THE Best Bread - I would eat this even if I wasn’t doing keto

bread

(Sophie) #21

For those of you that have tried it, can this bread be used to sop up stuff like real bread does? Say something like runny egg yolk or gravy, sauces or something like the pot liquor from greens? I’m Southern and we’re into stuff like that. :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Sure it can. I just finished the last of the batch I made, heated in the micro and sopping with butter. I’d bet that if made with coconut flour it would sop up even more.

I’ve decided I’m not wild about flax seeds. I’m glad I tried the bread—don’t get me wrong—but I think I’ll try substituting almond and coconut flour next time, to see what that does to the taste. It’s dead easy to make.

(Sophie) #23

When I do stuff like subbing out, I start with half of what’s called for. So I’d do half flax and half almond. Coconut would be a lesser amount because it sucks up more liquid in your recipe.

(Karen) #24

I’m looking at this and trying to decide whether or not I will try it with oat fiber

(Sophie) #25

Another great option! I’d love to use more oat fiber. How much would you sub? I think I’d give it a try starting with ½c. and 1½c. flax. What do you think? :thinking:

(Karen) #26

Can you make this in a loaf pan? And how long

(Heather Meyer) #27

Well i can say for a fact that adding some fresh rosemerry leaves into this bread really makes it pop! And some coarse sea salt spronkled on the top. Gives it an artisean type taste.

(Heather Meyer) #28

Wholesum Yum has an amazing bread thats quite quick and simple. No egg taste, very bland in flavour…perfect for toast or sandwiches.

2 cups almond flour
4 tbsp ground psyllium husks
1/4 cup coconut oil or other oil
1 tbsp baking powder
4 eggs room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water

Measure out the dry and place in bowl.
In separate bowl, beat eggs lighlty. Add melted butter and eggs to dry and stir till gloppy(thats very technical wording) Then pour 1/2 cup hot water over mixture and whip it! I mean really good! Its going to look like a wet thick batter.
Thicker than cake batter…
Now spray a 8x4 bread loaf tin and line with parchment so it overhangs. Spray parchment as well. Now pour batter into loaf tin and smooth across top lightly and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 70 minutes.
Will come out light brownish(asssuming your husk is not the purple making kind) and will be crusty on top and risen. Slice into 15 pieces and store in fridge for a week.
It toasts perfectly and slices well and is so mild in taste. Perfect for toast or sandwiches! Fresh Manna!

Omg that’s amazing

(Lorena) #30

Hi and thank you for posting this. I’m baking right now. A question, is the parchment paper required? I was wondering if buttering the pan and dusting with almond flour would be OK? Do you think it would stick too badly if I did this?

Thanks!

(Dawn Michelle) #31

I’m not sure. I’ve always used parchment paper. But your idea would probably work. What I like about the parchment paper is that you can just lift the whole thing out of the pan.

(Lorena) #32

Hi, thanks for answering! I agree, it did make it easy to lift out. It baked up beautifully. I am not sure what I expected but it actually looked like bread. Haha. I think the flax meal made it taste a little fishy. Why, who knows? I put butter on it and it was delicious. For next time I’ll try ½ almond flour and ½ flax meal along with no parchment. I’ll let ya know. Thanks for a great bread!

(JohnnyD) #33

I’m going to try this tonight! Thanks…

(Edith) #34

I thought the same thing, but once I get past the first bite or two I get used to it and then don’t really notice that any more.

I think it will make a good egg sandwich. I haven’t done that, yet.

(Brian) #35

I’m not sure what the flax brings to the party. I saw a couple of recipes for mug bread with flax and without, otherwise identical. I made it without and the texture was fine. I don’t like the taste of flax. But I did wonder if I added a little yeast of some kind whether I might get a bit of that bread-like yeasty flavor.

(Edith) #36

I think the flax seed is a useful ingredient for those that can’t have tree nuts.

(JohnnyD) #37

Well, I’m a rookie at baking, but I learned a long time ago that to have success in this WOE you need to know your way around the kitchen. I made the recipe. It tastes good, but looks “not so much”.

Johnny, you’ll get better at making a loaf, methinks…

But at least they tasted good!

I am making some of this basic recipe into some buns for a family “sliders” party this weekend.

Itsy bitsy tiny buns, see???

(I always wanted tiny buns, but I digress…) :roll_eyes:

I am going to try 1 cup pyrex dishes for the baking so they will also hold their round shape.

Practice making perfect and all. :slight_smile: … Trial and errors can actually be enjoyable sometimes. Especially when cooking. :slight_smile:

(Heather Meyer) #40

If thats the recipe i posted from wholesum yum, i can help you troubleshoot it.