Supplements to improve strength training

(Jake P) #42

The friend I am doing this with is super competitive, so he holds me to coming over, he’s got a nice gym in his basement, and when he doesn’t feel like doing it, he doesn’t want to be the one that skips, so that has been great.

I mostly hit him for some help with form and such, turns out he wanted to do it with me, which is nice because now I don’t have to fight over the squat racks at the gym.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #43

Very nice. Glad you’ve got someone to back you up.

Trying to get my son interested in working out with me. Wouldn’t help with my form, since he doesn’t have the experience to coach me on that, but it might help keep me pushing that little bit harder. So far, though, he’s not really interested, and I’m not going to push it.

(Jake P) #44

Thanks.

(eat more) #45

it could help with your form through teaching…you’d be watching his to make sure he’s safe which in turn makes you more aware of yours :blush:

(Jake P) #46

True. I have noticed this.

(yess) #47

Hi
I think you should try casien protein supplement because Casein lasts longer in your system.Not all proteins are created equal. Whether it’s soy, egg, whey, animal, or casein protein, they all have their own unique advantages. Arguably, casein’s greatest strength is timing. Casein has the ability to provide your bloodstream with a slow and steady flow of amino acids that could last for hours. Muscles may not be built overnight, but drinking a glass of casein-rich milk is the ideal protein to consume right before bed, as it’ll be more helpful throughout the night than any other protein option.

(Jeff Ryan) #49

Did you do a bit of self research if you got any gains from taking that supplement?

(Jeff Ryan) #51

Yes it’s quite expensive to buy so there isn’t much research if it actually works or not.

(Matthew Gibson) #52

hey guys~ another weight lifter here :slight_smile: .

Lots of experience with creatine/and other sups while NOT ketogenic so learning what to introduce back in now that i have a nice reading of ketones every day (usually blood readings between 2-3). I have this suspicion that creatine plus good sea salt + l-citruline + caffeine is the way to go pre-workout for extra intensity/pumps- I also swallow 1-2 tbsp of mct oil- because i fear losing my ketone levels due to insulin response… i’ve noticed that after on 3 days of 1 serving of creatine before my workout my arms have filled out similarly to how they use to pre-keto- and i still weighed 183lb this morning (16% body fat).

I’d just like your thoughts on what else you throw into your preworkout- or postworkout- what has affected your ketone levels- do you continue to lean up(lose bodyfat) while using creatine? my past experience when bulking not in keto was i would gain muscle and fat (been up to 225lbs, currently 183lbs @ 16% bodyfat (5’10). for example, i’ve seen people post that they use LIGHT CORN SYRUP before a workout because they say it goes straight to muscle glycogen instead of being processed in the liver… any truth to this? My goals are- reduce bodyfat and weight~~ to 175ish or less~~ maintain strength~~ and work up to 400lb bench.

Also interested in any communities where people share their success stories building muscle/leaning up while in ketosis… and overcoming obstacles etc… testimonials etc… i do listen to 2 keto dudes, jimmy moore, keto talk, and some ketogenic athlete podcasts

(jilliangordona) #53

MCT oil is going to be your best bet for pre workout, that’s my go to after dropping BCAAs and pre workout.

Granted, I am trying to start lifting in a way that is purely what my body is capable of with fat, instead of being assisted with caffeine and other stimulants, but that’s just a personal thing for me.

(Matthew Gibson) #54

Good for you! Caffien e is hard to break, how much did you use to take a day? I’m prolly around 600mg <200mg 3 times a day>

(jilliangordona) #55

I do still drink a cup of cold brew in the mornings, but I don’t workout until 6pm or so. I’m sure it has some sort of effect… but I avoid it after 12pm and close to a workout.

It’s contested here, but my boyfriend who lifts quite a bit does do carb ups on some days, he eats a banana 30 mins before we workout. This helps him retain some of his explosiveness

(ianrobo) #56

Whilst away in the Alps cycling I had a discussion directly about this topical with a guy into this (and cycling) jeez he pulled some power on a bike !

However I firmly believe the need for supplements for most average people is simply not there if you eat the correct foods. Certainly for Keto athletes if needed just eat a bit more protein, why buy expensive supplements ?

It does depend on your level of course, I do not deny this but I think it is dangerous talk if you are eating correctly Keto to think you need them.

(Jeff Ryan) #57

Well so far from my experience with keto. I found that eating before hand especially when doing a heavy leg session I have a stronger output.

I have done all what everyone recommends like take more electrolytes(mag,sod, Potassium), MCT oil pre workouts with no carbs. It all worked but then still felt like I plateud further down the track. So I then I ate before I worked out and I felt so much stronger and pumped.

Some people say fast but it doesn’t quite work for me especially leg days.

I hope that helps.

(Matthew Gibson) #58

I did an experiment last week and did a modified fast from tuesday 11am to thursday 6pm. The goal was to see if i would be weaker without meals. The only thing i allowed during the fast was bcaa(10cal per scoop), creatine in the morning, 1-2tbsp mct oil instead of meals, and of course Real Sea Salt, magnesium, zinc-- and lots of water.

On tuesday at 4pm, I did a test of strength: max number of reps for bench of 225lbs- I got 19 without a spotter. On Thursday at 5pm (over 48 hours later), I got 225 for 20 reps(with a spotter). No additional carbs, veggies, or fat during this time period.

Conclusion- i noticed water did not deplete as much as usually- i assume due to the creatine and real salt that i ingested. I have heard that ketones compliment bcass in the blood and that ketones are protective of lean body mass. I did lose 3 or so lbs, which i gained back over the weekend.

So, moving forward… I am looking at the idea to continue the addition of creatine and bcaa’s while eating keto, timed in the morning and before/during or after a workout. with the idea to build lean body mass.

blood ketones were .5-1.5 during the time period.

(Jeff Ryan) #59

When you lost 3lbs was that muscle or fat or water?

(Luiz Felipe Ungericht) #60

I love this podcast man. I also consider purchasing their Maps program. Did you buy it?

(Andrew) #61

Yes, and I love it. I have the super bundle. I’ve gone through Red, half way through Black (one more week of phase 2 then on to phase 3)and the kettlebell program so far. I also use Prime daily. My strength and physique have grown and changed tremendously. So has my love for exercise.

(Sari) #62

Priceplow has a video series on youtube where Mike is testing different supplements and there affect on his ketone levels. N-1 test, not anything scientific, but interesting.

(Sari) #63

Andrew are you a member of the FB forum for mindpump?