Tesco free from rolls

Hey everyone, new here and have been doing keto for the last 2 months. Found this bread from Tesco’s ‘free from’ range that has 17g carbs per roll, 11g fibre… am I right I thinking that this means there are only 6g net carbs?
I’m still trying to figure all this out… thanks for any input.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/294006918

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Is this product produced/packaged in GB? Your link seems to indicate that it is. Additionally, the pricing is in GB£s.

My understanding of how the EU/GB calculates carbs is different from USA/Canada. For EU/GB the ‘Total Carbs’ is actually what we in in USA/Canada call ‘Net Carbs’. Our ‘Total Carbs’ is all the carbs so we have to subtract the fibre carbs to get the number of ‘Net Carbs’. If this is a GB product, my guess would be that what you’re seeing as ‘Total Carbs’ is actually the ‘Net Carbs’, the fibre already having been accounted for. If so, then not such a good deal because it actually has 23.5 net grams of carbs per 100 grams. That is a little more than one roll.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #3

Hi @Cp1, @amwassil is spot-on - over here the ‘total carbohydrate’ is what we need to account for - our labelling is totally different to US labelling (and means we don’t have to do the maths!).

If you’re looking for bread, there are three bread alternatives that I use:

1. No bread! I’ll eat cheese and ham for my packed lunch, or homemade egg mayo to eat with a spoon, or some kind of fatty keto soup that’s so filling (because of the fat) that it doesn’t occur to me to want bread. I don’t need toast for breakfast - I eat buttery scrambled eggs from a bowl with a spoon.

2. Diet Doctor keto rolls - a bit of a faff to make, but despite the weird combination of ingredients they are surprisingly breadlike. I started making these just recently, when Mr S started eating keto - he didn’t want to do without a roll for his packed lunch and asked me what I could do! So I do this:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

3. Chaffles! OMG. Again, very breadlike, which is - again - surprising! Tonight I had my first cheese on toasted chaffle - absolute heaven - and dead easy! Can’t wait to fire up the grill for my next one! There’s a thread all about chaffles here - Chaffles

I don’t eat chaffles or keto rolls every day - because I don’t really miss bread - but they’re excellent tools in the keto armoury.

Cool, thanks guys! I must admit I’m not missing bread that much as I didn’t really eat much of it before… always found it too bloating! Its just nice to have the occasional piece with my salads or to melt some butter on to. I will definitely give the ones you’ve mentioned a go though, thank you both for replying! I’ll also skip the maths from on :laughing: lol!

(Susan) #5

This thread is great for ideas on the Chaffles that @KetoSnaps told you about:

A lot of us on the forum have really been enjoying them =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Unless you’re one of those “Total Carbs” people in the US sense, then you have to add the fiber in! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

So in all honesty no matter if it was zero carbs there is no way I would consider this a “KETO food”.

INGREDIENTS:

Water, Seeds (10%) [Sunflower Seeds, Brown Linseed, Golden Linseed, Poppy Seeds, Millet], Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, Maize Starch, Potato Starch, Bamboo Fibre, Rapeseed Oil, Dried Egg White, Psyllium Husk Powder, Humectant (Vegetable Glycerol), Yeast, Stabilisers (Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose, Xanthan Gum), Sugar, Salt, Preservatives (Calcium Propionate, Potassium Sorbate), Apple Extract.

There is literally nothing other than water and salt in this list that I would choose as a desirable addition to a ketogenic diet. :confused:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Allie) #8

Junk tbh.