That Sugar Film: another hilarious, informative documentary

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Now I’m torn, I can’t decide which is more entertaining, Fat Head or this one.

Both feature narrators that sacrifice themselves on the altar of n+1 self-experimentation with “the enemy,” and both come to dramatic, eye-opening conclusions. But this one is definitely a bigger, more global production with a lot of flash and panache. Wow. The underwear jumping at the end was…memorable.

(Kylie Woodruff) #2

Definitely very visually appealing! I went to one of the screenings at the cinema when it came out here in Australia and Damon was there for a Q & A as well as David Gillespie who also features in the movie.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Sweet! (pardon the pun)

(Danielle) #4

The thing I love about that sugar film is that he is eating foods that are being marketed as healthy and that alot of people are choosing as their "Healthy"option. I think it really shocked alot of people.

(Arlene) #5

I hope so!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

The only downside was when he defiled my Mt. Hood with a snot joke. I’ll sic two thousand Portland hipsters on you, Damon, live in fear!

(Dean) #7

wow, the part where he comes in to the USA and talks about fast food on every exit really says something for how immune we have become as a country to the level of unhealthy food all around us… what a great movie and it should shown in every school in the US

I like That Sugar Film best. I thought the day he replaced what he was eating with actual sugar was genius.

(Candace) #9

Finally getting to watch this - can hardly believe that he came to Barbourville, KY - I go there at least once a month. I actually learn something about this area (I’ve not been in KY for long)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

I distinctly recall making a face at the screen and being unable to swallow for a good five minutes. Because that was gross.

(Candace) #11

I thought this film was very interesting. Reminded me of Super Size Me - but a lot more realistic

(Lee Jones) #12

Thank you so much for the link Baconmecrazy.

For those amongst our society that are not already enlightened I truly believe this film has the power to affect such positive changes and save so many from a future of addiction and the obvious and scientifically proven negative health implications that go hand in hand with it.

It’s inspired me to get the message out there to my local community, especially schools if I can ‘work an in’.

I feel a crusade coming on!

We watched this last night and hubby picked that as his “OMG” moment too. Apparently a year of me preaching keto made him receptive to this concept. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Candace) #14

Watching this has put me on a documentary binge I just watched Jamie Oliver’s documentary Sugar Rush, and now I’m watching Fit to Fat and Back. I am blown away…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

@cancel Fit to Fat and Back actually enraged me. The guy makes me want to pop him one in the face.

He glides through his experience rather effortlessly with a blase attitude that does zero justice to the abuse and struggle most overweight people endure. He sums up his experience blithely as “letting himself go,” implying simple laziness and lack of focus is the cause of all fat pants.

Until he toils to eradicate…

1. Several obesity-related illnesses and/or injuries over the course of many years while a cadre of poorly educated doctors judge him like priests,

2. Scorching insulin resistance that only gets worse with every attempt to treat it,

3. And an insidious level of depression stemming from the social stigma of living inside the last acceptable hate crime target group for most of his life…I got nuthin’ to say to him.

(Candace) #16

He did have attitude, didn’t he? I think his last dialogue points out that he realized that he had a bit much attitude with Michelle, and I think he could have handled things a lot better. However, I give him some credit for the effort. I would not have been willing to do it, myself. Of the documentaries I’ve watched, it is one of, if not my least favorite.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

We’ve ALL done it, but unwillingly. That’s why we’re here on this forum. That’s what tears it. He really does believe we all had the same choice he had–to go from health to disease and back to health again quickly with the casual swipe of a gym membership card, unhindered by a deranged metabolism that much of the world still believes doesn’t exist.

And the way he treated that woman–Holy fuckballs! It was like an after school special on bullying.

(Candace) #18

True.

When she said to him that he was commenting on how disgusted he was with himself, to someone who was bigger than him…I wanted to throat punch him. He just did not get it, because he was so wrapped up in himself. Very sad.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

Bingo. Personality disorder in Spandex.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

I remember being told by a doctor something like “hey, all you have to do to lose weight is stop drinking sodas, stop going to McDonalds and eat fresh, whole foods”. I told him that advice didn’t make sense…since I didn’t drink soft drinks, NEVER go to ANY fast food joint, and all my food is homemade, starting with fresh, whole ingredients. I didn’t even own a microwave at that time…everything was cooked from scratch. He rolled his eyes and said “one day, you need to be honest with yourself”. I wanted to drive my fist through his fucking teeth. Dumped him as my doctor…I was so fucking pissed off.