Flaxseed Bread

2 cups ground flaxseed - I use Bob’s Redmill Golden Flaxmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
5 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup avocado oil

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a whisk.
In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients with a whisk.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix with a whisk.
Pour that mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper is a little awkward, but just go with it. Smooth out the mixture as best as you can.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Pull bread out of the pan using parchment paper ends and let it cool on a rack. Cut into 12 pieces. I keep some in the fridge and freeze some for later. To eat, I slice in half and toast, then load it up with butter until it is dripping through to the plate.

The Wife might give this a try, since she’s been looking at Bread Recipes. … I’m guessing that it’s supposed to be 1/2 Cup Water, correct?

(Dawn Michelle) #3

Oops, yes 1/2 cup of water.

(Karen) #4

What is the carb load per slice on this bread? Sounds delicious

(Dawn Michelle) #5

Per slice, 1/12 of recipe:

6.5 grams protein
14 grams fat
5.5 grams carbs
5 grams fiber
0.5 grams net carbs

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Thanks, I want to try this. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Laurie) #7

I use an almost identical recipe. I use 1 Tablespoon baking powder instead of 1 teaspoon soda, and olive oil instead of avocado. I make muffins and pancakes with the recipe; I’ve never tried it in a loaf pan.

Anyway, it is good!

(Karen) #8

Now we’re re talking! I’m glad to hear it is bread like in texture because I know my muffin bread that I make is still to eggy

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

@Keto6468 Have you tried the 90 second mug breads? I don’t have a microwave at home but had one on vacation recently. I liked them pretty well. I haven’t tried my convection oven yet but have plans. I have only done almond flour but want to experiment with the flax, psyllium husk and coconut versions. Less carbs than almond flour. :man_cook:

(Karen) #10

This oat muffin was actually done in the microwave as a 90 second Mug Muffin. I have used almond flour, coconut flour, and psyllium husk,. This is my new try. It’s the best texture yet and not as eggy or wet.

(Amanda ) #11

Does it taste eggy?

I was never into breads myself, even before Keto, but I have been wanting to do some experimenting myself to see if I could come up with a nice recipe. There are times I do use bread, just not very often. … I also bought a bunch of stuff a while back, and just haven’t use it much. So I do have all the stuff needed, just need to start trying some things. (Such as this recipe) :slight_smile:

(Dawn Michelle) #13

Not at all eggy. The flaxmeal gets a nice toasty taste.

(Karen) #14

No it’s not damp, eggy, or rubbery.

I made this last night for a Worship Arts Team Potluck at my Church. (I’m the Orchestra Director)

I thought it was pretty bland, but a skoshe more salt would have fixed that. I was in a hurry, and may not have actually DOUBLED the salt at all–as I should have done–since it was a double batch.

BUT THIS RECIPE has possibilities, oh baby! I can’t believe how much of it disappeared, even though I cautioned my Non Ketonian peeps that it was my first trial, and it was decidedly bland this time around.

And on the way back from Church, I sorta snarfed all the leftovers. :smirk:

I am VERRRY interested in whatever tweaks you folks have tried that worked out well: spices, cheddar, whey protein, just whatever. Maybe a little Almond Flour or Coconut Flour???

Dunno, but after 2 years of not really caring whether I had bread anymore, suddenly my Keto Bread Mojo has returned with a vengeance.

See, in the beginning of my 28 month KETO journey I thought I neeeeeded(!) bread and tried all sorts of recipes that were mostly Flopperoos.

Even though I’m a man, I got to be an expert bread maker, even grinding my own flour, and making thousands of hamburger buns OVER MANY YEARS that became legend in my South Central Kansas locale. People would call my wife and say something like, "Hey! Come to our cookout Saturday! And by the way, could Stan bring some of those buns everybody is raving about???" This went on for well over a decade, maybe closer to two.

Great BIG Soft, Fluffy, Whole Wheat Buns. YUM!

BUTT alas… :neutral_face:

So after all the Phoney Keto Bread flopperoos that just couldn’t pass muster, bread sorta faded away as the pounds melted off.

No bread tastes as good as losing half of my body weight feels. (333 divided by 2 = 166.5)

And yes, you can quote or steal that if you like. I did.

So just a little history.

But thanks @DawnMichelle for posting this. It has really piqued my interest!

(JohnnyD) #16

I got up this morning wanting a piece of keto toast, logged on and found this on the first try. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks.

I can tell you @JohnnyD that toasted, slathered with butter, this would be Da Bomb.

Oh my…

I chose to do hamburger buns, and quartered them for the Church Supper.

Long time ago, I bought some single egg teflon pans that I removed the handles from, because I can bake hamburger sized Keto Buns in just about any toaster oven, 5 at a time. These are now hard to find at our local Walmarts on the shelf, but similar items are available, just more expen$ive.

Something like this would work One Egg Non-Stick Fry Pan

And I don’t know why the 2 Cup Pyrex Dishes wouldn’t work either. I just wanted something I could use at the time and found the above quite suitable.

Here’s a sample:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

I wonder if it’s because I substituted coconut oil, or whether I’m just really sensitive to the egg taste. Definitely a tad eggy to me.

What? Of course I’m still going to eat them! I didn’t say anything about not eating them!! Sheesh! :grin:

(Bob M) #19

My problem with this is that I haven’t eaten bread in so long (doing this over 5 years), that I don’t know what to do with bread. I do eat bread at holidays, which I make myself from Einkorn wheat. But that’s basically 2 days a year.

For burgers, I don’t mind picking them up with lettuce wraps. I haven’t eaten a sandwich in years. I wouldn’t mind an egg and ham sandwich, but I don’t eat breakfast except on rare occasions.

So, what do I do with bread? (And I never really ate bread – other than in pizza – when I wasn’t low carb.)

On the other hand, I could see making this for my kids and letting them have a sandwich.

(Laurie) #20

I started with the recipe in the link below, but I didn’t really care for the sweet version (even though I like sweets). I got rid of the sweetener, cinnamon, etc., and ended up with something very like the recipe given in this thread. I’ve used it for both muffins and pancakes (no adjustment needed for pancakes).

I’ve tried replacing some of the flax with parmesan cheese or whey protein. I might try it someday with shredded coconut. I’ve added various flavors; the only one I can remember at the moment is Italian seasoning and garlic. The recipe is quite forgiving, but I think I prefer the plain version (as in @DawnMichelle’s original post).

Here’s the recipe I started with: