days to completely exhaust the glycogen deposits in muscle and thus switches the system over to ketones. Even in intermittent fasting (18-22 hours), ketones are between 0.3 and 1. 5 mmol/liter. In three days, ketones can be as high as 4-5 mmol/liter., but there is really no need to measure it. I have been doing this for nearly two years quite successfully. Of course, during the narrow time slot, one must need to limit carbohydrates and use proteins in moderation. During this time window one must eat a lot of fat, like coconut oil in coffee (known as bulletproof coffee or tea), olive oil, bacon, eggs, avocados, green vegetables, and only little fruit. Just don’t think that this is too difficult or mysterious to follow
Truthfully, the two-hour eating window may be a bit restrictive, since the original literature recommends a window size of 6 to 8 hours. I tried this, but I was not satisfied with the results. I find water fasting easier and more effective than a keto diet, since you no longer have to count carbohydrate-minus-fiber amounts. If you do not eat at all, you obviously excluded any carbs and you did not overdo proteins.
I.Shaw
ishaw@afrihost.co.za

(bulkbiker) #94

He’s Canadian by the way…

(Ben) #95

And he’s not a professor

And he recommends fasting + LCHF diet.

I absolutely agree with you Ian that controlling insulin is key, and fasting can help you do this. I’m delighted for you that you’ve had success that way.

I’ve had my success with keto and no (deliberate) fasting, and I wouldn’t describe my diet as sophisticated, complex or expensive.

(Consensus is Politics) #96

@carolT

I’m eating Keto
No carbohydrates for me
Bye diabetes

[edit: this is the first time I looked at this since I wrote it. It was supposed to by a haiku, I see to remember it flowed out like one. But now that I see it, it doesn’t fit the rules for a haiku. Isn’t it 3 x 5 x 3? Or is it 5 x 7 x 5? I don’t remember. I suppose I could google it :roll_eyes:]

[edit #2 Finally figures out what I meant to write the first time. And it is 5x7x5]:cowboy_hat_face:

(Gabriela) #97

Thanks Larry you just made it easier for me to take the first step

(Sandi Horsley) #98

Great List Thanks for making it simple!

(Frank Smith) #99

Great

(Valerie Williams) #100

Thanks! Been doing really well, 14 pounds in first month, but started panicking when I started reading more. Over thinking r us! Fat instead of carbs I can do!

(Jodi Rakoff) #102

I am confused about vegetables. I have heard you don’t count the carbs and I have heard you do count the carbs!? What do you reccomend?

You do count the carbs, you don’t count the fiber as net carbs.