Sweetener Free May 2017

There’s another thread linked below for giving 2017 a sweet-free start, but @Jacquie has inspired me to try going without any added sweeteners in May 2017 since I don’t think I can commit to an entire year. :slight_smile:

I know that I have an insulinogenic response to sucralose through testing and I can infer the same effect from my response to other sweeteners, so I know that I should work to at least reduce them and find alternatives, so the best way to make those changes is start with an elimination.

Would anyone else like to join me? Also, I’m curious to hear from anyone who is or has been doing without any sweeteners in the past. What’s been your experience?

(Candra ) #2

Yes, I would like to join you (holding up hand halfway somewhat reluctantly) … I haven’t tested my response to sweeteners yet (today is my first day on this forum and I just copied how to do a response test from the FAQ) but intend to that post haste! I am reluctant because I don’t really, yet do really, want to know the results (ya know what I mean?) I have gotten lazy with the sweeteners (and tracking) after being keto for 4 months and I really feel that I need to take back control of my cravings. I have been noticing that I am hungry more and more often so something has to be causing that so I am going to jump into the pool with you kicking and screaming! Thanks for putting up the challenge!

(Jacquie) #3

I’m in!:grinning: Here’s my blurb from the last sweetener free challenge for Jan. 2017. I started in Dec. 2016 and am still going strong.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean, welcome aboard!

(Becky) #5

Yes, I am in also! I need the support. I’ve been stalled for almost three months. I suspect sweeteners and/or dairy, yet have been unsuccessful with putting either down. Relying on the other as a crutch. Deep breath, no more Powerade zero, Diet Coke, McDs coffee with cream, lemonade with stevia, etc. Today, I was given a regular Coke at the drive thru and that scares the dickens out of me. Before Keto, I was held hostage by sugar and flour and knew it was killing me but couldn’t stop. I don’t want to go back there!

Oh no, I just realized that I’m going to have to give up Diet Cracke! :scream:

Hmmm, I think I’ll try using Frank’s Hot Sauce in club soda for some flavor instead. :wink:

:laughing:

(Dustin Cade) #7

I’m in, this should not be that hard… I don’t much care for them anyway…

(What The Fast?!) #8

I envy you so. I have not just one sweet tooth, but an entire mouth full.

(Jacquie) #9

Andrea, I did, too. :wink: Sugar/sweet was my nemesis. Nothing was ever too sweet. Keep it in mind for the future perhaps…

(What The Fast?!) #10

I’m in another group (on FB) and people are constantly posting about Halo Top ice cream…
I usually put Stevia in my coffee in the AM, will used flavored Stevia in tea and also soda water, and make faux-hot-cocoa a couple times a week. I also make fat bombs with it…so…yeah, I have a problem.
I’m on like, day 3 without it, and I’m going a little nuts.

(Dustin Cade) #11

I like Halo Top ice cream… chocolate chip cookie and oatmeal cookie… we got a mint chip to try… it’s expansive… but worth trying

(What The Fast?!) #12

The Mint Chip is awesome…but lots of erythritol. :frowning:

(Jennie) #13

I’m in.

Bring on May!

First day of Sweetener Free May went well. I put the sweeteners out of sight so I would be less tempted and made my coffee without any extra sweetness. This morning I’m letting the coffee soak with a cinnamon stick in it since that’s worked in the past.

I’ve had black coffee regularly in the past, so anything I add is probably going to be okay, especially since I started adding some sea salt to the coffee, but tea is something that is either too bland or too strong and I need to flavor it with something and that was usually sweetener.

The worst part is coming of Dairy Free April and now Sweetener Free May, I STILL can’t make any Keto Ice Cream! :laughing:

(Dustin Cade) #15

started my sweetener free May with fasting… my first fast (trying for 48 hours)

(Lucrecia) #16

Wasn’t even remotely ready for this in May 2017, but I am now. I really need to put down the stevia. Can’t do erythritol either. So zero sweeteners is the only way forward for me. Ditto the dairy. Even butter is not my friend. Am greatly in need of support and accountability partners so please, any and all help, will be gratefully received!