Giving 2017 a Sweet-Free Start

(jketoscribe) #8

I’ve been drinking coffee since high school (coming up on my 40th reunion!). I like to joke that I’ll drink ANY white liquid in my coffee before I’ll drink it black, even paint.

I gave up any sweeteners in coffee a long time ago but what I cannot give up is cream of some type. If you are off sugar and sweeteners, you’ll notice just how sweet cream really is, so to me it takes off the bitter edge. Unfortunately, I can’t do cream either, because I’ve turned out to be very dairy intolerant, but coconut milk/cream works just the same for me. It has a natural sweetness that is just enough to take the bitter edge off coffee.

Brewing method makes a difference too. We use a paper cone type filter (Melita style), and IMHO it holds back some of the bitter compounds in coffee differently than a French Press or percolator type brewing system does.

I had to wean myself off sweetener in my coffee. I started by reducing it by half, then half again, until I no longer needed it.

(Kim parker) #9

Ha!!! I’m right there with you on the paint girlfriend! I was a chocolholic of the worst kind, totally and completely addicted to sugar so to even be at this point (for nearly a year!!) is incredible to me! I think a lot of it is in my head, so I’m going to join you. I need to get over this mental block! I use the same filter on my coffee as well, so that’s good to know!

Thank you!

(Meeping up the Science!) #10

Going ZC so may as well, right? :wink:

I really can only use erythritol and stevia, anyway. Splenda is usually…alright, but I don’t have it more than once a month (if that).

(Cathie Condon) #11

I do the same and then afraid of sliding back in. Well I have not replaced all the Toriani syrup- definitely a slippery slope for me. I’m going to think about joining you for January.

(Lalena Hutton) #12

I’ve been doing cold brew coffee and I have noticed is is much less bitter and it really brings out the flavor nuances of the coffee. I brew it overnight and if I want it hot, I pop it in the microwave

(Jacquie) #13

I’m in, too! I came to keto over 2 years ago from Whole30, which is AS free. I stayed AS free on keto for a year (dairy free, too) and felt fabulous. I lost weight I didn’t need to lose but I’m not complaining. :slight_smile: . Gradually added in stevia and erythritol. It’s time to drop them again.

Sweetener Free May 2017
(Guardian of the bacon) #14

I’ll jump right in and join you at the stroke of midnite.

With any luck I’ll make it til at least 8 am.

(melinda) #15

Some other folks and myself are doing ZC January if you want to join us!

(jketoscribe) #16

:wink:

(jketoscribe) #17

I don’t think ZC is for me. But I’m interested in hearing results. Are you going to have offal?

Just a word of advice. Remove all temptations from your cupboards. Throw out or give food away (you decide what’s better…junk food probably better thrown out. Trigger foods that are not junk, but you know will trigger snacking temptations (like nuts or peanut butter) you might want to give away. Just letting you know what worked best for me. Good luck to you all!

(Chloe Richards) #19

I would like to join,
When i was eating the old way, sugar was my crack.
I have been keto for a month but found the sweeteners and keto desserts creeping into my diet and the need to have them daily has become strong.

Abstaining from them will help me to combat the addiction i have to the sweet stuff. As of midnight on the 31/DEC/2016 i will join you!
I will take it month by month and set new goals each month. I look forward to the support.

xx

(Richard Morris) #20

great idea :slight_smile:

(Jacquie) #21

Sugar was my crack, too! Nothing was ever too sweet. Glad you’re joining us. :slight_smile:

(Linda Evans) #22

I need to give this a try. My sweetener use has been slowly increasing and I’ve put a few pounds back on over the last 4 weeks. I attributed it to the holidays but deep down, I know this is what I need to do. I’m in.

(rawethe) #23

I feel like I have all the benefits listed, even using sweetener. BUT, I am going to do an adrenal detox Jan, which includes no sweeteners, so I’m in! Also no caffeine and no dairy. I may live. We’ll see. :flushed::laughing:

(Justin Blow) #24

I’m in for the challenge as well. Great idea!

(melinda) #25

I personally can’t stomach offal!

(Jodi) #26

I’m going to try to squeeze some in. I have a grinder and I’m going to add small amounts of liver and heart to my ground beef.

(Jodi) #27

I’ll join in here too, if you don’t mind, since I’m also doing the ZC challenge. The holidays brought in more sweeteners than I like.