Giving 2017 a Sweet-Free Start

(jketoscribe) #1

When I first went keto/lchf, I went without ANY sweeteners of ANY kind for the first 6 months or so.

Not going to lie, it was HARD! But I actually had a lot of benefit:

• Very little craving, and I tended to eat less often because of less “food reward”.
  • Lost my sweet tooth and to this day I have a lot lower tolerance for sweet
  • Focused on other, real, nutrient dense foods instead of faux foods
  • I found many foods that surprised me by their natural sweetness, like almonds, coconut, Brussels sprouts
  • Many foods tasted WONDERFUL, better than I ever noticed before without the screen of constant sweetness
  • Lost a lot of weight (not fully attributable to no sweeteners, I know)

I did this for a good, long while, but I did get tired of how bitter some foods were and so gradually I began to add sweeteners back in (erithrytol and xylitol work best for me), tiny bits at first but then use creept up and up and I find myself relying on sweeteners too much again (I still use very little sweetener compared to most people).

For me, it’s time to do a reset. At the stroke of midnight on NY Eve, the door closes on sweeteners of any kind for me. No “natural sweeteners” like stevia, puree fruit, honey, maple syrup, or molasses (I don’t use these as a general rule anyway!), no artificial sweeteners of any kind (for me that means no erythritol or xylitol). Just real (keto) food.

I’m not setting a hard end date. I plan to do it for a month at least, and then see from there. I’m hoping I will go much longer, but it remains to be seen.

Would anyone like to join me?

It’s a stretch and a challenge, not easy, but big rewards. You can take pride in ANY length of time you do manage it. Let me know if you are joining in.

Sweetener Free May 2017
(mindhunter88) #2

I really want to do this, but planned on eliminating alcohol for January, and then artificial sweeteners for February! I will be following your results as I believe this is part of my 7 week stall!

(Lalena Hutton) #3

I had planned on the same thing. I will join you!

I just spent a month doing this very same thing, November 25th to December 25th. I did lose a few pounds although there was a 5 day Zornfast during that time too. I learned I really like unsweetened beverages like LaCroix and Perrier instead of diet soda. I miss my fatty deserts though so not ready to go without again. It’s a great thing to experiment with!

(jketoscribe) #5

Join us when you can!

(jketoscribe) #6

Great!

(Kim parker) #7

I want to get to this point, I really do. I don’t use sweeteners often just once packet of Truvia in my coffee because I don’t enjoy the bitterness of the coffee at all! Were you a coffee drinker before keto and if so, did the bitterness bother you? Great Idea and I wish you all the best!

(jketoscribe) #8

I’ve been drinking coffee since high school (coming up on my 40th reunion!). I like to joke that I’ll drink ANY white liquid in my coffee before I’ll drink it black, even paint.

I gave up any sweeteners in coffee a long time ago but what I cannot give up is cream of some type. If you are off sugar and sweeteners, you’ll notice just how sweet cream really is, so to me it takes off the bitter edge. Unfortunately, I can’t do cream either, because I’ve turned out to be very dairy intolerant, but coconut milk/cream works just the same for me. It has a natural sweetness that is just enough to take the bitter edge off coffee.

Brewing method makes a difference too. We use a paper cone type filter (Melita style), and IMHO it holds back some of the bitter compounds in coffee differently than a French Press or percolator type brewing system does.

I had to wean myself off sweetener in my coffee. I started by reducing it by half, then half again, until I no longer needed it.

(Kim parker) #9

Ha!!! I’m right there with you on the paint girlfriend! I was a chocolholic of the worst kind, totally and completely addicted to sugar so to even be at this point (for nearly a year!!) is incredible to me! I think a lot of it is in my head, so I’m going to join you. I need to get over this mental block! I use the same filter on my coffee as well, so that’s good to know!

Thank you!

(Meeping up the Science!) #10

Going ZC so may as well, right? :wink:

I really can only use erythritol and stevia, anyway. Splenda is usually…alright, but I don’t have it more than once a month (if that).

(Cathie Condon) #11

I do the same and then afraid of sliding back in. Well I have not replaced all the Toriani syrup- definitely a slippery slope for me. I’m going to think about joining you for January.

(Lalena Hutton) #12

I’ve been doing cold brew coffee and I have noticed is is much less bitter and it really brings out the flavor nuances of the coffee. I brew it overnight and if I want it hot, I pop it in the microwave

(Jacquie) #13

I’m in, too! I came to keto over 2 years ago from Whole30, which is AS free. I stayed AS free on keto for a year (dairy free, too) and felt fabulous. I lost weight I didn’t need to lose but I’m not complaining. :slight_smile: . Gradually added in stevia and erythritol. It’s time to drop them again.

Sweetener Free May 2017
(Guardian of the bacon) #14

I’ll jump right in and join you at the stroke of midnite.

With any luck I’ll make it til at least 8 am.

(melinda) #15

Some other folks and myself are doing ZC January if you want to join us!

(jketoscribe) #16

:wink:

(jketoscribe) #17

I don’t think ZC is for me. But I’m interested in hearing results. Are you going to have offal?

Just a word of advice. Remove all temptations from your cupboards. Throw out or give food away (you decide what’s better…junk food probably better thrown out. Trigger foods that are not junk, but you know will trigger snacking temptations (like nuts or peanut butter) you might want to give away. Just letting you know what worked best for me. Good luck to you all!

(Chloe Richards) #19

I would like to join,
When i was eating the old way, sugar was my crack.
I have been keto for a month but found the sweeteners and keto desserts creeping into my diet and the need to have them daily has become strong.

Abstaining from them will help me to combat the addiction i have to the sweet stuff. As of midnight on the 31/DEC/2016 i will join you!
I will take it month by month and set new goals each month. I look forward to the support.

xx

(Richard Morris) #20

great idea :slight_smile: